As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Folding Caravan

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folding Caravan

Hi all,
    Not posted in a while though I do visit, I was going down the route of converting my Peugeot partner in to a mini camper, got the plans, wood, awning, cooker and my wife decides it will be two small for us and does not want the dogs to sleep in the awning.
    So hence this spring will be looking for a folding caravan. Now I have never seen one, but what I have seen on the internet looks the biz for us as it will only be week-ends away we would be using it for.
    Do any members have any information on folding caravans, I see about 5 different makes I would like to know if any are made from glass fibre?
    If anyone on here knows of one coming up for sale I would appreciate any details or information.
    Cheers,
    Bodach

We wanted to have a look at some too! Bit thin on the ground and I dont think we are great at producing small niche vans in the UK.

There is a company in Dorset that seems to carry a lot of secondhand ones.
    Link Not been there yet, but thought we would pop in when we are next down south. Even further for you, but you might get some info from the website.

There is a firm in Norfolk that makes them. They seem very expensive and a bit of the heavyside for my money. Link Main website link

There was an article on a new model in this months Caravan Club Magazine, cant remember the model, I am away from home at the moment. Will check later.
    Mary

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
      We wanted to have a look at some too! Bit thin on the ground and I dont think we are great at producing small niche vans in the UK.

There is a company in Dorset that seems to carry a lot of secondhand ones.
      Link Not been there yet, but thought we would pop in when we are next down south. Even further for you, but you might get some info from the website.

There is a firm in Norfolk that makes them. They seem very expensive and a bit of the heavyside for my money. Link Main website link

There was an article on a new model in this months Caravan Club Magazine, cant remember the model, I am away from home at the moment. Will check later.
      The model in the Caravan Club Magazine is the all-new Pennine Artemis. It appears to be GRP and the model was supplied for test by The Pennine Group, Chester Street, Accrington, Lancs BB5 0SD tel: 01254 385991.

Graham and Carole

Comment

Nice one on Ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rapido-Exp...item3a6f9fcc2d

Look to buying one now (before the spring) as the first sign of nice weather all the prices go up! LOL!
        Last edited by jayjay; 26-01-2012, 13:39.

Comment

Thanks all,

Will keep my eyes on ebay and pre-loved for one, checked the links and saw the new price! Second hand for me.

Cheers,

Bod

Comment

Originally posted by Bodach View Post
            Thanks all,

Will keep my eyes on ebay and pre-loved for one, checked the links and saw the new price! Second hand for me.

Cheers,

Bod
            I agree, new ones are eyewatering prices - but it is always useful to look at what is being produced. May give you more of an idea of what to look for on the second hand market.
            Mary

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
              Nice one on Ebay here:

Look to buying one now (before the spring) as the first sign of nice weather all the prices go up! LOL!
              My goodness - you could have some fun with that. I was just itching to reupholster and get new curtains!! The video made it look HUGE!! Was a time when it was easy to list of ebay, now you have to have video and appropriate music too
              Mary

Comment

Hi all,
                Not posted in a while though I do visit, I was going down the route of converting my Peugeot partner in to a mini camper, got the plans, wood, awning, cooker and my wife decides it will be two small for us and does not want the dogs to sleep in the awning.
                So hence this spring will be looking for a folding caravan. Now I have never seen one, but what I have seen on the internet looks the biz for us as it will only be week-ends away we would be using it for.
                Do any members have any information on folding caravans, I see about 5 different makes I would like to know if any are made from glass fibre?
                If anyone on here knows of one coming up for sale I would appreciate any details or information.
                Cheers,
                Bodach
                The main name in this field is Gobur,I have seen several,they are very well made and easy to tow and you put them up in about 5 minutes. I would contact gobur as they sometimes have part ex units for sale.
                Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

folding caravan

Nice one on Ebay here:

hi that one on e.bay no way like a mackarno to put up down tom denise

Comment

Hi all,
                    Cheers,
                    Bodach
                    Hi

We've got a Rapido Orline which has glass fibre roof, the sides are a painted aluminium and the wall construction is glass fibre/composite. It's much easier to put up than the rapido on eBay. There's one for sale on the site suggested by Vanderella although we've always thought their prices are on the high side. Try looking for an Esterel too if you don't mind an older van. If you want new then it's Gobur or the Pennine Artemis. Buy now if you can-the prices rocket as Spring approaches.

Good luck with your search, let us know how you get on.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for the information and web sites, the hunt is on but I don't think it will be a dealers price I will be paying. Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Bod

Comment

One of our members, Wanderer, had a folding caravan, I think it was a Gobur - not sure if he sold it but he bought a freedom caravan after that. I wonder if he still has it? He's based in Glasgow, which is a bit nearer to the highlands (but just a bit!) He hasn't been on here for a whiley though.

Thinking about that - have you looked at the freedom caravans? Very lightweight and made of fibreglass - the plus is you don't have to 'construct' them when you get there. Just a thought.

Comment

Nice one on Ebay here:

My son bought a Rapido like this.
                          Very easy to tow and relatively easy to erect and huge inside when erected. But in spite of fitting the largest storage box possible at the front he soon found that a lot of items essential to its comfortable use needed to be carried in the tow vehicle because little can be stored inside when folded. He also found that thermal insulation was virtually innefective.
                          As he had a two seater car like mine it was not very practical.
                          Jim.
                          Last edited by Twolitre; 28-01-2012, 10:58.
                          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Could you put a rack on the caravan roof to carry stuff, or would the max limit on the chassis preclude that?

Comment

Originally posted by Caz View Post
                              Could you put a rack on the caravan roof to carry stuff, or would the max limit on the chassis preclude that?
                              Might be possible Caz, but the top when folded is the underside of half the floor when erected.
                              It is also necessary to be able to reach across the middle to reach the far rail to unfold the van base.
                              Jim.
                              Last edited by Twolitre; 28-01-2012, 21:10.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X