Links within messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Links within messages

For a while now I have found that clicking on a link within a message only leads to a blank screen. In order to see what the link is I have to copy the link and search with the browser. Is there a setting within the forum that solves this problem - or do you think it is more likely something in my computer's set-up?

Many thanks

Liz

I haven't noticed an issue, could you provide a link to one of the threads that you have encountered the problem on?
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

...that was a bit of a tall order as they disappear from the new messages list as soon as you read them - and I the forget what I have read! However, in the Archery thread Inset provided a list of links about archery clubs - these links only result in a white screen with "About:blank" in the browser box. If I copy the link into the browser, the relevant page opens immediately. II would try to do a screen-shot (albeit a boring one) but don't know how.

TY

Liz

Comment

Hi Lizp, just checked those links and they work for me. They open in another window so no idea why they do not work for you.

By the way if you want to do a screen shot you just click 'CTRL key' and 'Prt Sc Sys Rq' (top line on my keyboard) keys together and then paste wherever you wish. I usually paste it into a word document and then pull the corner until it is the size I want. You may not be able to resize the image it or move it but if that happens just right click it and select Text Wrapping and choose any one of those and then you will be able to manipulate the image.

Always a nuisance when these little niggles occur and you don't know if it is you or the system.

Comment

Just revisted the thread and the links work for me
          Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Yep they work for me via the forumrunner app and using the web on my iphone, so I guess it must be setting on your bowser.

What Internet browser are you using? And which operating system? XP, win 7/8?
            Last edited by glenw; 07-02-2014, 14:06.
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

...I had no doubt the links worked as no-one else seemed to be complaining!!! I'm using Windows 8 and am not aware of having changed any settings in it - though there may be something I have inadvertently - it was just that the way links are handled changed a few weeks ago. I shall have a delve into Windows settings otherwise I shall continue copying links when I can be bothered. It's times like this when I miss my IT nifty colleagues at work

I have searched all the settings in the forum that I have access to and can't see anything obvious - I wasn't sure whether there was anything more central than that

Thanks

Liz

Comment

Have you got a pop-up blocker of some kind? That might be on your browser settings or anti-virus software.

Mazzer

Comment

...good thought , Mazzer. I would have thught there would be some warning - a message normally shows up saying something has been blocked and giving choices of actions to take.

All this may just be me being impatient and expecting the link to open now rather, than appears to be the case, 10 minutes later! I went away to study the arcane art of Windows settings (with no success, I may add) and came back to the tabs I had left open to find more information about archery clubs than I probably need I shall now do some disc housework - a convenient excuse for not doing any real housework - and see if that helps

Liz

Comment