'Related Topics'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Related Topics'

Is it just me, or do the newly-included Related Topics bear only extremely tenuous links to the thread to which they are attached?

Personally I just find them a distraction. I haven't clicked on any of them as yet as A) I've already read them previously or B) they are completely irrelevant.
    Or is that just me wearing my Victor Meldrew cap again?

What does everyone else think? Personally I would rather just have a more reliable photo uploading system than this rather superfluous '(un)Related Topics' section. Sorry Graham and Pauline , I do actually appreciate you put a lot of work into keeping the forum running smoothly.....
    Cynthia.

The feature is really new and will take time for it to establish itself and find related items. I've noticed some great links especially in the technical areas.

I suppose it all depends on what people are saying, using keywords from the posts. Something technical will have easier keywords to find.

As regards a "reliable" photo upload have you tried the camera icon yet? We've had good feedback on that.

Comment

I notice there are no "Related Topics" on this thread yet

CyberCynth Strange I have no problems with photos - I use the camera icon from the text menu of the post, click the 'Upload tab', select a picture from the PC and then click 'send it to server'. Seems to work reliably and consistently. I don't play with the 'Image Info' tab but I resize the photo once it's been uploaded by dragging a corner and can reposition too by dragging the handle off the top tight corner of the picture. Sometimes I find it difficult to find the bit of the picture that allows me to resize it. Also I ought really use the 'Image Info' tab to insert a description - years of working it IBM instilled in me that ALL pictures and illustrations should have good descriptions for visually impaired and blind readers who may be relying on text to speech readers to read the page.

Don't forget Graham and Pauline don't own the software behind the site, they are at the mercy of the people who provide vBulletin. I'm sure they pass our feedback to the developers.

But like you, I've not really used the 'related posts' links. I suspect they work OK when folks are talking techy stuff about vans but not so much use for those of us who use the forum just to chit-chat.

Comment

CyberCynth the trouble with a lot of threads on the forum they start on one subject and meander over lots of different subjects so there’s possibly a related subject somewhere in the thread.

That’s not a criticism of people who wander off topic by the way, I’m guilty of it myself it’s the natural thing with conversations.

If you aren’t interested in the related topics just ignore them.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by BrianTheSnail View Post

Don't forget Graham and Pauline don't own the software behind the site, they are at the mercy of the people who provide vBulletin. I'm sure they pass our feedback to the developers.
          Thanks Brian, yes we do give regular feed back we have our own forum for vBulletin admins and we (well mostly Pauline) often makes suggestions and give feedback along with others and very often the feedback is acted upon in the next upgrade.

Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

A perfect example of going off topic which might create a "related topic" is the Karcher one.

It's title is "What did I do before Karcher?" but there is now a discussion regarding silver screens in there. It's not a problem, it's a natural progression discussing condensation but it might mean on another thread about silver screens that the Karcher one is shown as related, which it is, but you wouldn't know from the title.

Comment