Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eberspacher again

Hello Ant,

I had the apparently common problem of not enough battery oomph to start the Eberspacher water/space diesel heater in my Outlook.

I discovered the starter battery was in a bad way, so now have a new starter battery, and I've upgraded to a new 100ah leisure battery, but I'm still having to run the vehicle engine in order to get the Eberspacher heater to start.

The only time it will fire up on its own is just after a decent length journey and there's almost 14v showing on the Zig unit. That's when the van is pretty warm anyway so I'm not needing the heater. Come four in the morning or breakfast time, the voltage is 12/13v and I have to.... As a bodge that's fine out in the wilds, but not too good on a campsite. And it's a bodge that surely shouldn't be needed?

So now what? Any ideas most welcome as summer still hasn't reached this part of the world yet! And I really want to get this sorted before the next season kicks in.

Best wishes and many thanks as always,
    Grannyvan

Hi Grannyvan.
    I've had two vehicles recently with the same problem, it seems to be cured by running another heavy feed wire from the battery to the heater, put an in line fuse close to the battery. The problem I think is the voltage drop from the battery to the heater due to a minimal gauge of wire used by Romahome ( Eberspachers loom provided to Romahome) and the number of connection joints that are prone to corrosion. After tests the voltage drop when the heater attempts to fire up goes from 1.2v to 0.3v with the second feed, the heater needs a stable voltage to complete the fire up cycle, a dropping voltage causes the heater to abandon the cycle. I used a 30 amp rated wire.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

I'm sure I guessed at voltage drop being the cause in reply to a similar (same?) query only a week or two ago. But I cannot find the thread. It seems there are TEN pages of forum thread headings for Eberspacher - all undated - and many about firing up with the engine stopped.
      I think you have solved a problem for many people Ant.

JimW.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
        Hi Grannyvan.
        I've had two vehicles recently with the same problem, it seems to be cured by running another heavy feed wire from the battery to the heater, put an in line fuse close to the battery. The problem I think is the voltage drop from the battery to the heater due to a minimal gauge of wire used by Romahome ( Eberspachers loom provided to Romahome) and the number of connection joints that are prone to corrosion. After tests the voltage drop when the heater attempts to fire up goes from 1.2v to 0.3v with the second feed, the heater needs a stable voltage to complete the fire up cycle, a dropping voltage causes the heater to abandon the cycle. I used a 30 amp rated wire.
        Hope this helps.
        Thanks
        Ant
        Ahh, that makes heaps of sense. Now all I have to do is work out just how to do the wiring thing ;-) But I'm sure there'll be plenty help on here somewhere in older threads, so I'll start there and see how I get on.
        Many thank,
        Grannyvan

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
          I'm sure I guessed at voltage drop being the cause in reply to a similar (same?) query only a week or two ago. But I cannot find the thread. It seems there are TEN pages of forum thread headings for Eberspacher - all undated - and many about firing up with the engine stopped.
          I think you have solved a problem for many people Ant.

JimW.
          Hi Jim,
          Yes there do seem to be lots of Eberspacher threads, and I now remember your voltage drop suggestion. Thanks to Ant I have instructions for sorting it out - maybe not the skills... yet, but I'm sure this forum will already have gone over the process sometime. I'll do some rummaging among the Eberspacher threads.

Cheers for your input - much appreciated.
          Grannyvan

Comment