X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyres

Hi Ant,

Our Outlook was registered in March 2007 and has completed about 29000 miles. It was serviced on Monday by our local Citroen dealer who flagged up that the tyre walls on the rear tyres are showing signs of cracking. the date code is 1206. Please can you advise

Thanks

peter Holden

Hi Peter.
    Sadly the Michelin tyres are designed for heavy use not light Motorhome use, as a result they tend to sit in the sun and bake, or develop flat spots where they don't get used very much. I spend a lot of time and money changing tyres on vehicles I sell that have three quarters of the tread left but show signs of cracking on the side walls. To reduce the effects of the sun it's a good idea to dress the tyres every now and then with a tyre dressing that feeds the rubber to keep it supple. Much as the Michelin tyre is a good hard wearing tyre for commercial use I never replace my tyres with the same as they are just too hard and tend to crack before they wear out.
    Any commercially rated tyre ( Black and round) will do for a Motorhome, even the "C" rated budget tyres seem to last just as long, they just wear out rather than crack.
    Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant

I was concerned because this vehicle does not sit arround almost 30000 miles in 2 and ahalf years. Our Berlingo car gets the same treatment and tyres wear out rather than crack but then again I have budget tyres on that. Not a good advert for Michelin in my book

Comment

Peter.
        The commercial use would be nearer 40 to 50000 miles a year, the Berlingo van used by the people who deliver my service parts is a 56 registered van with 175000 miles on the clock, it wears out the tyres before they crack. Your berlingo car uses softer compound rubber than the Romahome on its tyres therfore they arn't so likely to go hard and dry. Michelin tyres are very good at what they're designed for and are many commercial users first choice. For a Motorhome I would just go for Black and round with the correct rating.
        Ant

Comment

Thanks for that info Ant, it was also useful to me.
          I like "black and round"
          Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hi Ant,
            Interesting thread. I have noticed cracks on my tyres too but it has only just had an MOT last week. Is it likely they have missed this or is it only serious if cracks are in specific places??

Comment

Hi andanotherthing.
              If your tyres were showing cracks at an MOT, the tester can only fail them if the cord can be seen and the crack is 25mm or more long. Most testers will "Advise" on tyres that have started to go. My advise would be to start looking for some tyre bargains and change them at the right money rather than be forced to at a service or MOT, they'll not get better!
              Ant

Comment

tyres

MOT today and failed on tyres . 18500 miles 07 outlook . what do you use as a dresser please .

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                  Hi Ant,

Our Outlook was registered in March 2007 and has completed about 29000 miles. It was serviced on Monday by our local Citroen dealer who flagged up that the tyre walls on the rear tyres are showing signs of cracking. the date code is 1206. Please can you advise

Thanks

peter Holden
                  I read somewhere that the code on the tyres shows the date as being the 12th month of the year 2006 when they were manufactured. Can't remember after how many years you are suppsoed to replace them (cracks or not) but I know on a caravan you are supposed to change the tyres after three years of the manufacture date stamped on them, worn or not, in case of internal structure damage..

Comment

Hi Dave.
                    The aim is to stop the tyre drying out and becoming hard, you can buy dressing from Halfords or any other motor factor. I think they're called various things like "Tyre black" , "Tyre dressing", etc. You can use simple things like WD40 which gets absorbed slightly before it dries out, don't put any of the products on the tread! If you leave the vehicle for long periods of time put something over the tyre to protect it from the sun.
                    Ant

Comment

155 X 13 8 Ply tyres, not available.

Hi.
                      Hope I am in the right place. I didn't want to start a new thread as it's probably been covered before, but I can't find where.
                      I am trying to re-tyre my 1991 C15D. I read somewhere in a thread that 155x13 8 ply or van tyres were the correct one for my Romahome. Living on Orkney it's not always possible to get hold of things. My local tyre (ATS) and a local garage have both tried to get 155x13 8 ply/ van tyres for it. They have had no luck and can not find them anywhere (It's what I have been told by the ATS manager...who is a friend)
                      They are suggesting 165X 13 8 ply. But I seem to have read somewhere that they are too large in profile, may rub etc?
                      Did I dream this or not?
                      Are 165X13 8 ply tyres ok for my Romahome please?
                      Thankyou.

Comment

Hi Orkney Viking.
                        The 165 x 13 tyre will fit but if your rear suspension arm bushes are even slightly worn the tyre will rub on the wheel arch. As you've got a '91 C15 the chances are your bushes are already slightly worn so a 165 tyre would not be a good idea.

I use various "Black and round" tyres. Nexen, Dubeka, Max Miler-x to name three. Some are 8 ply some 6 ply, the most important part is they must be rated to carry 490Kg anything else really doesn't matter.
                        Ant

Comment

Machonachy's tyre and exhausts have outlets in Wick and Thurso, Orkney Viking - have you tried them? I wonder if they'd put them on the ferry for you.

Comment

Thankyou.

Thankyou for that. Believe it or not there is a McConechy's Tyre Service depot on Orkney. (I didn't know they existed) Gave them a phone this morning. No trouble at all. 4 ordered, will be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday all being well. £43.00. Not sure which brand. Mrs Viking very happy !!

Comment

Originally posted by orkney viking View Post
                              Thankyou for that. Believe it or not there is a McConechy's Tyre Service depot on Orkney. (I didn't know they existed) Gave them a phone this morning. No trouble at all. 4 ordered, will be delivered Tuesday or Wednesday all being well. £43.00. Not sure which brand. Mrs Viking very happy !!
                              Yay!!:so happy::so happy: Did you get the 155x13 8 ply or van tyres? I know it's not easy getting things to offshore islands. I loved the Orkneys when I came over, going back around 5 years now but fondly remembered. Hope to come back one day, just can't get my head around towing a caravan all that way though, so I'll probably do self catering! LOL!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X