As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring Assisters for Duo

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring Assisters for Duo

Hi Ant

A while ago I fitted the later heavy duty MAD springs to my 1999 Duo thinking it would raise the back end a bit. Just my luck that a couple of days after ordering them I read your post saying that you chose to use the Grayston springs for that very same reason. Needless to say I didn't get the result I wanted (although I did find that one of the old springs was broken).

The time has come to do the properly but I am now a bit confused about which part number to use - Grayston's list says 31B07H for my year of Berlingo (apparently all models); but I came across a company (I think they are Dutch) who quotes that part no. for 400/600kg, but 31B14H for the 800kg (up to 2002); then quotes 31B14H for 2002 onwards. Just in case it was a misprint I checked the Peugeot Partner and it was the same.

I would be most grateful if you could tell me which is the right one for the Duo and also whether they would supply me, being non-trade, although I will no doubt find that out when I phone.

Thanks in anticipation,

Keith

ps the reason for this is that I have a pull-out step fitted so the higher it can be lifted the better!

Hi Keith.
    Everybody is right!
    The early days of the Grayston spring assistor you had one part no for all Berlingos ( 31B07H ) laterly they made the 31B14H for the later style of Berlingo. However they both fit either. The early one was originally for the 765KG chassis which turned into the 800KG chassis, the later assistor is very slightly heavier and a bit harder to fit as a result. I find Grayston don't always have the later one in stock so you may have to wait.
    I find even the lighter spring lifts the van more than the MAD spring.
    Ant

Comment

Many thanks Ant for your quick reply. I've opted for the heavier duty springs and placed an order. As you warned me I may be in for a long wait, but there's no hurry. I suppose I could say I'm getting more money's worth out of the MAD springs!!

Any advice on the type of compressors to use would be welcome - I haven't got any so I would like to chose the most suitable type if there is one.

I did the MAD springs with a couple of cycle toe-straps!!!

Thanks again

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith.
        I always remove the bottom shock absorber bolt which allows the trailing arm to drop a bit which in turn makes the job much easier with no pulled back muscles or lively springs. If you're doing the job on the vehicle jack, you'll need to lower the brake drum onto some bricks ( or something similar) just to line up the shock absorber bolt again. Doing the job this way you don't need to compress the springs any more than is possible by hand.
        Ant

Comment

Thankyou yet again Ant for your advice. You've saved me some expense there and I'll tackle the job with a bit more confidence now!
          Keith

Comment

Hi Ant

The springs (31B14H) finally arrived so I'm waiting for a suitable day (dry and not freezing!).

The enclosed instructions tell me to adjust the brake load-sensing valve but it refers of course to a Berlingo as opposed to a Romahome. Is it necessary on the Duo and if so how do I get at it? I have pointed my digi camera underneath where I would expect the valve to be and taken loads of pics but I can't get a glimpse of it!?! (It's nowhere to be seen in any 'photos in the Haynes manual).

Keith

Comment

Hello Keith (and Ant)
              Sorry for perhaps hijacking your post but the following caught my attention:
              "ps the reason for this is that I have a pull-out step fitted so the higher it can be lifted the better! "
              I have an outlook and think a pull out step would really add to it. Is this something readily available, or something you have found yourself?
              Any info very welcome,
              Aileen

Comment

Hi Aileen

The step is an "Omni-Step" - about £100 (I think) from Riversway Leisure.

In theory it is easy to fit, but the floor in the Romahome would not be strong enough to support the step if fitted as intended. I made some mods to the mounting brackets to start with so as to lift the step as high as poss. I then fitted the rear brackets under the bumper which I had reinforced to spread the load. Two long coach bolts went right through from the top of the bumper to a 'nylock' nut (sorry niloc!) under the bracket. There are water and gas pipes and electric wires running through this box section so care was taken! The thing to bear in mind here is that with the step fully extended the long bolts/rear bumper would take almost twice the weight of a person standing right on the rear edge of the step. That's why the floor alone wouldn't take the weight. The step has withstood quite heavy usage so far but I wouldn't like to offer any guarantees on my method of fitting !!!

I have grounded the step lightly on a couple of occasions (hence the new springs) but it managed the Channel ferry both ways with no problem. I can't remember the thickness of the step unit - I'm sure it's under 3".

In the Duo manual there is a picture of a pull-out step and the step part resembles the steel folding step that comes with the van. It looked a bit thinner than the Omni-Step but I was unable to find such a step on the market.

Keith

Comment

Hi Keith.
                  I've done a few experiments with the rear brakes on both C15 and Berlingo after fitting various spring assistors. I've not found and noticable difference on an MOT brake tester to the before and after readings on a Berlingo. I do however adjust the C15 brake regulator, those who own a C15 know how important it is that all the brakes are working well!
                  So, my answer in short is I doubt you'll need to adjust the regulator, if you feel the need to you'll find it next to the offside trailing arm and its not easy to get to.
                  Ant

Comment

Thankyou once again, Ant, that's a relief.

It seems you always simplify things - how do you do it !!?!!

Thanks
                    Keith

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                      I do however adjust the C15 brake regulator
                      Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you tell me, Ant, your method of adjusting on the C15 please.
                      Regards Martin :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by MartinW View Post
                        Sorry to hijack this thread, but could you tell me, Ant, your method of adjusting on the C15 please.
                        Hi Martin hope you are well, Ant's away at the NEC till next Monday, so don't expect his usual quick reply.
                        Graham
                        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Graham,
                          Thanks for the info, and yes, I'm OK thanks.
                          Regards Martin :thumbsup:

Comment

springs

hi do you no
                            were can i get the heavy duty spring for my c15 romahome champ 2002year . its very low at the back and keeps scrapping on some roads have been trying to find them hope you can help

Comment

Hi Cheshire4.
                              Grayston part number B1302H is the C15 spring assistor, Grayston are on 0208 9741122
                              Thanks
                              Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X