• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise ships

i have just seen this sad video on the BBC website

i never like seeing good ships dying
    jon
    The cruise industry was hit hard by the pandemic, and no-sail orders put in place by some countries.
    Support the NHS go to Just Giving

Yes. It is sad to see. I have happy memories of three cruises: one short one to Norway, special offer with the Daily Express, a couple of days on the Nile, and a longer one in the Caribbean, to see my son getting married.

I dream of going on a Northern Lights cruise along the coast of Norway, but wonder now if this will ever be possible. 🤔
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by NomadSue View Post
      Yes. It is sad to see. I have happy memories of three cruises: one short one to Norway, special offer with the Daily Express, a couple of days on the Nile, and a longer one in the Caribbean, to see my son getting married.

I dream of going on a Northern Lights cruise along the coast of Norway, but wonder now if this will ever be possible. 🤔
      I am sure it will be possible one day. I think depends on 2 things. A. The development of an effective vaccine, probably one result of Covid will be a greater demand for the International Vaccination Certificate. Back in the 60s on merchant ships every time one signed on a new ship it was a multitude of vaccinations, smallpox, yellow fever, typhus etc
      Maybe Covid Vaccination will be a condition for crew and passengers

The second issue is the ventilation of ships, not just cruise liners. Most of the worlds aircraft carriers have been badly affected by Covid. Due in part to how the air circulates between compartments. So I think there must be some redesigning going on.

Keep dreaming
      Jon

Comment

These 3 have been "parked2 in Glasgow for months now:

Cruise Ships1.jpg

Comment

What about the ferries running between all our islands off the coasts of the UK? How are the people who live on those islands coping?

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            What about the ferries running between all our islands off the coasts of the UK? How are the people who live on those islands coping?
            Jayjay the ferries are relatively fine - the problem is in big ships where there are internal compartments (cabins) with no fresh air ventilation - air circulation is through a forced air system, so someone coughs in one compartment and the aerosol bugs / virus(s) (virii ?) is carried in the forced air to other compartments ad of course breathed by the occupants.

Historically trans ocean ships have been carriers of epidemics - hence the YELLOW JACK a plain yellow flag ships flew when entering port until cleared - Q flag - Quarantine.

Jon

Comment

I wondered about that, Jon. Thanks for clarifying.

Comment

Surprised to see those ships in dock Gregor . The ones off the coast down here are sat in the channel to a avoid port fees. Pity the poor crews.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X