Cam Belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Belt?

Hello Ant. I see from the forum that you have an awful lot of knowledge re Romahomes etc. I wonder if you also know what is the recommended mileage for a cambelt change. I have the original Service Manual but can't find any reference to recommended change. I have a 1987 Bedford Rascal 970cc, with a Demountable Romahome, not that the back end makes any difference to cam belt. I have taken onboard the advise re tyres and are about to have fitted 4 Nankang 155/80R 8ply Commercial Tyres. We have found very few 12" to choose from. Thanks for all the advise on the forum, its interesting reading and very helpful. Cheers Daisie.

Hi Daisie.
    Vauxhall( Bedford) don't give a Timing belt change mileage or time, however the engine is a Suzuki engine and they give a 60000 mile interval or 6 years on the Suzuki super carry with the same engine. I would go 50000mls or 5 years which ever comes first. The belt is quite short and doesn't have to do very much work ( no power steering or air con to run) and I've never known one break but better safe than sorry.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Ant,
      I have no experience of most of the vehicles used as a motorhome base, but as a retired motor engineer I would be even more cautious than you.
      I would never retain a timing belt for more than 75% of the manufacturer's rcommendations for time/mileage. I have seen so many fail "early", usually with disastrous and expensive results.
      I see it as insurance.
      On one make of car included in a fleet I controlled, the belts almost never lasted as long as they were supposed to. Fortunately that engine type never suffered damage, but even changing them early did not prevent premature failure and a lot of inconvenience.
      Jim.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Hi Jim.
        I'm with you on the 75% for a cam belt, especially the ones that run PAS, water pump, air con as well as the cam shaft. The Rascal belt goes from the crank to the cam shaft as a simple loop and tends to put up with it for longer periods. Better safe than sorry non the less.
        Ant

Comment

Thanks for the advice both Ant and Twolitre. I have just had our Berlingo serviced at a main Citroen agent. The mileage is 46k and the age 7 years so the timing belt was not scheduled for a change. I believe it is recommended after 10 years or 70k for the 1.9 engine.

I asked for them to change the belt, with the covers off they found the water pump needed changing. I think the 75% figure is a good one to work to, better to have the work done at a scheduled service than after a breakdown.
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

I am not comfortable with rubber belts driving important bits of engine that can collide if in the wrong position. Our Berlingo car is 10 years old and has done 140000 miles, i changed the cambelt at 50000 and 100000, I will change it again at 150000. Our 4 year old Romahome has done 44000 and I will change it this summer. They both have the 1.9 DW8 engine and are relatively straightforward to work on.

Peter

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X