Crash Helmets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash Helmets

We have two crash heimets for motorcycling. Burgundy colour, full face . Both in good condition. One is a ladies size, mine, worn possibly 3 times, the other is a larger man's size worn more often. These are free to anyone who can make use of them. We will be at Kingsbury meet and can bring them along for anyone interested.

If you haven't got rid of these by the Newark meeting I'll take them off your hands, that is providing you are attending that rally... If you manage to pass them on before Newark then so be it!
    I am too old to know everything!

Comment

If Pendel isn't coming to Newark we could get them at Kingsbury and bring them to you at Newark JimBro

Comment

That would be good, thanks for the offer. I will let others have a chance first though.

Comment

These helmets are very precise on size. To work properly when you need them, they have to be an exact fit and even the same theoretical size in a shop can be comfortable or painful or too loose. So you are right to bring them to a meet and let people try them on. Just a shade too small will give the wearer a headache after half an hour and too big will rattle round on the head and possibly come flying off in the event of an accident. I was taught that the right size is when you have to exert just a little sideways force on the two sides when you put it on. When you see in films and TV them just sliding the helmet onto the head, that is too loose.
          Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

A quote...

Riders will generally replace their helmets every three to five years, while some manufacturers will recommend that you replace your helmet roughly seven years after its production date. You can usually find the production date on a sticker underneath a section of the comfort liner.

from here

http://motorcycle-central.com/why-do...elmets-expire/

I've gone through a lot of helmets, and through a lot of carabiners and other climbing gear....I hold certificates for industrial height access...including rescue...and the risk assessments involved.....and I see the need for keeping track of ones gear.. things like LOLER (http://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment...nery/loler.htm) and PUWER (https://www.isisafety.com/puwer-regs/) are my bread and butter...

I all the time almost cry when I have to take something out of service....but I see the need to do it..

As an example, our climbing helmets are now to old, even if we are going for an easy Klettersteig we have to replace them, same for the lanyards and the carabiners......
            Last edited by NiedrigerIQ; 20-01-2019, 22:28.
            All links above are not worth your time.....

Comment

As a PS

https://irata.org
              All links above are not worth your time.....

Comment

I will bring them to the next meet that we are able to attend. Anyone who wants them can take them.

Comment

I don't understand what there is in motorbike crash helmets that deteriorates just from age. The sceptical part of me (99%) thinks they say that just to keep the sales of new helmets running. At a motorbike club I belonged to one evening some of us took our old crash helmets to see what would happen when we gave them a good seeing to. You have to wield a sledge hammer at it like the chap who bangs a gong at the start of the old Rank Films in order to even crack a twenty year old helmet. With that force your neck would be broken if you were wearing it and came off at 140 mph.
                  We were told that if we want to dispose of an old helmet we should take it to a fire station and give it to them to practice removing a helmet from someone who had been in an accident. I have done that with several of mine and they have always been gratefully received.
                  Do not worry about tomorrow, tomorrow will worry about itself.

Comment

Back in the day, when I was a Bikers chick we had a helmet, any old helmet would do because we only wore them to stop the parents worrying & the Police hassling us because back then, it wasn't law. We would scream along the new underpass at The Ace of Spades at Surbiton doing a ton. I don't think any helmet would have saved us but we were invincible back then, at least , we thought we were.

Comment

pendel please see posts #2 & #3 above...

Comment

Polycarbonate helmets become brittle as a result of UV light and fibreglass whilst better still suffer. There is also west and tear. The foam padding inside becomes compressed and eventually breaks down to dust. Think of your favourite chair at home. This means the helmet gets loose. The manufacturer has to set a date but they can't possibly know how its been handled or looked after or dropped. I wouldn't consider wearing someone else's helmet.

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X