rain in the back of romahome c15 1992

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rain in the back of romahome c15 1992

hi Ant, I have got rain in the back, in between the fridge and the sink. I think it has been coming in from the rubber seal of the back door, saw rain coming into the right corner of the door but van on a camber leaning that way. Also has signs of a leak from the right side window (insulation is stained in bottom left corner) and someone has put some silicon sealer along the top of the window but i can feel it is drafty in the to top left corner of the window. Also has sealer around both rear light clusters but the sealer is broken, can it come from the rear lights ? The floor when I stand on it bang in the centre next to what looks like a seam running from the step down part to the back oozes water from a small line in the fiber glass, next to the door.
    Q first of all can water accumulate under the floor and if yes how can I get it out, other than just walking it towards the small line until it comes out then dry it up?
    Q can rain run into the floor, from any of the other mentioned places or has it got in through the small line/crack in the first place ?
    blinking mind boggler.
    Any ideas
    thank you

dave123

This is an ongoing and topical issue for me, albeit on a Berlingo base vehicle.

From the outset my rear van has sported a rear foot-bath in the footwell between the fridge and cupboard. When I bought the van, the ply floor had rotted completely although this wasn't discovered for some months. It was replaced along with the door seal, the door repositioned and the lock adjusted but the water eventually finds its way back in again.

After the last spell a few weeks ago, I discovered the water is running down the channels on each side of the door, pooling on the top of the seal then pouring into the footbath.

My latest means of beating this is to fit.... an experimental layer of DPC to the frame beneath the elevating roof to completely deflect rain from the door. Mine is probably the only Romahome with a fitted DPC but it's done the trick, for now at least.

I'll give it some further testing and, if it still works, then I'll tidy it up and secure it into place. Although unconventional, it's not actually obvious in use.

Comment

I've had and currently have again this problem. It briefly went away when I put an extra draught proof seal around the door. Need to look back in threads to see what Ant said before.

Comment

My old 1991 C15 had this problem, but not to the "bath" extent! It only happened when rain was very heavy and I was driving it. I just used to wait for a sunny day and dry the mat out. There wasn't any plywood to go rotten, just the mat sat in the plastic "well", so no damage done and I could have easily bought a new doormat if necessary so I didn't worry about it.

Comment

Oh dear, poor you and great sympathies with this problem, which my R20 had too.
          For my van, the water was coming in through the fridge vents and also collecting beneath the rear footplate in the bumper unit and emptying itself into the van via vents at back step and sitting in a great puddle between rear cupboards. Repairs done by local caravan repairer shortly before Christmas and so far, so good.
          There seem to be a fair few Romahomes with water ingress troubles. Once mine were sorted, it took a week with the rear floor up and a dehumidifer running to dry out the plywood floor.
          Hope you're either good at DIY or can find someone as helpful as I did to do it for you. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by dave123 View Post
            hi Ant, I have got rain in the back, in between the fridge and the sink. I think it has been coming in from the rubber seal of the back door, saw rain coming into the right corner of the door but van on a camber leaning that way. Also has signs of a leak from the right side window (insulation is stained in bottom left corner) and someone has put some silicon sealer along the top of the window but i can feel it is drafty in the to top left corner of the window. Also has sealer around both rear light clusters but the sealer is broken, can it come from the rear lights ? The floor when I stand on it bang in the centre next to what looks like a seam running from the step down part to the back oozes water from a small line in the fiber glass, next to the door.
            Q first of all can water accumulate under the floor and if yes how can I get it out, other than just walking it towards the small line until it comes out then dry it up?
            Q can rain run into the floor, from any of the other mentioned places or has it got in through the small line/crack in the first place ?
            blinking mind boggler.
            Any ideas
            thank you

dave123
            Hi Dave.
            There are several places a C15 can let water in at the rear.
            1. The door seal, it works with the black trim on the outer edge of the door, if this trim has come away from the door it doesn't make a seal against the rubber seal on the door frame when you shut the door. ALWAYS split the stable door and fasten the lower door before closing the upper door.
            2. The rear lights have a rubber seal that needs to be kept clean and free of algae, smear with vaseline after cleaning.
            The rear step down part is a sandwhich of marine ply and grp on the C15 unlike the Berlingo which has ply exposed. The fact you've got water oozing out of the grp is not good news, there must be a crack somewhere letting the water in. I would drill a couple of holes in the wettest corners and see what runs out.
            3.The mains hook-up fitting can also leak, with the rear light out you can see the inner part of the fitting and check it.
            4. The side windows either leak past the rubber and perpex or past the rubber frame surround and the GRP. If you have a staining in the locker or on the trim I suspect the latter. You need to seal the rubber surround to the GRP.
            Drying out water trapped begind the scenes will take a season, use dehumidifiers, news papers and sunny days. You'll think its dry then more wet will appear without any rain, there's quite a store of under the fridge and sink locker!
            Good luck
            Ant

Comment

I had a problem with water coming underneath the door in my caravan, and I made myself a Heath Robinson style water deflector from two wide strips of gorilla tape. It's still there, two seasons later and still doing the job! Although I think Ant has nailed this one for the original poster of this thread, I thought I would put this in here in case anyone else has a similar problem to mine.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's my Heath-Robinson solution which appears to working well so far!

DSC05268.jpg

Comment

Don't you just LOVE being a Heath Robinson person????

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                    Don't you just LOVE being a Heath Robinson person????
                    If it works, and so far it seems to!

After more testing I'll tidy it up and then fix it into place. I like an easy solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                      Hi Dave.
                      There are several places a C15 can let water in at the rear.
                      1. The door seal, it works with the black trim on the outer edge of the door, if this trim has come away from the door it doesn't make a seal against the rubber seal on the door frame when you shut the door. ALWAYS split the stable door and fasten the lower door before closing the upper door.
                      2. The rear lights have a rubber seal that needs to be kept clean and free of algae, smear with vaseline after cleaning.
                      The rear step down part is a sandwhich of marine ply and grp on the C15 unlike the Berlingo which has ply exposed. The fact you've got water oozing out of the grp is not good news, there must be a crack somewhere letting the water in. I would drill a couple of holes in the wettest corners and see what runs out.
                      3.The mains hook-up fitting can also leak, with the rear light out you can see the inner part of the fitting and check it.
                      4. The side windows either leak past the rubber and perpex or past the rubber frame surround and the GRP. If you have a staining in the locker or on the trim I suspect the latter. You need to seal the rubber surround to the GRP.
                      Drying out water trapped begind the scenes will take a season, use dehumidifiers, news papers and sunny days. You'll think its dry then more wet will appear without any rain, there's quite a store of under the fridge and sink locker!
                      Good luck
                      Ant
                      thank you for your help Ant very informative will try all the things you have recommended all the best
                      dave

Comment