Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to put in the 'Luton'

Hi Ant
    Not so much a technical problem, but I wonder if you can advise?

We have a 1980s Romahome mounted on a Suzuki pickup. Because of its height it's a bit wobbly in the wind!
    We all know that space is limited in the Romahomes and my question is about what we can safely carry in the Luton bit of the van without it affecting the stability.
    One view is that nothing should be carried up there while travelling, all the weight should be as low down as possible. I feel that we could carry stuff like clothes, which would leave some space in the boxes under the seats.
    We did have a problem on one occasion, when we did have clothes bags up there, and one of the bags shot off the Luton and completely traumatised one of the dogs! She is really reluctant to get in the back of the van now. So, if we could travel with stuff in the Luton, we would have to devise some sort of barrier.
    Thanks for any advice you can offer
    Angela

I'm no Ant but we use these to stop stuff sliding around in the back of our van, maybe that would help?(there is a smaller one too) Otherwise, maybe a cargo net? Or, if you don't have things that are too heavy up there, these might do the trick, or cheaper still, maybe a spring tension net curtain rod??
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

I had a little trim in mine which when unscrewed and turned up the other way formed a good little barrier. I did the same with the trims over the windows and they made two good, if not very deep shelves.

Into my luton I put three plastic boxes (after I had fixed the shelf upside down so they wouldn't slide off). Into one went my sleeping bag and sleeping things; into another went washing things and towels, into the third went everything else I couldn't find a space for (as long as it was lightweight).

hope this helps!

ETA mine was also wobbly in the wind! I found that when it was fully packed it was much less wobbly though. I put tools & stuff + EHU lead in the end locker on one side which balanced the plates.cups, pans, tins, etc (in another shallower plastic box) on the other side. In the middle lockers I had foldable chairs one side and movelite awning on the one side, the other side held the leisure battery. At the top (nearest the cab) went anything else I needed.
      Last edited by jayjay; 02-07-2010, 17:47.

Comment

Thanks for that.
        Glen, I like the cargo bar -- looks like a great idea, and the other bars as well.
        JayJay -- thanks for the advice, sounds like you were very well packed up!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
          Thanks for that.

JayJay -- thanks for the advice, sounds like you were very well packed up!
          Trail and error led me to these methods! LOL!

I also had an expanding sprung shower rail at the top of the luton near the roof, and hung a variety of things from it... like pockets and stuff... like this - which held important things like the tv remote, tin opener, etc...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocket-Door-Hanging-ORGANISER-Storage/dp/B001CTAN1Y

Comment

Thanks JayJay, sounds like a good idea, again!

Now, any good ideas to cure a traumatised dog?

Comment

Thanks JayJay, sounds like a good idea, again!

Now, any good ideas to cure a traumatised dog?
              My dog (sadly deceased now) absolutely hated the swaying movement in the camper. I stopped frequently to give her a rest from it for 5-10 mins. She gradually got better with it all, but she was never very happy in there. What I would do is ignore any reluctant/shaking behaviour totally. Insist the dogs go in, settle them down and as soon as the trauma wears off and he/she knows it won't happen again, he/she should be ok. Start with small journeys out to somewhere nice, just to take the dogs for a walk - that way they will begin to associate the camper = nice thing/treat/pleasure at the end of the journey. I used to take mine to the local park for a walk around the lake.

Comment

Have thought that a simple cargo net should be fitted to overhead lutons. They would be light weight and not effect the payload

Comment

Thanks Sue, did think of that, but couldn't work out how to attach it
                  Also, the worry is that having any weight high up will affect the stability when driving

JayJay, thanks for the advice, I am trying to do what you say, particularly about making a fuss!
                  I do feel sorry for her, she is up for anything, usually, but it was the bag falling out of the luton that frightened her. Pity I can't sit her down and tell her it'll be ok now (although she does usually understand every word I say, of course )

Angela

Comment

Sorry Dolly thinking theorectically.... I would imagine you would have to have it fitted in some way by somebody like the good Ant.

Comment

Also, the worry is that having any weight high up will affect the stability when driving

JayJay, thanks for the advice, I am trying to do what you say, particularly about making a fuss!
                      I do feel sorry for her, she is up for anything, usually, but it was the bag falling out of the luton that frightened her. Pity I can't sit her down and tell her it'll be ok now (although she does usually understand every word I say, of course )

Angela
                      Nothing really will affect the stability - there just isn't any! LOL you get used to it after a while. Just stick all light things up there, sleeping bags, pillows, clothes, towels, etc.

Once the dog realises that it's not going to happen again (by taking them out to somewhere nice just for the day for eg., they will settle down. Best thing is to ignore the stress signs totally. Look on them as a child, 'come along now, get in and dont be silly' sort of attitude.

My dog stopped a lot of that behaviour once the windows were out 'twixt cab and roma and she could hear me speaking to here from there - usually telling her to lie down!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X