Reversing light; Whale pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reversing light; Whale pump

Several years ago I remember changing the reversing light bulb but possibly on older van (now on third Romahome in 16 years; a romahome outlook). How do I access fitting? Also my Whale pump froze in recent weather. Although it is making healthy noises it's not pumping so I guess the casing has cracked. Has anyone managed to "repair" pump if only for temporary use?

Originally posted by janet View Post
    Several years ago I remember changing the reversing light bulb but possibly on older van (now on third Romahome in 16 years; a romahome outlook). How do I access fitting? Also my Whale pump froze in recent weather. Although it is making healthy noises it's not pumping so I guess the casing has cracked. Has anyone managed to "repair" pump if only for temporary use?
    next to your rear light cluster is a thin white strip of fibrglass approx 1 inch wide, its on the side close to the door.this can be gently levered off from the top,it conceales the screws that hold the rear light cluster closed.remove the screws open the hinged cluster replace bulb.
    where is your pump?
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

We had our pump fail one year and it turned out that the pump was sucking air as the pump input connector had been loosened by the water freezing and thawing.
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Hi Janet.
        If your pump has split and it's mounted outside the tank you're getting wet! A common result of freezing in the Outlook water system is the non return valve in the water pipe coming from the pump gets pushed off by ice. The result is the pump buzzes and pumps as normal but no water comes out of the tap. The valve is behind the panel next to the water tank ( follow the pipe with your hand and you'll just be able to feel it), when it comes apart the water is pumped into the sill of the van and is seen running out of the the sill drain holes outside. Shove the valve back in the pipe and tighten the clips.
        Ant

Comment

Many thanks.

Come Sunday in daylight I'll be doing my jobs and will post if successful. It's so helpful to have tips. I now wonder if I've replaced Whale pumps unnecessarily in past. Hope you have a good year Ant ... I always mention you in person when people show an interest in Romahomes. Being so close to Bristol Airport makes you easy to find which is helpful when describing how to find you.

Comment

Thanks Ian

I shall now take unit apart....thought this was the answer but needed reassurance. Must have been the C15 Romahome which once more required acts of contortion Still it was a bit extreme to think about swapping my van because it needed a light bulb and water pump! Janet

Comment

Ant.. what on earth are timing belts?

I owned vehicles for over 30 years before I'd heard of a cam belt and now you advertise 2cnd hand Romahomes with new timing belts. Life's just full of worry! My vans about 7 years old and I certainly haven't asked for one to be fitted.(Not surprisingly as I didn't know I had one! I wish I kept better records because I think my last cam belt was for previous Romahome. How frequently should they be replaced? Thanks for all your support. Janet

Comment

Hello Derek ...

Originally posted by Derek View Post
                We had our pump fail one year and it turned out that the pump was sucking air as the pump input connector had been loosened by the water freezing and thawing.
                Thanks for your reply...After 16 years of Romahomes I'm finding people with a common interest. I bet they'd all make good friends too, though Ant thinks we are an odd bunch! Janet

Comment

I owned vehicles for over 30 years before I'd heard of a cam belt and now you advertise 2cnd hand Romahomes with new timing belts. Life's just full of worry! My vans about 7 years old and I certainly haven't asked for one to be fitted.(Not surprisingly as I didn't know I had one! I wish I kept better records because I think my last cam belt was for previous Romahome. How frequently should they be replaced? Thanks for all your support. Janet
                  Hi Janet. It usually says in the manual how many miles you should do before changing the cam belt. Most cars are around 70,000 miles on average. Unless its a Nissan, which has a chain and never needs replacing.

It's usually the first thing I do when I change cars, and was one of the first things I did on my campervan. It's not cheap to do as the cambelt is usually beneath the engine, but the alternative is to risk that cambelt breaking and then you'll need a new engine! A rule of thumb for me is - if you don't know if the cambelt has ever been changed, change it. It's one less worry.

Comment

Thanks for your reply...After 16 years of Romahomes I'm finding people with a common interest. I bet they'd all make good friends too, though Ant thinks we are an odd bunch! Janet
                    Janet,
                    Come and join us at Moreton In Marsh for our spring meet and meet the gang,Or come to the Romahome rally AGM and meet the other gang,
                    ODD we may be ,friendly we certainly are,its nice to know the folks.
                    Ian

Comment

Can't find my non-return valve ...

Success with reversing light but no fog lights and a destroyed metal clip which I didn't even need to remove! Perhaps I could retrain as a mechanic....Ant do you need an apprentice? Now the Whale pump.It's in front of the tank in my van so not so tedious getting at it. I disconnected the inlet pipe ...couldn't detect a non-return valve but was aware that the pipe seemed to be lined with a white fitting. I reconnected the pipe, screwed it up tight and tightened pipe on tank, said my prayers and tested it. Ugh! Did what I always do in these circumstances ...closed van and went for walk.I was impressed by my idea of setting up a mirror to test rear lights...I spend a lot of mental energy planning my approach but tend to think the manual restricts my imagination so open it as a last resort. I'm in mid Cornwall on South coast ..is anyone out there who is close by. I never flash lights....how crude....I wave VIGOUROUSLY!

Comment

Thanks Ian...

I hope now to meet with fellow Romahome fanatics when I can. I have had vans for years but now use it for work which gives me more interest in life.I find work in areas I want to visit (walking, concerts etc). One day I'll forget the work angle and concentrate on the rest.

Comment

I hope now to meet with fellow Romahome fanatics when I can. I have had vans for years but now use it for work which gives me more interest in life.I find work in areas I want to visit (walking, concerts etc). One day I'll forget the work angle and concentrate on the rest.
                          Non return valve is hidden,no I dont know why, facing pump,polythene tubing runs right hand side up and vanishes under a white hardboard panel.this is held in place by about 6 screws,remove screws carefully and behind the panel you will find some wet insulation wool, and two screw jubilee clips one of the clips will have allowed the two ends of the poly pipe to separate exposing the nonreturn valve,push the two pipe ends together,tighten the clips,test the system,mop up, replace the panel,curse the twit that put it out of sight.go indoors,wine and lie down.

Comment

I don't think you're an odd bunch just slightly eccentric at times, which is why you all seem to bond so well with the Romahomes. I often have a smile to myself at shows when I overhear the kids in a family group say " Mum, Dad come and have a look at this funny little thing, where do you put the telly?" Mum and Dad say nothing and look at each other with a raised eyebrow. I know then that the seed has been sown and some day we'll see them again.

Comment

Thank to you all

With your help I unscrewed the panel and lo and behold the the pipe connected to the valve was floating free! All working perfectly now. I woner how many more secrets this van is witholding from me. My latest problem is a snapped suspension spring which I hope a mechanic will sort tomorrow. Sleeping in van miles from home in thick frost! No problem.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X