romahome brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

romahome brakes

C15 D Romahome ....brakes seem very soft.Have checked them and they seem right.Is this a problem with the model or can they be fitted/converted with discs?

Hello

My apologies for lack of input-had a few months of A&e problems -hopefully coming to an end.Do enjoy visiting site and hope to be more forthcoming in the future...\rgds to site admin's

Comment

Hi Viv! I hope all is ok now and all on the mend.

The brakes on C15's always seem to be soft, from what I've heard/read on here. In fact I can still quote Graham on another post saying they were 'an optional extra'! They must be within the bounds of normal brakes, or they wouldn't pass an MOT with them. It seems to be something you just have to get used to, from what I recall.

Those with C15's will be along to let you know all about them soon, and maybe Ant can give you some sort of solution!

Comment

C15s are discs at the front and drums at the back just like the Berlingo but the self adjusters on the back can be tempremental particularly if you have a drum that has gone out of round. When we had a C15 our brake pedal was never soft but everything had to be tip top to get anywhere near decent brakes. A soft pedal usually indicates air in the system or water. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and as such should be changed every couple of years - i used to think that this was a myth until I ran out of brakes on a steep hill. The explanation was that the water absorbed by the fluid had boiled and the steam produced was compressed leading to a soft pedal and no brakes.

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum make sure that the compensating valve on the rear axle is working and adjusted correctly so that the rear brakes can actually do their job.

A good mechanic can get somewhere near decent brakes with some patience.

The C15 system was designed in the days when asbestos was used in pads and linings and the new materials have very different characteristics. Fit the best you can afford

Good luck

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X