• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
    I think the word for that is narcissm.

At least in talking to yourself you'd get an intelligent answer

Comment

I don't know about that. I realise I chose the wrong word, the word for admiring oneself is something like OPEDIOUS, the name of a Greek god who spent all day looking at his own reflection in water. Perhaps some scholar can help us? GeeCee

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
        I don't know about that. I realise I chose the wrong word, the word for admiring oneself is something like OPEDIOUS, the name of a Greek god who spent all day looking at his own reflection in water. Perhaps some scholar can help us? GeeCee
        Graham, are you thinking of Oedipus, the character who married his mother?

Narcissus, on the other hand, was well known for his beauty. He was a hunter who fell in love with his own reflection. So you were right the first time.
        Carpe diem!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

Graham, are you thinking of Oedipus, the character who married his mother?

Narcissus, on the other hand, was well known for his beauty. He was a hunter who fell in love with his own reflection. So you were right the first time.
          The benefits of a classical education methinks
          Jon
          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

BTW Our signatures have disappeared too - NO "Carpe Diem" after Sue's signature - back to settings I guess
            Jon

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post
              BTW Our signatures have disappeared too - NO "Carpe Diem" after Sue's signature - back to settings I guess
              Jon
              They got turned off in the move, just go to your profile and it should be there to turn on. If not it will have to be written again

Comment

Both Nomad Sue and Kernowjon are right, it obviously doesn't do for me to have second thoughts about something. I agree about the classical education, but who wants to go hunting and then marry his mother? GeeCee

Comment

Jon
                  Thank you. I hadn't noticed that! BTW you need a space in yours: vincit omnia. Vincit means 'conquers', and omnia means 'all' . A great signature!

Oops, nobody likes a smartie pants! LOL
                  Carpe diem!

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

Thank you. I hadn't noticed that! BTW you need a space in yours: vincit omnia. Vincit means 'conquers', and omnia means 'all' . A great signature!

Oops, nobody likes a smartie pants! LOL
                    I like smarty pants - an editor is always useful - It will be fixed - Not hiding it so people can see my error Amor vincitomnia et nos cedamus amori

My apologies to Virgil for the digit error
                    Jon
                    Last edited by kernowjon; 03-09-2017, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I like smarty pants - an editor is always useful - It will be fixed - Not hiding it so people can see my error Amor vincitomnia et nos cedamus amori

My apologies to Virgil for the digit error
                      Jon
                      You are teasing me though I admit I had to check the word order myself.

“Amor vincit omnia, et nos cedamus amori.
                      Love conquers all things, so we too shall yield to love.”

Virgil, Virgil: Eclogues
                      Carpe diem!

Comment

I nearly called one of our cats Eadie (Eadie-puss) but decided if you have to explain the joke it's probably not worth it

Comment

It would be a ferocious cat- isn't an Eadiepuss Rex a giant dinosaur? It would probably run round the neighbourhood devouring other cats and small dogs.
                          The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X