Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R20Hi jubilee - water getting in

Hi Ant,

I hope you can help. I have water/damp marks appearing on the padded pelmet that fronts the overhead storage area in my R20Hi. It only started happening after the storms/windy weather over Christmas/new year. There is a damp mark towards the left of centre of the pelmet and the main marking/wet is on the passenger side and at front of the passenger side overhead storage shelf. The luton storage area is dry and I can find no signs of water/damp on the ceiling/roof linings that might have dripped onto the pelmet. I have always parked my Romahome on my drive forward facing. My drive has an incline and slopes to the passenger side. I have tried to attach a photo. I have duck taped/plastic covered tv inlet point, the front seal between cab and fibreglass, the left hand window seals and the roof light in case these are where water is getting in. The damp patches have so far dried out with a hair dryer but come back again after a few hours regardless of whether subsequent rainfall. I am totally stumped. Have you come across this problem before?

Hope you had a good break.
    Attached Files

The water marks seem to coincide exactly with the edge of the roof lining and I would guess that the water is coming in behind the lining and running forward. The drip in the middle is the giveaway. That makes me suspect the Heki. I understand that you can't see evidence of water dripping form the roof lining so try tucking a sheet of kitchen roll along the edge of the roof lining near the middle and see if it gets wet.
    The kitchen roof light is designed to allow air ventilation even when fully shut and possibly water could be blown up through this but it would be quite a long shot for water to run all the way from there to the front. I don't think the larger Heki light does the same thing but there's a possibility that a leaf might be trapped in the seal.
    Don't know where your TV inlet point is but does that go through the roof? I know you have taped it up but the roof section should be double skinned with insulation between and if that is wet, it could drip some time after you have stopped the leak.

I think the cab seal and window are too low to be the cause.

Just realised Ant is back from his break so he will probably see your Q tomorrow.
    Last edited by Motorova; 07-01-2014, 11:47.

Comment

Originally posted by cturner View Post
      Hi Ant,

I hope you can help. I have water/damp marks appearing on the padded pelmet that fronts the overhead storage area in my R20Hi. It only started happening after the storms/windy weather over Christmas/new year. There is a damp mark towards the left of centre of the pelmet and the main marking/wet is on the passenger side and at front of the passenger side overhead storage shelf. The luton storage area is dry and I can find no signs of water/damp on the ceiling/roof linings that might have dripped onto the pelmet. I have always parked my Romahome on my drive forward facing. My drive has an incline and slopes to the passenger side. I have tried to attach a photo. I have duck taped/plastic covered tv inlet point, the front seal between cab and fibreglass, the left hand window seals and the roof light in case these are where water is getting in. The damp patches have so far dried out with a hair dryer but come back again after a few hours regardless of whether subsequent rainfall. I am totally stumped. Have you come across this problem before?

Hope you had a good break.
      I think the suggestion from Motorova is probably correct. Water rarely travels up hill unless by capillary action, so the main culprit would be the Heki roof light. Have you got the Heki 3 ( large vent) or the standard Jubilee Heki? The roof is made up of a trimmed sheet of GRP so the water will run to the edges before revealing itself. The fact that it comes back after you dry it out is no surprise as the foam will hold a fair bit of water. Eventually it will dry out but don't be tempted to do it too quickly as you risk getting a water tide mark on the trim material.
      Inspect the seal round the roof vent on the top of the van, make a temp seal with Vaseline to any suspect areas of the seal and see if the problem is solved at the next heavy down pour. If it is get the vent removed and seal properly.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
        I think the suggestion from Motorova is probably correct. Water rarely travels up hill unless by capillary action, so the main culprit would be the Heki roof light. Have you got the Heki 3 ( large vent) or the standard Jubilee Heki? The roof is made up of a trimmed sheet of GRP so the water will run to the edges before revealing itself. The fact that it comes back after you dry it out is no surprise as the foam will hold a fair bit of water. Eventually it will dry out but don't be tempted to do it too quickly as you risk getting a water tide mark on the trim material.
        Inspect the seal round the roof vent on the top of the van, make a temp seal with Vaseline to any suspect areas of the seal and see if the problem is solved at the next heavy down pour. If it is get the vent removed and seal properly.
        Thanks
        Ant
        Thanks to Motorova for the suggestions. The paper towel was bone dry but the padded pelmets were wet again this morning - it is like they are a sponge drawing up from wherever the water is! The TV inlet point is for an exterior site aerial cable to plug into and was fitted at IoW. It is located above the driver's door on the side. On the inside of the overhead storage area it is lined with plastic and at bottom there is carpet stuck to floor of storage area. All this appears bone dry. I cannot see how you can access between the liners.

Ant, thanks for your prompt response. The label on my roof light says it is a Heki Midi and the window area is about 700 x 400. I cleaned and checked the exterior seal of the Heki before covering it with plastic sheet/duck tape on Sunday morning and we have had heavy rainfall/winds here since. The seal appeared OK apart from some excess protruding on the passenger side front edge. I have left the plastic/duck tape cover over the roof light as it appears to be retaining water tight seal around it at moment so assume this would do the same as the Vaseline test you suggest. Do you think the water/damp reappearing in the padding is it sucking up the remains of the original leak? What I do not understand is that my Romahome has always been parked forward facing on an upward incline (sloping to passenger side) on my driveway so any water leak from the Heki would have to travel uphill for it to appear on the padded pelmet. Is there anyway in your experience water could be sitting on the driver cab roof under the GRP and then breaching the habitation area through seals/pelmet fixtures and result in the damp water marks which as far as I can tell with the paper towel tests is not through dripping from roof lining? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by cturner View Post
          Thanks to Motorova for the suggestions. The paper towel was bone dry but the padded pelmets were wet again this morning - it is like they are a sponge drawing up from wherever the water is! The TV inlet point is for an exterior site aerial cable to plug into and was fitted at IoW. It is located above the driver's door on the side. On the inside of the overhead storage area it is lined with plastic and at bottom there is carpet stuck to floor of storage area. All this appears bone dry. I cannot see how you can access between the liners.

Ant, thanks for your prompt response. The label on my roof light says it is a Heki Midi and the window area is about 700 x 400. I cleaned and checked the exterior seal of the Heki before covering it with plastic sheet/duck tape on Sunday morning and we have had heavy rainfall/winds here since. The seal appeared OK apart from some excess protruding on the passenger side front edge. I have left the plastic/duck tape cover over the roof light as it appears to be retaining water tight seal around it at moment so assume this would do the same as the Vaseline test you suggest. Do you think the water/damp reappearing in the padding is it sucking up the remains of the original leak? What I do not understand is that my Romahome has always been parked forward facing on an upward incline (sloping to passenger side) on my driveway so any water leak from the Heki would have to travel uphill for it to appear on the padded pelmet. Is there anyway in your experience water could be sitting on the driver cab roof under the GRP and then breaching the habitation area through seals/pelmet fixtures and result in the damp water marks which as far as I can tell with the paper towel tests is not through dripping from roof lining? Thanks
          I've just looked at an R20Hi I've got in stock and it's possible the wet marks have been caused by water getting past the front seal where cab roof meets luton body. It would take a fair lot of water to get that far in to cause the wet but is certainly possible. The most likely place where the seal may have failed is where the tin roof has two indents one on each side, these would continue over the roof of an ordinary van and would channel water to the area in your van that is most wet. It's not a common failing but I have had a much older Duo leak there before and water came into the cab via the old aerial hole in the roof. If you prod the line of sealant in these indents you'll soon know if the seal is sound ( Algae often grows behind the seal if its been getting wet for a while).
          Ant

Comment

I've just looked at an R20Hi I've got in stock and it's possible the wet marks have been caused by water getting past the front seal where cab roof meets luton body. It would take a fair lot of water to get that far in to cause the wet but is certainly possible. The most likely place where the seal may have failed is where the tin roof has two indents one on each side, these would continue over the roof of an ordinary van and would channel water to the area in your van that is most wet. It's not a common failing but I have had a much older Duo leak there before and water came into the cab via the old aerial hole in the roof. If you prod the line of sealant in these indents you'll soon know if the seal is sound ( Algae often grows behind the seal if its been getting wet for a while).
            Ant
            Ant, I have had a close look at the external seal between the Luton and original cab roof as suggested. It all looks sound apart from a black slit/gap in the seal continuity just above the middle of the driver's door. It is not very big but I assume with the driving rain and strong winds this may be a possible breach spot. I have put the duck tape back over the whole front seal just in case. If water has got in here it would presumably run over the cab roof to the passenger's side as I park my motorhome on an inclined driveway facing forward and it slopes to the passenger's side. Would this possibly explain the small damp patch in the central area and the wettest part in the passenger side corner? If this turns out to be the entry point, what action(s) would you suggest to remedy the external seal breach and to dry out any trapped water still above the cab roof/internal padded pelmets and any action needed to reseal any internal seals/fixture points to prevent a recurrence? Thanks for your help and wealth of experience.

Comment

When the seal around the front join of the luton to cab fails in a short area I tend to remove the whole seal and redo all of it. Any water already between the roof and body will soon either dry up or escape when you use the van. It is very unusual to have enough water get in to cause any evidence of a leak so I doubt you've got a sloshing lake up there. Use a sanitary sealant they tend to have fungicide in them which stops the seal from hosting algae which eventually breaches the seal.
              Ant

Comment

When the seal around the front join of the luton to cab fails in a short area I tend to remove the whole seal and redo all of it. Any water already between the roof and body will soon either dry up or escape when you use the van. It is very unusual to have enough water get in to cause any evidence of a leak so I doubt you've got a sloshing lake up there. Use a sanitary sealant they tend to have fungicide in them which stops the seal from hosting algae which eventually breaches the seal.
                Ant
                Ant, will give that a go when weather improves and hope this is the cause. Thanks for all your advice and will let you know outcome for future reference.

Comment