Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki Roma

Hope you can help with this one.
    We purchased a 1987 Romahome on Suzuki Pick up base.
    It doesn't seem to be de-mountable ( no leg locators and cut out in front straight through to Suzuki cab) and no hatch up front (of Roma) to get to cover in pick up base to allow access to distributor etc.
    So a couple of questions:-
    Were any of these made by Romahome (in 1987) or is this a DIY job?
    Is it possible to work on Distributor etc with Roma in place by working from underneath with vehicle on a lift/ramp or have we got a real problem?
    Cheers
    Glassman

Hi Glassman

We've got a Suzuki Romahome Demountable. Can you send a picture of your non-demaountable.

Patricia

Comment

Suzuki Roma

Hi
      Thanks for response
      However, senility is creeping on because we don't have a Suzuki but a Bedfrod Rascall!!
      I had been reading about a Suzuki just before I mailed and got confused - oh dear!
      But we have been told the vehicles are virtually the same in all respects so I will organise a photo tomorrow
      Then all I have to do is learn how to send one via this site! Unless you would like me to send to an email address
      Cheers
      Glassman

Comment

Originally posted by glassman View Post
        Hope you can help with this one.
        We purchased a 1987 Romahome on Suzuki Pick up base.
        It doesn't seem to be de-mountable ( no leg locators and cut out in front straight through to Suzuki cab) and no hatch up front (of Roma) to get to cover in pick up base to allow access to distributor etc.
        So a couple of questions:-
        Were any of these made by Romahome (in 1987) or is this a DIY job?
        Is it possible to work on Distributor etc with Roma in place by working from underneath with vehicle on a lift/ramp or have we got a real problem?
        Cheers
        Glassman
        Hi Glassman

Ant is on his Christmas break at the moment so he won't be along any time soon to answer your questions, hopefully someone else might be able to.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Just reading this thread and the thought that came straight to my mind was, thats a Bedford Bambi, not a romahome!!! Bambi's are open from the cab to the rear, aren't demountable and are often confused with romahomes. I thought all early romahomes were demountable and it seems a strange decision to alter it by making it open through into the cab but leave it on such an early vehicle, plus it would mean making some drastic alterations to both the base vehicle and the camper part.

There is a couple of photo's here that shows a bambi and a romahome.

If your vehicle looks more like the romahome, the legs for demounting are often lost but they slot into a square hole a foot or so from the front doors.

If your vehicle looks more like the bambi, I think someone on here will be able to help you more than me, his username is Zaphod if you want to contact him direct via PM
          Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Well I used to own a Bedford Rascal Romahome Demountable, and all the engine bits were under the seats in the cab, which slid out for access on runners. The only part not accessible was the engine battery, for which access was gained by taking off the side panel on the passenger side.

Don't know if that's any help though!

As per Glen's link - two Bedford Bambis at the side of the web page and a BR romahome demountable at the bottom of the page.

If the 'home' bit isn't all-in-one moulded fibreglass and is more like a caravan with seams and things, and you have access to the cab from inside, it's more likely to be a Bambi.

Comment

Susuki Roma

Hi All
              Thanks for input.
              As you've seen from previous notes its a Bedford Rascall not a Suzuki and I'm a dingbat!

However it is definitely a Romahome - not a Bambi.
              Yes Jay Jay I can get to almost everything from under the seats but not all in particular the Distributor et al!
              Also mine is exactly as the bottom picture no side skirts and cab and chassis a nice shade of red (and oh I wish I had the bull bars)
              As the snow is clearing I'll take a couple of photos and post them on site (when I figure out how)

OK GlenW I'll look again for the square holes - are there two per side?
              Definitely the opening between Roma and Cab is professional in the Roma. It matches the rear window in the cab exactly and the joint again is a professional one and weather tight.

I only came across the problem because she's stopped running (luckily in the garden before leaving home) and a quick check shows only a minute spark on plug 1 and none on the other 3. So we needed to check points etc and cant!
              Made me suspicious.
              Cheers
              Glassman

Comment

Right, so its definately a romahome. The opening between cab and rear is window size, rather than big enough to get from front to back, right??? Sounding more like it now!!!!!

The square holes(on our anyway) are about a foot from the front doors, 1 on each side. This page shows how a roma is demounted, on page 2 there is a photo of the jacking legs in place although there isn't one of the actual hole! The rest of the body is supported by the rear steadies when the back is demounted.

Your are also right, you do need to get under the camper to get to some parts of the engine etc. Our was on a Daihatsu but under the carpet I'm sure there was cut out to get to the engine bits. EDIT: had a re-think, no there wasn't, I was thinking of the cover plate used to cover the engine when the camper was removed.

Hope thats some help!
                Last edited by glenw; 21-12-2010, 19:23.
                Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Just found another photo that maybe of help, its belongs to someone on here, jiffyman - not sure how often he pops on though.

its on his own page, here

Comment

Suzuki/Rascal Roma

Hi GlenW
                    The photos were a great help.
                    To start with the front opening/window and seal on your Roma are exactly the same as mine but the rear window in the Rascal is the same size.
                    That has made me feel better!

Still cannot find jacking points BUT there seems to be 4 steady mounts on your Roma - is that right?

Being a Novice I thought that like our trucks the demount staedies would always be on the body but from photos it doesn't seem so - again am I right?

The pick-up body inspection panel is again exactly the same on the Rascal.

Whatever your photos have given me some assistance and I will keep checking

I'll have to leave 'till after Xmas as we have visitors - if they manage to make it!
                    Couldn't do anything today due to weather and the fact that the overhead power line to our home failed and it took Energy company fellas most of the day to fit a new one - they earned their pay in this weather (35mph winds and sleet and we are on a cliff on the North Sea)

Thanks again and wishing you and yours a Merry Xmas and Happy New Year.
                    Glassman

Comment

Hi, glad I've been some use although the photos aren't of my Motorhome , we had a romahome a few years back, I wish I had taken more photos when we owned it. The Roma body should have 2 steadies on the back which are used on site to stop the Roma rocking.They are attached to the Roma below the door,1 either side. The 2 holes on the sides are where 2 removable jacking legs are placed when you need to demount the Roma from the chassis. It's easier in practice than it is in writing, honest!!! Quite often the jacking legs are lost and without them, removing the body is virtually impossible as far as I know.
                      Hopefully one of the users on here who still own a Roma demountable will be along to offer some photos to help the explanation soon.

Merry Christmas!!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X