Wheel /Tyre Sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel /Tyre Sizes?

Hello. I have a Bedford Rascal Romahome Demountable, with standard 12" wheels, and Daisy Stickers, only bought it yesterday!! Have you any advises re changing to wider tyres and or wheels to improve the handling? Would be very grateful for any info. Regards "Daisie"

Originally posted by Daisie View Post
    Hello. I have a Bedford Rascal Romahome Demountable, with standard 12" wheels, and Daisy Stickers, only bought it yesterday!! Have you any advises re changing to wider tyres and or wheels to improve the handling? Would be very grateful for any info. Regards "Daisie"
    Hi Daisy! I also used to own a BR Roma D called Daisy! I wonder if it's the same one? Mine had a reg. with D...MAF!

Ant will be along later to advise.

I'm not sure you can change the tyres for wider ones, but they should all be the same and be proper reinforced van tyres, not car tyres. I ordered mine from the local tyre place. It made all the difference when I changed mine to proper ones - I could actually feel the road! I also lowered the tyre pressure by a few Psi when empty, they seem to be very unstable when unladen, and better when fully loaded. However, they always seem s bit wobbly, but you do get used to the way they handle after a bit of practice.

Comment

I had one too. I remember buying it and 5 mins later I was on the M5, I shant forget that.

Only through my seamanship did I manage to sail it back to Devon.

Comment

Hi Daisie.
        I have seen a Rascal on alloy wheels with low profile tyres, the steering is so heavy I doubt you'll find it an improvement. I think good commercial tyres at a suitable pressure to suit your driving would be the best advice I can give.
        Ant

Comment

Hi Daisie

I've got a demountable on a Suzuki pickup and JayJay is right, it is wobbly but you do get used to it

Just watch for side winds, lorries passing, coaches passing, going round corners ... etc etc

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
            Hi Daisy! I also used to own a BR Roma D called Daisy! I wonder if it's the same one? Mine had a reg. with D...MAF!

Ant will be along later to advise.

I'm not sure you can change the tyres for wider ones, but they should all be the same and be proper reinforced van tyres, not car tyres. I ordered mine from the local tyre place. It made all the difference when I changed mine to proper ones - I could actually feel the road! I also lowered the tyre pressure by a few Psi when empty, they seem to be very unstable when unladen, and better when fully loaded. However, they always seem s bit wobbly, but you do get used to the way they handle after a bit of practice.
            Hi jayjay, thanks for info. No not the same Roma you had. I will certainly sort out tyres. Hoping to get out there to polish it today but we will see. Only done about 30 miles in it but I felt so easy with it can't wait for our first trip.

Comment

Originally posted by ecobezhig View Post
              I had one too. I remember buying it and 5 mins later I was on the M5, I shant forget that.

Only through my seamanship did I manage to sail it back to Devon.
              I avoided motorways with mine! Too many lorries and too much wind! I bought a TomTom sat nav and set it to avoid motorways! Went everywhere on A and B roads after that. Very pleasant, but very slow. Going up to the Outer Hebredes was quite a journey... but lovely to see the countryside, which I'd never seen before having always used the M6 to go north! Shap village is stunning on the A6, along with a lot of other little villages I'd only ever seen the signs for.

So they do have their compensations, you just need to get your head around not going anywhere in a hurry! Enjoy the scenery and stop when you feel like it!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X