X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stable door seal

Morning!
    'Violet' our V reg C15 Hytop is now home
    Storm Katie revealed a, previously unknown, leak in the rear door seal. This has been exacerbated by the slope on our drive encouraging even drizzle in.
    We have done a hose pipe test and water is entering at the join of the two door parts - lock side worse than hinge. Water is then running down inside the seal and pooling in floor well.
    On closer inspection the 'deflector' (?correct name)on the top of the lower door appears too short (OH says has shrink with age) gap bigger at lock end than hinge side. We have put some neoprene in overnight to see if theory correct and it is definitely the point of entry. Neoprene sadly soaked through so still small amount of pooling this morning.
    Door seal itself is ok but looks it's age.
    It looks like a simple 'need to replace' job ... just want to check we are not deluded/missing something...
    Questions:
    How hard/easy is it to replace the deflector strip +/- whole door seal?
    Where is best source of materials? (We are in Birmingham and have various Caravan dealers/workshops near by)
    Any tips/secrets green owners should know? (OH is very competent at DIY etc and has experience with boat repairs but we are both new to camper van/caravans)

Thank you, in anticipation ...

Please help ... hasn't ANYONE got any advice on this?

Comment

Hi Midlandbluebell.
      The deflector strip can be stretched to fit the door top better by simply heating it up with a hair dryer and pulling it at each end to the correct length, I normally put a drop of super glue at each end of the track the deflector sits in to stop it springing back over time.
      Also you need to check the door trim that runs round the inner edge of the two halves of the door. It must be right up to the door split and must not cut the corners of the door at the top and bottom. This trim is what makes the weather seal on the door frame rubber seal. If it's slipped in its track use the same method with heat and super glue to get it back to where it should be.
      Lastly, ALWAYS split the door when shutting it, secure the lower door with the turn buckle provided on the inside and the shut the upper door. The doors will over time get a slight curve on them, by shutting the lower door first you keep that curve in check.
      Thanks
      Ant

Comment

I think it can be replaced, there's a firm called Seals Direct, if the above method described by Ant doesn't help and the seal is too far gone. Give them a call in this case, they can match most seals and you can send them a piece of the seal for identification.

I had a peculiar problem on my caravan. The back door/back of the caravan slopes inwards, and so all the rain was running down the door and getting under the bottom... we're talking very very old caravan here. There wasn't any seal at the bottom, or ever had been. I bought some Gorilla Tape and made my own 'drip strip' to stop the water getting in. After three years or so, it's still there, still stuck and good to go. You can see it on the bottom of my door in this photo.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Ant & Jay-Jay very useful 😊
          OH had already tried stretching to fit but it has a good 1/2" to make so early attempts failed. Will try again with more heat!! Have sourced replacement strip and may well 'belt & braces' with the run off strip idea too!!

Shan't fall out with Violet yet then

Comment