If you are registered here with a BT email address

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are registered here with a BT email address

BT are frequently blocking certain emails, not just from here but from lots of other servers and systems too, it seems they are being a bit over zealous with what they think is spam.

If you are registered here with a BT email address and you are not receiving your notification messages, registration messages etc. you can add smallmotorhome.co.uk to your BT safe sender options and this might help.

There are instructions in this link on how to do it, it is about half way down the page in a drop down menu called "Using the safe sender feature":

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...-spam-features

Another option would be to use a different email address for your forum account if you have one.

All this is totally beyond our control but if we can help we will do all we can.

Hi Pauline,
    Today I have been met with a "notifications: 1! at the top right of my newly loaded Forum Screen.
    Clicking brought up a PM I responded to a day or two ago.
    Just to be sure I responded again, but reloading the forum screen afterwards it is still there! Sorry to bother you.

However. This gives the opportunity to ask you to pass on a "Happy Birthday" to Graham from me.

Keep up the good work!
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
      Hi Pauline,
      Today I have been met with a "notifications: 1! at the top right of my newly loaded Forum Screen.
      Clicking brought up a PM I responded to a day or two ago.
      Just to be sure I responded again, but reloading the forum screen afterwards it is still there! Sorry to bother you.

However. This gives the opportunity to ask you to pass on a "Happy Birthday" to Graham from me.

Keep up the good work!
      Jim.
      I don't think it would have anything to do with you using a BT email address Jim, more likely just a computer cache or cookie issue which might clear next time you switch off/on

Graham says thanks for the birthday wishes

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
        I don't think it would have anything to do with you using a BT email address Jim, more likely just a computer cache or cookie issue which might clear next time you switch off/on

Graham says thanks for the birthday wishes
        If it doesn't Jim, - go to 'delete history'
        Tick only the boxes 'empty cache' and 'remove cookies'.
        When my computer 'is on a go-slow' and I get the message
        'waiting for cache', this action always speeds it up.
        Best of luck,
        Bernard.
        A barrel organs life is one long grind?

Comment

Just to let you know - I run a website with much smaller forum for my Amateur Radio Club and this BT automatically marking forum messages as spam has been a real problem there too.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post
            Just to let you know - I run a website with much smaller forum for my Amateur Radio Club and this BT automatically marking forum messages as spam has been a real problem there too.
            Thanks Brian, while "good to know" isn't the right words, it is good to know that others are indeed having the same problem.

Our host have suggested that anyone having problems with BT should complain to BT about it, I asked if they had any template complain letters because not everyone knows what to say or how to describe the problem, but they didn't have anything.

I think the best thing you could say to BT is that YOU want to choose what is marked ask spam, not them!

On another note I wouldn't use an email address that is tied to my internet provider because if you leave you lose it. We had that problem with NTL World, we had email addresses for many years with them but when we left we lost them and had to start again, we decided to go with gmail then.

Comment

On another note I wouldn't use an email address that is tied to my internet provider because if you leave you lose it. We had that problem with NTL World, we had email addresses for many years with them but when we left we lost them and had to start again, we decided to go with gmail then.
              Pauline I couldn't agree with you more. I am a huge fan of Gmail - I had one of the early accounts with them back in 2004! The email address I use may not appear to be a Gmail address because I actually use a simple alias address which redirects to my actual Gmail email - again giving me another way of not being stuck should I want to change. If I did ever want to leave Gmail (I can't think why I might) I just need to point my alias to whatever my new email address is and everything works as before.

Comment

Pauline I couldn't agree with you more. I am a huge fan of Gmail - I had one of the early accounts with them back in 2004!
                I remember in those days you had to be 'invited' to have a gmail address, now they take just anyone

Comment

The email address I use may not appear to be a Gmail address because I actually use a simple alias address which redirects to my actual Gmail email - again giving me another way of not being stuck should I want to change. If I did ever want to leave Gmail (I can't think why I might) I just need to point my alias to whatever my new email address is and everything works as before.
                  Can you explain how to do this, Brian? I'm on BT mail and get so much spam it's unreal! I would love to be able to forward things to a Gmail address. If you leave BT, I presume you would also be able to redirect from another one as well.

Comment

Jayjay - what you are asking isn't what I do (I'll explain in a mo) - I think you want to migrate from BT to Gmail, whilst keeping your BT mail open and getting any emails sent to your BT address aIso sent to Gmail. That's what folk normally do when setting up a Gmail account (and indeed what I did 12 years ago) .I was going to write some detailed steps but there's probably better info on the web

Google's own help
                    https://support.google.com/mail/answer/56283?hl=en
                    or
                    https://www.redstampmail.com/resourc...tinternet.com/
                    http://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-to-migrate-to-gmail/

Or just use BTs forwarding option
                    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...p-auto-forward

Any other these 'ought' to work to get your mail both in BT and Gmail. Probably the Google one is better as BT may not forward what it thinks is spam.

Now if you leave BT and want to maintain your BT email address you will have to pay by signing up to BT Premium Mail - see https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/a...ask-our-expert

What I did - I registered an internet domain ivarc.org.uk for my radio club I set up an alias ******(at)ivarc.org.uk which aliased to my old pre-google Pipex mail account. When I move to Google I just repointed that alias at my Gmail account so people who used my alias email address automatically got their mail sent to my Gmail account. I also auto-forwarded anything from my Pipex account to Gmail just in case anyone sent to me real Pipex email. A year or so later I moved off Pipex to BeThere and have sinced moved again.

If you stick with BT long enough so that all your friends and everyone else uses your Gmail account then if you do leave it email shouldn't be a bother since Gmail is independent of your internet supplier. There's no real need for an alias - although it is nice to have the thought that if I ever fall out with Gmail I can leave without problems - no-one uses my Gmail email address.

Does this help? - why not register for Gmail and forward the BT mails to it. You don't have to stick with it if you don't like it. Personally I find its search facility absolutely invaluable and it works well on Android phones (probably OK on Apple too) so is much easier when away in the van.

Comment