How to tell if the fridge is working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell if the fridge is working

Hi I have a c15 with a fridge in the back that's supposed to run off mains hookup. Gas or 12v whilst driving. How can I check the fridge actually works on mains there's no light inside or on the exterior except for the gas ignition switch. I was expecting at the least an led to indicate supply live? It's a 1990 romahome. I also don't have any other switched except the main breaker under the seat??

For a start, your fridge will only work on 12v whilst you are on the move, not on either gas or from an EHU point. Please don't drive with your gas switched on!

There are no lights on my fridge either. But if you are connected to EHU, and you have plugged in the electric socket to the fridge (which is just a three point plug, like you get on a household fridge), there are two ways to check. One is to put your hand over the outside cover and feel for heat output, the other is to feel inside the fridge - usually there is a top bar/little ice box which will get colder after half an hour or so.

The way to check if your electric sockets are working when plugged into EHU is to try them with an electric table lamp. If the lamp doesn't light up in the normal way, then you are missing switching on a switch somewhere which turns on the power inside the habitation unit.

If you go to the main website, there are manual for Romahomes there that you can download.

Here you go - a link to the manuals, the C15 Hylo is more or less the same.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html
    Last edited by jayjay; 04-06-2016, 14:30.

Comment

Originally posted by siggydave View Post
      Hi I have a c15 with a fridge in the back that's supposed to run off mains hookup. Gas or 12v whilst driving. How can I check the fridge actually works on mains there's no light inside or on the exterior except for the gas ignition switch. I was expecting at the least an led to indicate supply live? It's a 1990 romahome. I also don't have any other switched except the main breaker under the seat??
      A factory fitted 3-way fridge will have an isolation switch, early models had a knob you turned to choose 12v, "0" or 240 v, later fittings just had a switch on the left of the fridge low down. If it's been retro fitted ( a Fridge of any kind was an option in 1990), it could be wired in all sorts of ways and would need studying to establish how it's been done.
      Ant

Comment

Easiest way would be to plug the EHU in at home, switch on the fridge and check inside the freezer compartment after an hour. Similarly, an hours run on 12V and the freezer should be cool. Gas is a bit easier to check.
        Note that Romahomes tend to have multiple switches for both mains and 12V. Make sure they're all on.
        Still crazy after all these beers.

Comment