Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hylo Floor Rot

Hi Ant,

It is the fungus season but yesterday we were less than amused to find fungus growing out of the floor in the corner below the sink and next to the rear door.
    We have lifted the vinyl and the wood under it is all soft and will have to be replaced. We are wondering how far that wood extends and how big a job it is going to be. Does this wood extend under the fridge and cupboard?

The Fergusons

Hi The Fergusons.
    The wood is marine ply, so I'm surprised it has started to rot. That bit does not extend all the way under the units and fridge, if you look under the back of the van you'll see there is a step in the underside that shows how far the wood extends. It wont be easy getting the wood out as it's bonded in, you'll have to chip at it to get a space big enough to get under it without breaching the GRP underneath. It might be worth getting it completely dry then soaking it in a wood hardener which effectively turns it into a wood/resin mix.
    Ant

Comment

I'm not sure if Ant is back from his holidays at the NEC in Birmingham yet but I'm sure he'll soon catch up with his questions and get back to you ASAP. Sorry I can't be of help, never had a hylo!! Welcome to the forum though!!
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

IGNORE MY LAST POST!!! I've just noticed Ant has answered a question earlier today, so he must be back from his hols - hope you had a fruitful trip Ant!!

EDIT:- See - Ant is that good he replied in the time it took me to read your post and type a short reply AND his reply was useful, unlike mine. He is a superhero!!!
        Last edited by glenw; 19-10-2010, 14:26.
        Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Can I just ask if this construction is standard to all Hylo's across the years (ours is a 2008). My concern is that we recently had a very wet carpet in that area we think due to an error on our part concerning the fridge and the subsequent defrosting, we addressed this quickly and all is now nice and dry but I wondered if it is worth lifting the vinyl to check for any damage. I am reluctant to do this due to the silicon sealant.

Regards.

Geoff.
          Last edited by macamxth1st; 19-10-2010, 19:21.

Comment

Hi Ant,

Thanks a lot for the quick reply.
            The marine ply has delaminated on top layer, I think we will scrape back to a level surface and apply wood hardener. We rescued the vinyl today.
            Can't really understand what caused it apart from overboiling kettle sometimes.

Thanks a lot,

The Fergusons

Comment

Hi Geoff.
              The rear step area of all Romahomes has had marine ply fitted, it gives strength to the rear and reduces the fibreglass creek as you get in. As with any use of timber, it must be allowed to breath to stop it degrading and rotting, it may be that the floor area is able to sweat under the vinyl and the best thing you could do is break the seal of the silicone. It's like painting wooden window frames with a modern oil based gloss paint, it's the fastest way to start them rotting, they need to breath.
              Ant

Comment

I lifted the carpet and we haven't got any wood, the carpet goes straight onto the GRP! Is this something I should attend too?
                Nic

Comment

Hi Nic.
                  The wood on yours is sandwiched between two layers of GRP, there's not much you can do. Providing the water can't get to the wood there's no problem. It's only after accident damage repairs or tow bar fitting is there a problem with the water getting in.
                  Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X