Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'06 Hylo - Alternator??

Hi Ant,
    Today the battery warning indicator light came on - phoned a local citroen garage and they said possibly the alternator. I do have an electrical background but have always avoided auto-electrics in the past, but don't want to spend out on a new one unless necessary.
    Can you advise on any checks to confirm it is the alternator?
    Also, is it common to have alternator failures on an almost 5 year old vehicle -does having a leisure battery put too much stress on the alternator?
    Regards,
    Dan

We have had Citroens for a number of years and covered many many miles without an alternator fault so far.

Your local Autoelectrician should be able to test it for you.

If you are at all practical you should be able to change an alternator yourself although it is not as easy as it used to be because of the drive belt and tensioner, it does explain how to do it in the Haynes manual. It does not need to be a Berlingo manual because the engine is common to a number of other Citroens and Peugeots. Your local library might have one.

You should be able to get an alternator from your local motor factor or GSF or Eurocarparts.

Comment

Diagram of alternator fittings
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dan.
        For my one pence worth, I agree with what Peter H says, but have you checked the obvious first. Is the drive belt intact? Have you checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running? It should be about 14.5 volts, give or take a little. How about a cable fault or duff earth connection?
        There will also be a thin(ish) wire going from the alternator to the ignition light. I would be checking this for good connection and continuity. A problem here will keep the ignition light on and thus will be providing no charge to the battery via the heavy duty cable.
        By the way, Ant is on vacation. I think he will be back next week.

Comment

I agree, you can check the voltage with a very basic multimeter. You would be advised to check the voltage before starting the engine and then check with the engine running.

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
            I agree, you can check the voltage with a very basic multimeter. You would be advised to check the voltage before starting the engine and then check with the engine running.
            More reliable results are obtained with the headlamps on to put the alternator under load and engine revving to check it is not TOO HIGH.
            Last edited by Twolitre; 31-12-2010, 21:22.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I checked the obvious with no success so now booked in at the garage!!
              Last edited by andanotherthing; 04-01-2011, 19:12.

Comment

Dan.
                It is unusual for an alternator to die so early, it might just have some sticking brushes, sadly only testing will tell.
                Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X