Spare Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare Wheel

Hi is it possible to have the spare wheel of the Hylo removed from the back of the drivers seat and fixed under the van. Megan

Hi Megan.
    The cradle for the spare wheel is now being used for the waste water tank. If the tank was removed and the wheel put in its place it would be very difficult to get the wheel out as the lowering device is covered buy the romahome floor. With some sculduggery it may be possible but not Ideal.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Megan

Why do you want to move your spare wheel?

When we had a C15 based Romahome (with the spare wheel under the floor) we once had a puncture on the motorway (M6 very near the Thelwall viaduct). I couldnt get the wheel out from underneath without jacking up the Romahome. On the jack it seemed very unstable with all the vehicles going past on the motorway. Once the wheel was changed it was the very devil to get the spare back on to the cradle.

Our Outlook has the sparewheel behind the drivers seat. It seemed awkward to get at at first but I made it so that the seat moved a little bit further forward and hava altered the adjustment of the backrest so that it goes forward up to the steering wheel. It is a doddle to get in and out now and I can also get at the small space behind the wheel where I can keep a small hydraulic jack to use as a backup for the jack that Citroen provide.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
        Hi Megan

Why do you want to move your spare wheel?

When we had a C15 based Romahome (with the spare wheel under the floor) we once had a puncture on the motorway (M6 very near the Thelwall viaduct). I couldnt get the wheel out from underneath without jacking up the Romahome. On the jack it seemed very unstable with all the vehicles going past on the motorway. Once the wheel was changed it was the very devil to get the spare back on to the cradle.

Our Outlook has the sparewheel behind the drivers seat. It seemed awkward to get at at first but I made it so that the seat moved a little bit further forward and hava altered the adjustment of the backrest so that it goes forward up to the steering wheel. It is a doddle to get in and out now and I can also get at the small space behind the wheel where I can keep a small hydraulic jack to use as a backup for the jack that Citroen provide.

Peter
        I wanted to move the spare wheel so I would have the extra room behind the seat, but I think I have changed my mind now. Thanks for your help

Comment

Spare Wheel.

Well we dont have one, so i have more space. 1. we dont get punchers and if we did i have a blow up seal a 1/2inch hole in the tyre bottle very small and brill i have only used it once, and that was somebody els. It worked very well.
          Originally posted by Megan View Post
          Hi is it possible to have the spare wheel of the Hylo removed from the back of the drivers seat and fixed under the van. Megan
          Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

We dont need a spare tyre.

Hi we dont need a spare tyre.
            Originally posted by roger green View Post
            Well we dont have one, so i have more space. 1. we dont get punchers, and if we did i have a bottle that seals and blows up the tyre plus sealing a 1/2inch hole in the tyre and brill i have only used it once, and that was on somebody els. It worked very well.
            Roger Green.Roger Green.

Comment

This is a very old discussion thread - but relevant to my experiences today.

When I looked at my Outlook Duo today the rear nearside tyre was flat. ****! I have a compressor in my garage so pumped up the tyre --- but could hear the hissing as air escaped. The culprit was ruined rubber on the tyre valve. No sign of any problem on the tyre itself.

So THEN I had my first experience of (a) finding the spare (b) working out how to get it from the cradle under the van. Fairly obvious was that the slotted gizmo in the floor of the Roma has to be turned to lower the hook that retains the spare tyre cradle.

The problem - HOW to turn the slotted thing? First it was likely to be seized so I doused everything in penetrating oil a few times while I cleaned and polished the outside of the Roma for a few hours. Even then the issue was

HOW do you turn the thing? The man in the local Citroen place said to use the "hook" part on the end of the brace used for the jack. Err - easy said but in the Roma the seat moulding is vertically above the turn point which makes turning the slotted thing damned difficult. In the end I used a chisel and a Mole wrench. Slow but it worked. Surely there is a better method/ tool? Something that will fit onto a standard 1/2" drive ratchet but at the working end has a thick blade to fit the slot in the gizmo. If I was still working rather than retired the machine shop would make one easy-peasy

Looking at the dropped cradle with the spare in it - I chickened out. I am 72 and have an arthritic hip. NO WAY was I going to try to remove that spare wheel (and the thought of putting it back makes me shudder).

Result - I tightened up the screw hook and left the spare where it is. In the end it was easier to jack up the Roma, take off the damaged wheel and carry it to the repairer in the other car. It was, as predicted, just a damaged valve - £10 and done for me in 10 mins.

HOWEVER it seems to me that the general message in the older parts of this thread are highly relevant. Under the vehicle is the WRONG place for the spare. Far better it is behind the driver seat - albeit losing some valuable storage space.

MY TEMPTATION would be to look for a "slim line" emergency type wheel/ tyre to put behind the driver seat. Does anyone have an idea about the sort of specification I would need for such a wheel/ tyre?

Snod

Comment

There are tyre calculators online that will give an idea of wheel size and tyre size that will be compatible with your existing wheels/tyres but then there is speed rating, load rating etc to take into consideration too. I think space saver wheels are limited to low speed and limited travel.
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

My recent post on tyres comes as a result of a recent flat - believe me - changing the tyres on a C15 is a major operation - if out on the road can only be done by 2 people and one of them needs to be strong and agile - (that's not me).

I should correct that - getting the spare out and putting bad wheel back in place is a major operation. I would rather not have the wheel in cradle underneath.

I did say at the time - call out the breakdown service - but as my partner rightly pointed out - where we were - we would have been there for many hours waiting and they only send one person out anyway so that person still can't get the cradle back in place without help from the inside of the van.

Comment

Hi Snod.
                    Your Outlook should have had a tool much as you described with a flat end and a bolt head to fit the steadies crank handle included in its kit. However that doesn't make it any easier to remove and replace the actual wheel in the cradle! The C15 had an inspection hole that allowed you to pull the cradle back up but as is often the case, progress took a backward step!
                    Ant

Comment

I wasn't the person under the van - but seems to me that you still need someone under the van supporting the tyre while person inside van winds it up - I think even with the inspection hole it would be very very difficult for one person. Tightening it up a slow process too - as the seat got in the way of making a full turn with the "gizmo" from jack designed to turn it. - all the while my partner lying on his back under the van supporting the wheel Thank goodness we found a nice flat farmyard off the road to do it in. Not something to attempt on the hard shoulder of a motorway.

Comment

Just ask campercoxy - she had a puncture not long ago, scarey! I think she did really well to "inflate" her flat with that foamy aerosol stuff, which was enough to get her home. She said it was a busy road, it was also a Bank hol, a very hot day and she had the dogs in the car too! I think she needed to replace the tyre anyway, so wasn't worried about whether or not it could be repaired with goo in it! Well done to her for coping, not sure I could have

Comment

Originally posted by maddy View Post
                          Just ask campercoxy - she had a puncture not long ago, scarey! I think she did really well to "inflate" her flat with that foamy aerosol stuff, which was enough to get her home. She said it was a busy road, it was also a Bank hol, a very hot day and she had the dogs in the car too! I think she needed to replace the tyre anyway, so wasn't worried about whether or not it could be repaired with goo in it! Well done to her for coping, not sure I could have
                          Well Done Campercoxy!!

I couldn't have done that either. I would just have to call the AA - I wouldn't be able to change a tyre myself, I doubt I could even jack it up or undo the nuts! Always carry a full spare for both car and caravan in case of a blow out - the aerosol stuff won't work on one of those!

Years ago, I saw someone's tyre blow out - it just sort of went puff! He was in the overtaking lane of the motorway in front of me. I slowed down and watched as, with great expertise, he changed lanes right through to the hard shoulder in a few seconds. Scary.

Comment

Reading the posts on this thread arouse thoughts that scare the ***** of of me when I imagine trying to remove a wheel from behind the drivers seat with the door wide wide open on the hard shoulder of a motorway.
                            I think my first consideration would be be to re-site it somewhere. Behind the passenger seat? Away from the traffic?
                            As glen says there may be weight limitations etc. on thin emergency wheels. But I think the main reason they went out of fashion was because removing one from its emegency storage did not leave a space large enough to accomodate the standard wheel replaced. Maybe not a big problem with a motorhome, but a very real problem with a saloon car with a boot crammed full with luggage etc.
                            As long as the tyre is not lacerated the aerosol inflater/sealers are generally good enough to drive for help.
                            Jim.

By the way I did have to change awheel on my car on the M1 a few years ago. A very frightening experience with passing lorries making my car sway on the jack as if it was goung to fall over. I now carry an aerosol.
                            Last edited by Twolitre; 13-06-2014, 16:20.
                            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                              Well Done Campercoxy!!

I couldn't have done that either. I would just have to call the AA - I wouldn't be able to change a tyre myself, I doubt I could even jack it up or undo the nuts! Always carry a full spare for both car and caravan in case of a blow out - the aerosol stuff won't work on one of those!

Years ago, I saw someone's tyre blow out - it just sort of went puff! He was in the overtaking lane of the motorway in front of me. I slowed down and watched as, with great expertise, he changed lanes right through to the hard shoulder in a few seconds. Scary.
                              Im with you Jayjay,Im no longer fit enough to play with wheels and tyres,so I call the AA from a place of safety.
                              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X