Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the omission of location and outfit on the new forum (as far as I can make out anyway) deliberate?
    I always thought it was useful for posters needing help or personal advice. Or even perhaps a way to contact others forum users in the area socially.
    I always thought it was a step to being a community of like minds.
    Only a few weeks ago I was able to help out a contributor from the West Country on another forum with a rare car part which I was able to take to the Devizes meet for him to collect. As several Small Motor Home attendees became aware when he collected the part when initially I was off site.
    Jim.
    Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
    Is the omission of location and outfit on the new forum (as far as I can make out anyway) deliberate?
    I always thought it was useful for posters needing help or personal advice. Or even perhaps a way to contact others forum users in the area socially.
    I always thought it was a step to being a community of like minds.
    Only a few weeks ago I was able to help out a contributor from the West Country on another forum with a rare car part which I was able to take to the Devizes meet for him to collect. As several Small Motor Home attendees became aware when he collected the part when initially I was off site.
    Jim.
    quick click on the posters name Jim and all,well nearly all is revealed.

Comment

apologies Jim, you are right. it would be reasonable and interesting to know of posters whereabouts.

Comment

Strangely enough Jim, this was something I've been looking at recently. (Great minds think alike!)

The 'location' and 'my unit' were added in the old forum as what they call hacks, e.g. adding extra code that isn't in the original design.

The new design doesn't allow for hacks, which is good in a way because unless you are sure the code being used it safe it can lead to the site being insecure but a shame if you are always careful as to what you use.

I'm currently trying to find out how we add additional info to the profile of members, although it is very unlikely that it will ever show in the profile info next to each post but it would be nice if it showed when you clicked on their name at least.

Watch this space!

Comment

Originally posted by doog View Post
          apologies Jim, you are right. it would be reasonable and interesting to know of posters whereabouts.
          It does show the users location - yours is showing "Canterbury" Doog. It's just the unit that is not showing now.

If someone's profile doesn't show anything then it is because they didn't enter anything - which is their choice for privacy.

Comment

Found it!

Strange how a lightbulb moment suddenly happens!

If you click on someones name next to their post, then in their profile click "about" all the info is there. Here's the "about" button

profile info.png

Comment

Thanks Pauline,
              I just clicked my user name and I was fully exposed !!!
              Unfortunately though, I would never have thought to do that. Will others?
              But will newbys be aware of that and miss out on a possibility of "hands on" help or whatever?
              Jim.
              Last edited by Twolitre; 12-10-2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                Thanks Pauline,
                I just clicked my user name and I was fully exposed !!!
                Unfortunately though, I would never have thought to do that. Will others?
                But will newbys be aware of that and miss out on a possibility of "hands on" help or whatever?
                Jim.
                Rest assured you are only 'fully exposed' to members of the forum. Non members or those not logged in cannot see your info

Yes you are right that new members might not know they can find more information, all we can do is provide the details of how to find it, maybe in reply to a new members question or 'hello' messages?

Comment

Maybe when welcoming new members we could point out the advantages in providing their rough location and what unit they have. Although of course "in front of my computer" isn't terribly helpful in that respect, Pauline!

Comment

Thanks for your response and effort Pauline. I just hope that members will find it an asset when seeking advice and perhaps even hands on help with solving problems.
                    Jim.

Comment

I never thought that I would see Jim Fully Exposed!
                      Now my life is complete I can meet my Maker with no regrets.
                      The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

I've just updated my status so now I am also fully exposed.
                        Don't Look Mavis, it's not a pretty sight.
                        The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X