• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise ships

i have just seen this sad video on the BBC website

i never like seeing good ships dying
    jon
    The cruise industry was hit hard by the pandemic, and no-sail orders put in place by some countries.
    Fast becoming a GOG (Grumpy Old Git:joker:)

Yes. It is sad to see. I have happy memories of three cruises: one short one to Norway, special offer with the Daily Express, a couple of days on the Nile, and a longer one in the Caribbean, to see my son getting married.

I dream of going on a Northern Lights cruise along the coast of Norway, but wonder now if this will ever be possible. 🤔
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
      Yes. It is sad to see. I have happy memories of three cruises: one short one to Norway, special offer with the Daily Express, a couple of days on the Nile, and a longer one in the Caribbean, to see my son getting married.

I dream of going on a Northern Lights cruise along the coast of Norway, but wonder now if this will ever be possible. 🤔
      I am sure it will be possible one day. I think depends on 2 things. A. The development of an effective vaccine, probably one result of Covid will be a greater demand for the International Vaccination Certificate. Back in the 60s on merchant ships every time one signed on a new ship it was a multitude of vaccinations, smallpox, yellow fever, typhus etc
      Maybe Covid Vaccination will be a condition for crew and passengers

The second issue is the ventilation of ships, not just cruise liners. Most of the worlds aircraft carriers have been badly affected by Covid. Due in part to how the air circulates between compartments. So I think there must be some redesigning going on.

Keep dreaming
      Jon

Comment

These 3 have been "parked2 in Glasgow for months now:

Cruise Ships1.jpg

Comment

What about the ferries running between all our islands off the coasts of the UK? How are the people who live on those islands coping?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            What about the ferries running between all our islands off the coasts of the UK? How are the people who live on those islands coping?
            Jayjay the ferries are relatively fine - the problem is in big ships where there are internal compartments (cabins) with no fresh air ventilation - air circulation is through a forced air system, so someone coughs in one compartment and the aerosol bugs / virus(s) (virii ?) is carried in the forced air to other compartments ad of course breathed by the occupants.

Historically trans ocean ships have been carriers of epidemics - hence the YELLOW JACK a plain yellow flag ships flew when entering port until cleared - Q flag - Quarantine.

Jon

Comment

I wondered about that, Jon. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Surprised to see those ships in dock Gregor . The ones off the coast down here are sat in the channel to a avoid port fees. Pity the poor crews.

Comment

We should all have ID cards with the vazinations on it and have to show it to visit any enclosed space??
                  living the life in a field

Comment

Originally posted by buzzbaby View Post
                    We should all have ID cards with the vazinations on it and have to show it to visit any enclosed space??
                    But, as I understand it, havng had the two injections against Covid is no guarantee that you will be covid-free say 9 months down the line (If 'flu jabs are anything to go by, anyway.)

Comment

thats the silly argument the anti flu jab brigade use.. and it won't happen to me . no one will tell me what to do .I have had the flu jab since I was 60 .Mum used her common sense and gave me all the child vaxinations . I can think of thousand of reasons not to take a risk . but will defend the right to live or not ,,.I have seen a even sadder siteThe people on tonights news in a covid ward. I do agreee Jon a vaxine and people who follow the rules then we might h come thro this and go cruising...pass ports at the ready!
                      Last edited by buzzbaby; 11-11-2020, 20:15.

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post

But, as I understand it, havng had the two injections against Covid is no guarantee that you will be covid-free say 9 months down the line (If 'flu jabs are anything to go by, anyway.)
                        I do not see a problem, both cats and dogs have to have a 2 part initial jab and then a booster shot every year. I would prefer enjoying freedom of movement as a result of having a couple of jabs and an annual booster, (or even bi-annual jabs), than having to endure repeated "Lockdowns".

As SARS-2 and Covid-19 are viruses, I would expect it to mutate over time. I expect as a result, (as with the Flu vaccine), no doubt the vaccine will have to be modified to combat these changes. A simple couple of jabs or risk being in Intensive Care breathing on a ventilator - that will be the choice. For me there is no question, when I was at sea, every time we signed on a ship the doc ignored the vaccination card and would vaccinate us against everything he could. Small Pox, Typhoid, Yellow Fever. are the ones I recall, maybe @kieran has a better recall.

Jon

Comment

As I understand it there will be an announcement that to Get the covid vax you must have had the flu vax some time before .

Comment

I was mostly on passenger ships I think most of the time you had your jab and forgot it the only one I remember was the flu jab we had coming back from new york ... It gave me the flu
                            cruising is not the same now as back in the 60's and early 70's if we had 300 passengers on a cruise it was crowded.

Kyran

Comment

Originally posted by kernowjon View Post

I do not see a problem, both cats and dogs have to have a 2 part initial jab and then a booster shot every year. I would prefer enjoying freedom of movement as a result of having a couple of jabs and an annual booster, (or even bi-annual jabs), than having to endure repeated "Lockdowns".

As SARS-2 and Covid-19 are viruses, I would expect it to mutate over time. I expect as a result, (as with the Flu vaccine), no doubt the vaccine will have to be modified to combat these changes. A simple couple of jabs or risk being in Intensive Care breathing on a ventilator - that will be the choice. For me there is no question, when I was at sea, every time we signed on a ship the doc ignored the vaccination card and would vaccinate us against everything he could. Small Pox, Typhoid, Yellow Fever. are the ones I recall, maybe @kieran has a better recall
                              I was not arguing against having the Covid jabs as and when they are offered! I am all for them and the protection we hope they will offer, and have every intention of accepting the opportunity of having the jabs. Yes, booster injections are likely to be the way forward.

I appreciate the protection vaccinations offer and, like most of you, have the 'flu jab regularly, and check if any other injections need topping up if going abroad somewhere.

I merely meant that a certificate proving one has had the jabs would need to be supported, perhaps, by continued vigilance, acceptance that tests might still need to be taken, temperature checks when boarding a vessel would be wise, etc.

And a big YES to doing everything we can to make future lockdowns unnecessary. People in general, and our economy too, have suffered too much this year.

Maybe 2021 bring us all health and the ability to climb out of the abyss into which our country is sinking. (Sorry if that is counted as a political comment!)
                              Last edited by NomadSue; 11-11-2020, 23:29.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X