Scheduled maintenance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheduled maintenance

The forum may have some down time later tonight due to scheduled maintenance it will be no longer than one hour and will take place around 1am so hopefully it won't affect many people except some night owls. We know from our stats that there are people browsing during the early hours so just to make you aware.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Ooh! You have stats! So we are being spied upon, after all!
    Well I can tell you now that I won't be trying to use the site at 1am so you needn't bother looking.
    Happiness is wanting what you have got.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
      Ooh! You have stats! So we are being spied upon, after all!
      Well I can tell you now that I won't be trying to use the site at 1am so you needn't bother looking.
      We have stats telling us the number of visitors we have at certain times of the day.

Big Brother Graham
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

That reminds me of when I was working on the mobile network in Nigeria. They had user stats of course, and it dropped to a minimum at 02:30. I had to go to a site and take the network down to do a modification so that was the time it had to be done. Of course, I needed an armed guard at that time of night. So there I was, cowering in the back of the truck with my regular driver driving, and the armed guard in the front passenger seat with his gun. The rule apparently is that the guy with the biggest gun wins (it doesn't matter if it works or not) so the armed guard had a thing that looked like an RPG. It had a big sort of bulbous cucumber thing at the end of what might have been the barrel. It was so big it wouldn't fit in the truck so we drove along with this thing sticking out of the window. I don't know anything about guns except that they hurt, so I can't identify it but it did look like it was something you don't want to argue with.
        What fun!

Still, that job paid me enough that I can afford a new motorhome, so it all ended well. In spite of the Army Ammo dump going off, shaking the ground for about ten miles diameter. I think it included cluster bombs because our office building was shaken about several times. It made me jump off my feet when I went up on the roof to see what was going on. That was two weeks after 9/11, and over 2000 local Nigerians were killed in the explosions. It didn't make the news here of course because they are black men, and they are not newsworthy. If 2000 white people are killed, that is a good enough reason to invade someone else's country, but 2000 black people? Not worth reporting.

Comment

gasgas Was it this one?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.t...9/chrismcgreal
          Graham

Comment

Yes, that must be it Graham, though the date doesn't seem quite right. I had thought it was shortly after 9/11 in New York, 11 Sept 2001. Is there a possibility that the Guardian has reported an event some months after it actually happened? The article doesn't give a date for the event but the paper is dated 29 Jan 2002. I'll ask my friend there, who I hope to go and visit early this year. He would know. As for the number of casualties, I can't remmeber where I got my figure of 2000 from, but I guess you realise that these stories relayed verbally can easily get exaggerated. Upwards by Joe Public, and of course downwards by the Government. Also I don't recall the explosions continuing into the evening, I remember it as being all over in thirty minutes or so. Also I don't remember any canals, I thought it was rivers that the people ran into to try and escape and the difficulty there is that generally speaking Nigerians never learn to swim. I did ask the locals who I was working with in the office what we ex-pats should do - rush to the airport and get out? He laughed and said no, it is probably just another military coup, and the first thing they do is to hijack some buses, block the road to the airport and set them on fire so there is no point trying. Just duck under the table and say goodnight.
            Quote "The fire brigade. . . " That's a laugh, there isn't one. Not if they re referring to a public service. They might be referring to a military fire brigade. Our hotel built by the British in the 1950s had two green goddess fire engines in a purpose built garage. However, Nigerian maintenance and practicing putting out fires being nil, nothing had ever been done to these vehicles since independence and the British leaving them to it. Our 13 storey hotel had a fire which started in the basement (because the basement kitchen did not do any maintenance on their fume extraction filters which were clogged with grease) and spread up the lift shafts to the chinese restaurant on the roof. Panic. Run to the fire engines. Oh dear, they don't start. So get twenty healthy local chappies to push it down the road. They got one started and drove it back to the hotel. Chuck the suction hose into the swimming pool, unreel the outlet hose and turn on the water pump. Point the nozzle at the fire at the top of the building. Surprise, surprise no water came out of the nozzle, there were so many holes in the fifty year old hose pipe that the water sprayed out from it like a fountain. So someone is despatched to fetch a replacement hose, and another person ran up to the roof with a rope. They hauled a 'new' hose (also 50 years old but had been kept in a dark cupboard) up to the roof and the pump was just about good enough to get some water up there.
            Anyway our rooms were all smoked out, all the electric cables for the hotel floors ran up the lift shafts so there was no electricity. The hotel had the cheek to try to continue charging us for the rooms and didn't provide any candles or torches. So we all left and went somewhere else.
            Talking of maintenance, while I was there, Shell Oil commissioned an independent survey into maintenance of aircraft of the internal airlines. These aircraft are mostly the scrap ones that companies like EasyJet and Ryanair have given up using. The survey could find only one airline with "any discernable form of routine maintenance". So we were instructed to only use that airline when working in other towns. I had a window seat on one landing, I looked at the wheel and when the pilot applied the brakes, sparks and smoke came from the brakes. I waited till everyone was off, and the pilot came out of the cockpit. I told him what I saw, to see if he was interested. Honestly I wouldn't have thought that a brown man could go pale, but I could see the blood drain from his face. He exclaimed that he was very greatful for me telling him and he wasn't going anywhere with this plane till it was fixed. I was well pleased to find that he took it seriously. I have never seen a brown man go pale before, or since.

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
              That reminds me of when I was working on the mobile network in Nigeria. They had user stats of course, and it dropped to a minimum at 02:30. I had to go to a site and take the network down to do a modification so that was the time it had to be done. Of course, I needed an armed guard at that time of night. So there I was, cowering in the back of the truck with my regular driver driving, and the armed guard in the front passenger seat with his gun. The rule apparently is that the guy with the biggest gun wins (it doesn't matter if it works or not) so the armed guard had a thing that looked like an RPG. It had a big sort of bulbous cucumber thing at the end of what might have been the barrel. It was so big it wouldn't fit in the truck so we drove along with this thing sticking out of the window. I don't know anything about guns except that they hurt, so I can't identify it but it did look like it was something you don't want to argue with.
              What fun!

Still, that job paid me enough that I can afford a new motorhome, so it all ended well. In spite of the Army Ammo dump going off, shaking the ground for about ten miles diameter. I think it included cluster bombs because our office building was shaken about several times. It made me jump off my feet when I went up on the roof to see what was going on. That was two weeks after 9/11, and over 2000 local Nigerians were killed in the explosions. It didn't make the news here of course because they are black men, and they are not newsworthy. If 2000 white people are killed, that is a good enough reason to invade someone else's country, but 2000 black people? Not worth reporting.
              Things don't change very much do they? I remember when New Orleans was badly flooded some years ago and although the then President, George W, had an aerial view from his presidential helicopter as he was advised he should 'show some concern', apparently very little happened in terms of aid reaching the area for a long time. Well, they were mostly black, and Democrat voters to boot......
              Cynthia.

Comment

Graham's link sounds like that was the event but some of what it says don't ring true. It says 600 people died, I heard when I was there that it was about 2000. The Guardian's article is in an issue dated 29 Jan 2002 whereas I recall it (maybe wrongly, I accept) as having happened a couple of weeks after Twin Towers. Possibly the article was written some months after the event because the article itself doesn't give a date.
                The problem with numbers of people is they don't really have a system for telling if people have gone missing or not. It is common to leave your village out in the bundu and walk to a town such as Lagos to seek work. As you are very poor you don't have a phone so anyone who knew you in your village might well never see you again and they wouldn't know if you were dead or alive. If you were found dead and no on-lookers knew you, there probably is no way to identify you. Bodies aren't necessarily buried - I have seen them floating down the river, so some may have just floated away out to sea. I was not aware of any 'canals' when I was there, only rivers, but looking at Google maps there are some stretches of straight water that might be canals.
                Anywhow, looking at youtubes of Lagos it would seem that life has taken an upturn since I was there, and I intend to go back for a holiday soon. There are a lot of videos on youtube that make the place look as if it has uplifted itself considerably since I was there. I will stay with the chap who was a young engineer when I was there, he thought I was his boss! That gave me a shock when he introduced me to someone as his boss, I didn't realise I was a boss! I suppose I was, because I gave him work to do. Anyway he has made a very good job of improving himself, he has started his own mobile phone company, installs prepayment electric meters for the distribution company, bought a farm and employs women workers who are thrilled to get work when women normally don't.

Comment

This is way off topic but if anyone reading this is interested, it is about a Nigerian lady who has started a massive initiative to train women to be car mechanics.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4otavrlO3Zc

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X