Zig Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zig Unit

Hi folks, I'm new to Romahoming. My 2008 Romahome Hylo has a Zig Marque 1 unit with 3 on/off switches on the right, Pump/Lights/Aux. On the left it has one switch with 3 positions, Car/Off/Caravan.
    How do I use this switch? If the Romahome is stationary with the engine not running and the mains plugged in, in the OFF position will BOTH the car and caravan batteries be charging, or no charging take place at all?
    Sorry to ask such a basic question. Thanks. GeeCee

Hi GeeCee

Welcome to the forum, this question has come up before but I can't find the thread relating to it but here is my take, others may be along later.

When the van is on a campsite we put our switch to caravan when we are travelling we put the switch to car and when we aren't doing either we put it off.

I hope that is right.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I have managed to find the thread that I was looking for so you can read what the master himself has to say on the subject.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/foru...read.php?t=507
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We leave ours on caravan all the time and have had no problems.

Comment

Ditto. I also leave the other 3 switches on, but take care not to leave a caravan light on when parked for days at home to drain the leisure battery.

The engine will charge the leisure battery when travelling with the switches in this or any other position.

Nothing in the caravan will drain the vehicle battery.

An EHU will charge the leisure battery via the Zig unit, but not the vehicle battery.

Comment

Hi GeeCee.
            Your Zig behaves the same as was explained by the thread that Graham found, but as an 08, it also has the added feature of cutting out all the caravan electrics when the engine is running, so don't be alarmed when you can't get the lights to work while the ignition is on.
            Ant

Comment

Zig unit

Hi! Fellas (and gals),

Thanks for the helpful replies. Much appreciate the quick friendly answers. I expect you'll see me (Graham) and Carole around in our Hylo. Very much looking forward to using it. I have towed a caravan for many years but it was getting old and the ZIG unit was a different type. Now I am getting old(!) I decided on an easier life.
              I have now perused the Forum and found the questions and answers very helpful. For instance the fridge discussion. I did not know that the Piezo spark ignition control had been altered from a push in button to a switch, all designed to confuse! The forum sorted that one out.
              Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks Folks

That sorted out the issue for me as well. Like GeeCee I am new to the Roma family as well. Bought the 03 Outlook a month ago - and since then have been mostly in the USA so the Roma has only done 15 miles since I brought it home! This week, indeed today, was my first chance to investigate the bits & bobs inside.

I have never met a Zig unit before (in our VW Dormobile over 30 years camping life was very basic). I have no idea the state of the batteries in this 10 year old Roma - they LOOK good ie are clean and the terminals well greased etc, but that says nothing. I acquired a cable and adaptor to hook up to house mains and set that up last night. This morning while there was a bit of sunshine through the windows I was able to see the control panel on the front of the bench seat - took a bit to work out what the switches may mean but eventually could start up the heater, get lights and the water pump. All seems ok there.

However, I had no idea whether the unit was supposed to charge the main vehicle battery as well as the auxiliary. Obviously not from your posts above so I will have to rig up a separate charger for the vehicle battery as it is unlikely I will drive very far until Spring. I have a spare "electronic" charger (Optimate type). I use that sort on my motorbike and simply leave it connected whenever the bike is not used eg overnight and a lot over winter - the bike alarms give a constant current drain, important with small batteries as on a bike.

I WILL PRESUME there is no problem leaving this sort of charger more or less permanent on the vehicle battery over winter?

SIMILARLY - can the Zig be left hooked up for a long period or is it best operated in sessions?

I do intend to leave the Roma hooked up over winter - simply to run a small 240v dehumidifier inside to keep things dry.

After the overnight hook up the auxiliary showed a good voltage when I checked on the Zig this morning - but the vehicle battery was just at the top of the "yellow" - still read 12.4v on a meter and later the engine started ok. Remember the vehicle had not been used for some weeks - and probably not a lot since early summer when it went to the dealer from where I bought it

Cheers Snod

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                  Hi! Fellas (and gals),

Thanks for the helpful replies. Much appreciate the quick friendly answers. I expect you'll see me (Graham) and Carole around in our Hylo. Very much looking forward to using it. I have towed a caravan for many years but it was getting old and the ZIG unit was a different type. Now I am getting old(!) I decided on an easier life.
                  I have now perused the Forum and found the questions and answers very helpful. For instance the fridge discussion. I did not know that the Piezo spark ignition control had been altered from a push in button to a switch, all designed to confuse! The forum sorted that one out.
                  Thanks again.
                  Possibly very naive comment but I spent ages trying to get my fridge to ignite on gas. It took me several days before I discovered the ignition battery had run out! It didn't say in the Romahome manual about the battery. Anyway I replaced it and all worked! I would say though that the method of extracting the battery is tricky and its difficult to prevent damage to to bit you have to twist with a screwdriver........

Bunchy

Comment

A 2003 Fridge ignition was powered from the vehicles 12volt system ( thinner yellow wire at the fuse box), it's only the later fridges that may need batteries changing.
                    Ant

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X