Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leisure battery

Hi All,

I need some help please - I think from Ant. It seems that my leisure battery has decided to overheat (whether charging from EHU or on the road). Before I head off to the nearest dealer to get a new battery fitted, I'd like to know if this is just a case of the replacing the battery, or is there another problem with the internal electrics (I have a 1995 C15 high top).

Thanks,

DJSooz.

PS Sorry I haven't posted for a wee while, but my partner and I split up a few months ago so life's been a bit unusual to say the least. However Rhonda and I are still on the road!

Hi Djsooz.
    The battery is probably your only problem, I've seen loads this year that are doing the same overheating thing. The cause is normally the internal cells of the battery break down and short out, the most likely reason for the cause is letting the battery go flat in the winter and a few days of sub zero temps will freeze the electrolyte in the battery and the plates in the cells deform. A fully charged battery does not freeze.
    Ant

Comment

A good answer by Ant!
      I avoid that type of problem by using a small solar panel (bought quite cheaply from Maplins) which trickle charges the battery. The charge voltage is so low that when the battery is fully charged and attains a "surface charge voltage" charging virtually ceases. It is plugged in at all times the van is not in use.
      It has the advantages that I know my battery will be fully charged at all times and also keeps the battery slightly above ambient temperature.
      Jim.
      Last edited by Twolitre; 17-08-2010, 12:39.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

leisure battery

Thanks Ant and Twolitre,

I'll get a new battery fitted on Friday I hope. I'm usually pretty careful about taking the van on some longer runs in the winter when I'm not camping, just to keep both batteries charged. It may be ofcourse that it ran down without me noticing and we did have a very harsh winter up here in Scotland with temperatures below freezing lots of the time.

Here's to a milder winter!

Thanks Again,

DJSooz.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
        Working...
        X