Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 240V socket in Outlook

Hi Ant,

I use my Multi CTEK XS3600 Switch Mode Charger on a regular basis to keep the Vehicle Battery in my Outlook in good condition.

I have had the Accessory Socket in the cab set up to bypass the ignition switch so that I can leave the Charger on Overnight with the vehicle securely locked and alarmed. 240V power comes via a Club-Type Hook-up arrangement installed in my vehicle space.
    Due to only one 240V socket in the my Outlook however, it is a not very convenient or tidy arrangement for the Charger cable.

I would like to put the new 240V socket nearer to the cab - located similarly to the existing rear socket, recessed in the seat locker, can you advise please as to where is the best and most convenient place to tap in to the 240V supply within the van ?

Can I connect up to and run a new circuit from the 240V Zig X7 Isolating Switch Box.
    Can I connect up to and run a new circuit from the existing 240V socket et the rear ( much longer run of Cable ).

Or what do you suggest .......

Many thanks

Brian Simms

Hi Brian.
    Better to take it from the 240v socket, the zig charger is is fed from the 6amp trip on the RCD unlike the socket that comes from the 10amp.
    Ant

Comment

HI Brian, a question re the charger:

I was thinking of buying a dedicated charger for my caravan, and the XS3600 was the one I was thinking of buying. It sounds like just the thing, but would be good to know from someone who has one that it is indeed a good one. There are so many on the market it's baffling! Do they get hot when switched on? My standard battery charger does, and I don't like it.

Re the plug socket, can't you just make it into a twin socket? Or have I read the question wrongly and you need a socket in a different place?

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
        Hi Brian.
        Better to take it from the 240v socket, the zig charger is is fed from the 6amp trip on the RCD unlike the socket that comes from the 10amp.
        Ant
        Hi Ant , many thanks for your advice now I can get on and do the job.

Regards Brian

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
          HI Brian, a question re the charger:

I was thinking of buying a dedicated charger for my caravan, and the XS3600 was the one I was thinking of buying. It sounds like just the thing, but would be good to know from someone who has one that it is indeed a good one. There are so many on the market it's baffling! Do they get hot when switched on? My standard battery charger does, and I don't like it.

Re the plug socket, can't you just make it into a twin socket? Or have I read the question wrongly and you need a socket in a different place?
          Hi Jayjay, thanks for your message.
          I use the xs3600 - rated high enough for my needs - for keeping my vehicle battery in good topped up condition.
          Not using the vehicle much when not camping, and all the electronics working in the background, alarm etc. it soon loses charge otherwise.
          It does get warm, but they all do and it is nothing to worry about.
          I have used it for 9-10 months with no problems and perfect peace of mind.

My question to Ant was because I don't like using trailing cables and want a permanent socket up front for this charger.

If your old charger needs changing go for the Cetek, It does just "what it says on the box"

Regards Brian

Comment

I thought it best to leave the mains unit and the zig well alone when fitting extra sockets. I therefore ran a spur from the existing socket at the rear end of the nearside bench seat. The cable runs to the front end of the locker, up through the water hose hole to where the curtain is stored, up through the rear corner of the wooden base of the luton, and to a double socket half way along the luton floor behind the padded board across the rear edge of the luton. Cable then continues to the offside rear corner, down through the curtain store, and into a single socket half way down the wooden panel. On it then goes into the offside locker and to the rear, opposite the original socket. I opened up a round ventilation hole. These last 2 sockets are fitted with a pattress behind the surface like the original. Cable ties to existing wiring in the nearside locker, cable clips in the luton floor, and extra blind rivetted P-clips in the offside locker keep the cable tidy and out of sight.

I now have sockets for cooking, tv/dvd, heater, and kettle, with no cable trailing in the centre aisle.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X