Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild camping weston supermare.

Hi
    I'm new to the group, so hope I'm doing this right. I'd like to ask if anyone has had experience of wild camping in Weston supermare woods please?
    Last edited by Snoberts; 31-08-2017, 12:15 PM.

Just to say hello and welcome Snoberts

Comment

Hello and welcome.

I visited quite a few years ago but haven't camped there.

It was quite neglected and overgrown then but I believe it's now managed by Natural England as a Local Nature Reserve. There is also the hill fort designated as a Scheduled Monument. I suspect both these designations prohibit camping.

Do you mean tent camping or in a van?

If in a van you could check out the NT car park at Sand Point a bit further out of town. It used to be quite popular. Might even find a tent pitch further out on the point. Again I haven't been for many years so check out first.

Comment

Hi Snoberts Welcome to the forum.

W-s-M is not a million miles from where I live. I have often been to Worlebury Woods at dusk, dog walking but have have never seen anyone wild camping there. On the road back from Sand Point to Weston (the coastal, ex-toll road) there are a couple of car parks you could try, one is about half way from Sand Point to the junction with Sand Road. The other smaller but more private one is closer to the junction with Kewstoke Road (that follows the coast along to Weston) As the road bends round to the left, by the Commodore Hotel the car park is on the right. (It is NOT the pub car park, they have their own!) If you follow the Kewstoke Road towards Weston there are a couple of wide laybys. Quite a nice place to stop as you have the coast on one side and the bottom end of Worlebury Woods on the other.

Right down the other end of town is Uphill, a small village with a dog-friendly beach, on which you can park. I don't know whether the charges are payable 24/7 and haven't noticed whether there are any restrictions on MHs/campervans. You do however need to take careful note of the tide times as on spring tides the high water line has caught out many an unsuspecting parked motorist! Better to drive inland 1/4 mile and park opposite Uphill Boat Yard, just past the flood defence sluice gates. It's the start of the brand new Uphill to Brean Cyclepath/footpath and includes Uphill Nature reserve.

Further inland just off the A371 Banwell/Wells road is Locking Parklands, which used to be RAF Locking. There's a lot of housing going up but still a large area laid to grass, and a nice scattering of trees. If you turn left (from Weston) into the Parklands and left again at the mini roundabout , pass the little chapel and turn left again into a parking area I doubt you'd get turfed off if you wanted to wild camp there. I have seen MHs, camper vans and even tents pitched there. A lovely spot for a quick dog walk.

I will warn you though, Weston suffers, like a lot of other popular seaside resorts, from rather a lot of nocturnal activity from boy racers so I wouldn't guarantee a particularly peaceful night!

Hope you find somewhere suitable for your stopover.
        Cynthia.

Comment

Cynthia, If we still had the thank you button- I'd have thanked you

Jon
          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Thanks Cynthia, I needed that, I am coming your way next week to collect a new camper from Cavan. I think the new version of thanks is like so I've pressed that.
            The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

I typed DAVAN not what my phone chose to change it to.

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
                Cynthia, If we still had the thank you button- I'd have thanked you

Jon
                Jon - I think the "like" button has replaced the thanks button. That's what I am using it for, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post

Jon - I think the "like" button has replaced the thanks button. That's what I am using it for, anyway.
                  That's correct the like button is in the bottom right hand corner of the post and has replaced the thanks button on this version.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also shop online at our Accessories Store

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post

That's correct the like button is in the bottom right hand corner of the post and has replaced the thanks button on this version.
                    And GasGas
                    Yes I did the like button - the green dot shows.

Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X