C15 Citroen - Bushes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

C15 Citroen - Bushes

Hi Ant, was wondering if you could advise on my problematic little camper. We have had a few problems with rear suspension - firstly with rear shocks and assistor springs - which we have finally got fixed by a brill Mechanic in Prestatyn who made his own tool to re-fit my springs - however he has told me that the bushes are going - I suspected as much as my wheels were looking a bit like this / \ . I have had a look on the forum and there is some really useful stuff - however, I am struggling with my understanding of some of the technical stuff. It appears I have two options, which are either to source a new rear axle or to have the one I have stripped and a new bushes kit fixed (please forgive me if my technical talk is a little off) from what I can make out the cost is going to be about the same - what is your advice Ant so I can instruct my mechanic accordingly?

Hi K80.
    If your current axle is in fairly good condition I would go for replacement bushes. Romahome used to put spacers on the shock absorber body under the spring, this would harden the suspension. If you replaced the whole axle unit you may lose these in the process. Also the replacement axle needs to be a 765 Kg axle rather than the 600Kg and it's very difficult to prove which one it is off the vehicle. If the current axle is in poor condition or the bush housings are worn then a replacement axle is the course I'd take. If you do go for an axle ( it can be easier to just swap axles) make sure the Romahome spacers get transferred and if possible see some proof that the axle is the heavier duty one ( 765Kg), the doner vehicle chassis no should contain "PP" for a 765 or "PB" for the 600.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
      Hi K80.
      If your current axle is in fairly good condition I would go for replacement bushes. Romahome used to put spacers on the shock absorber body under the spring, this would harden the suspension. If you replaced the whole axle unit you may lose these in the process. Also the replacement axle needs to be a 765 Kg axle rather than the 600Kg and it's very difficult to prove which one it is off the vehicle. If the current axle is in poor condition or the bush housings are worn then a replacement axle is the course I'd take. If you do go for an axle ( it can be easier to just swap axles) make sure the Romahome spacers get transferred and if possible see some proof that the axle is the heavier duty one ( 765Kg), the doner vehicle chassis no should contain "PP" for a 765 or "PB" for the 600.
      Thanks
      Ant
      Thanks Ant what do you think about reconditioned axles? Been quoted £350 for axle
      plus Labour does this sound reasonable?
      Katie

Comment

Hi Katie.
        That sounds about the going rate, any axle replacement would probably be a reconditioned unit, Roy Mountjoy in deepest Devon charges that sort of money. You can spend that sort of money and more having the bushes replaced. If you're happy the axle is a suitable spec' for your van go for it.
        Thanks
        Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant - they will recondition my Axle, they arrange to collect and then it takes about a week and then they return it. It is www.imaxle.co.uk, has anyone used them? If so what experiences have you had?

Hopefully we will be back on the road and all good again soon enough :-)

Comment

If it was me I would source an axle on eBay from a c15 breaking then fit it myself and make my own spring aassisters.
            Somewhere Iput onto this site the complete a to z of how iIdid mine for about seventy pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by RRH View Post
              If it was me I would source an axle on eBay from a c15 breaking then fit it myself and make my own spring aassisters.
              Somewhere Iput onto this site the complete a to z of how iIdid mine for about seventy pounds.
              I did see that but I just don't have the technical know how or tools to do this - am at the mercy of the professionals :-)

Comment