This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Explorer Grill.

At some time the Grill on my Romini has been removed and blanked off. Not a major problem, but I do fancy a bit of toast now and again.

The hob is a stainless steel two burner and the only identification I can find is "Explorer". Can anyone help me with an old unit I can cannibalise. or know where I might purchase the parts needed to restore the grill please?

Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
    At some time the Grill on my Romini has been removed and blanked off. Not a major problem, but I do fancy a bit of toast now and again.

The hob is a stainless steel two burner and the only identification I can find is "Explorer". Can anyone help me with an old unit I can cannibalise. or know where I might purchase the parts needed to restore the grill please?

Jim.
    Explorer still exsist but they dont seem to make those units anymore.
    You may have to look in the caravan breakers for a complete 2 burner +grill.
    OR, get one of those little french gadjets that look like a truncated pyramid and sit on top of your small burner, they make decent toast.
    Goodluck
    Ian

Jim, Gelert make a 4-slice camping toaster that sits on top of one of your burners.
    It costs £2.99 - bargain
    Happy toast burning
    Ian
    Last edited by Ian.C.S; 21-07-2010, 19:26.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Jim I've just taken an Explorer out of my demountable romahome (1985), and replaced it with a 2nd hand ebay special - oven, grill & 2 burner hob. I think Explorers were fitted as standard on demountables looking at internet picis. Unfortunately, the reason I replaced it was that the flames were going sky high through the top vent of the grill, so your capped off one may have had the same problem.
      However, if it is of any use it is still here and you can have it for postage if its of any help. As Ian above has said, the round pierced metal plates with brackets can sit on top of your hob burner for toast. I invested about £2.99 in one from Morrisons earlier in the season (think it was a Great Outdoors model but might have got the name wrong), and as long as you turn the toast upside down half way through, they are a good subsitute for a grill - haven't been able to do chops on them tho....!
      let me know if you want the unit. Its cream in colour and still has its closable top altho its a bit rusty in places (or anybody else if it is of help).

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do have one of those pyramid things. Nice to know that they work. I haven't tried mine yet. I thought I'd like to sort out the grill in case I get adventurous and decided to toast teacakes or something. Who knows? I might even graduate to sausages!

Bluenote: I would like to take up your offer if we can be sure it is the same or compatible. Here's a picture of mine for comparison. You can clearly see where the grill knob used to be.

I think a flaring flame is most likely to be an air adjustment needed. It is on most units.

Regards, Jim.
        Last edited by Twolitre; 21-07-2010, 20:29.
        Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Will check against mine and come back to you later Jim. Unfortunately i won't be able to post a pici, but it looks identical from memory. Alison

Comment

This is what you need for making toast and it will do toasted teacakes very nicely as well. They are about £3 or £4 and available from most camping shops, Argos etc. It only takes a single slice but the toast is done very quickly - the second slice is done well before John has finished eating the first one! Also it folds flat and takes up no space.
            I have heard that the pyramid things need a very fierce heat - ideally a petrol stove.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
              This is what you need for making toast and it will do toasted teacakes very nicely as well. They are about £3 or £4 and available from most camping shops, Argos etc. It only takes a single slice but the toast is done very quickly - the second slice is done well before John has finished eating the first one! Also it folds flat and takes up no space.
              I have heard that the pyramid things need a very fierce heat - ideally a petrol stove.
              I've bought one of these as my continental van has no grill either! I haven't used it yet though. I can't remember if I ever used the grill on my cooker in the Roma, the grill pan was still 'as new' when I sold the van. Did find it useful for a quick heat-up of the 'van when there was no electric hook up once. Now I have a little gadget which sits on top of a cooker ring for a quicky space heater.

My grill had a flare-up once, I found it was that the gas was running out. It was ok again once I had connected a full one.
              Last edited by jayjay; 22-07-2010, 10:05.

Comment

[QUOTE=jayjay; Now I have a little gadget which sits on top of a cooker ring for a quicky space heater.

My grill had a flare-up once, I found it was that the gas was running out. It was ok again once I had connected a full one.[/QUOTE]

Wish i could find one of these gadgets....

Re flare up - I had my gas / caravan man test the unit and it still flared up....he thought the burner had gone, but could be wrong, as he only turned the unit on like I had done.

However, Jim (Twolitres) I've check the pici against mine and it would seem identical apart from colour match - mine has a brown base with upper cream sides and fold down top (rusty in places as I said before), and S/S hob. Its got all its knobs in the same places as yours & your missing one, has identical logo on the right hand side, so think its a match.

I'm happy to forward to you for spares or repairs not as a working unit in view of my comment above. Let me know if you still want it and either reply with your addresss or send a private message with it. It would probably be Monday before I could realistically post, as I'll have to source box or packing materials. Alison

Comment

Hi Alison,

I wish I could find you one! The next time I see them for sale I'll be quick to post a link!

The only thing I think would be the same kind of thing is a tin can with holes for ventilation!

Comment

Jayjay your a star! Thanks Alison

Comment

For anyone wanting one of the toasters that I mentioned earlier, I have seen them today in Wilkinsons for £1.98.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X