Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Demountable stability problem

Hi Ant

Just wondered if you could give some advice. We have a demountable on a Suzuki Carry 1.3 (2004 model).

It really does feel unstable on the motorway ... even a four wheel drive overtaking causes the van to blow to one side, let alone a big truck! I keep the speed down to around 50-55mph, especially if there is even the slightest gusts of wind.

Is there anything we can do to stabilise it a bit. I'm thinking fatter tyres (the ones on it at the moment are 155 R13c), reducing the tyre pressures, putting more weight in the back of the van etc.

Any suggestions please?

Thanks

Angela

Hi Dolly.
    Try reducing the front tyre pressures ( 5psi at a time). The vehicle has a large load at the back which makes the steering a bit more twitchy, and slight movement from another vehicle passing feels worse because you compensate by moving the already twichy steering. softer front tyres will make the steering heavier and give it more "feel" on the road.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Dolly, I had the same problem with my bedford Rascal demountable. They do feel like a bowl of jelly to drive! Mine was a really old D-reg. I took Ant's advice re tyre pressures and reduced it and it worked really well. When I got the tyre pressure at it's best, I put a sticker on the inside of the cab so I wouldn't forget them!

I also found that fully laden was much better (even, dare I say it -overladen!) than half empty. As mine was very old, it wouldn't go above 45mph, which wasn't really fast enough on a motorway, so I just used the A roads. If I needed to use the motorway, it would be in the middle of the night when there was little else on there. Call me a cissy if you like, but the lorries had it snaking all over the place.

Another thing that really helped a lot was fitting new heavy duty commercial van tyres - they gripped the road much better than the ones I had bought it with.

It's generally the case that, because the vehicle is short in length but high in height, that the wobbly problem never really goes away, you just learn to handle it differently!

Comment

Thanks very much Ant and jayjay, I will try the tyre pressure thing and changing the tyres at some point.
        It can be really scary sometimes and I was beginning to think it was my rubbish driving ... Not!!

Angela

Comment

double post in error - darned firefox update in the middle!
          Last edited by jayjay; 21-09-2010, 09:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
            Thanks very much Ant and jayjay, I will try the tyre pressure thing and changing the tyres at some point.
            It can be really scary sometimes and I was beginning to think it was my rubbish driving ... Not!!

Angela
            I thought the same! You do get used to it after a while and learn to handle the wobble though!

I went to the outer Hebrides in mine! On the A roads... took three days and two night stopovers just to get to Aviemore - then another overnight stop waiting for the ferry at Ullapool. I didn't even know how to get there without the M6, but managed it with the help of the TomTom! But it was lovely going through all the old villages along the way, and the tourist route along the Clyde was lovely!

Comment

Unstable demountable

The tyre pressures are now 23 in the front and 35 in the back in our Suzuki Romahome Demountable. We think the van looks a bit more level now, as it did look higher at the front than the back.

During a trial run today, it seemed to be more stable, although there wasn't any wind or lorries flying past today!! At one stage Dolly got up to 70mph on the motorway without realising it.

We may try reducing the pressure in the front tyres a little bit more just to see if that's even better.

Patricia

Comment

Hi Dolly.
                I think 23psi on the front is probably as low as you want to go, especially when you're all loaded up for a trip. All you need to do now is to keep an eye on how the now softer tyres start wearing. If both outer edges( not just one edge, thats something completely different) wear faster than the centre tread your tyres are too soft, if the centre wears before the outer edges they're too hard.
                Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X