This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome door leaking

Hi Ant - I have a 1998 Romahome Duo. Water has started coming and up to 3 inches seems to come in via the door somehow although I have not seen how it gets in. My local garage at Shap have readjusted the hinges and the amount of water has reduced greatly but it is still getting wet on the floor in the kitchen area. I had got quite handy with the turkey baster but its still a lot of towels job and I seem to fighting a losing battle . I would value your advice as things are getting damp generallly. Thanks. Rosemary
    Last edited by Rose; 27-11-2009, 20:05. Reason: spelling mistake

Hi Rose.
    'Tis the season for damp duos! There is very little adjustment available to you at the hinges, the only way to tighten the door seal is by adjusting the striker plate. The temptation is to over tighten the door fit, this infact can make things worse. I find the best fit is when you can just get the door to shut on its' second catch ( you can hear the clics) when you push hard on it when shutting. If the door is over tightened it will only have one clic when pushing it shut, if its too slack the second clic comes well before the door is tight up against the rubber. Normally a well adjusted door will be weather tight.
    Your newly adjusted door may well now be keeping the rain out, however if you've had a lot of water in the van it will take quite a while for all the water stored under the fridge and cupboard unit to seep out, making it look like you've still got a leak.
    Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Rose View Post
      Hi Ant - I have a 1998 Romahome Duo. Water has started coming and up to 3 inches seems to come in via the door somehow although I have not seen how it gets in. My local garage at Shap have readjusted the hinges and the amount of water has reduced greatly but it is still getting wet on the floor in the kitchen area. I had got quite handy with the turkey baster but its still a lot of towels job and I seem to fighting a losing battle . I would value your advice as things are getting damp generallly. Thanks. Rosemary
      I had this trouble and found that the water was coming in (or rarther seeping in) via the metal strip round the door that holds the half round seal. I removed the seal in the metal strip, sealed round the edg of the metal srip, not forggeting to seal over the metal srip holding screws. Then refitted the half round seal. It worked for me. Iused a Caravan Clear seal.
      Hope you can under stand?

Comment

Yep, you need to wait until you're sure that the excess water under things has drained away.

If the water keeps on coming, and you still don't have tight fit, you could use some of this -

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/bbCMS/s...DepartmentId=8 scroll down the page, item ET57.

I fitted it all around my door, including the strip on the inside where the door comes to. It stopped all leaks and also a lot of draughts! Measure how much you need, and push it on, then tap lightly with a hammer, it's self-gripping. If you go to their home page, they will send you a sample(s) free of charge and it usually arrives the next day!

I really had to push for that second click when I'd fitted this stuff. And it also made the door much tidier and smart looking.

Comment