back door lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

back door lock

Hi Ant, the lock on my stable door is very flimsy and can even be opened with a blank key. What sort of place do I need to go to to get a stronger lock fitted?
    Lin
    :sunshine:

I don't wish to hijack Ant's section but along with your new lock you could install a door security deadbolt. I have one on my C15. It works as long as you lock all you doors.

Comment

Hi Lin.
      The lock probably needs replacing as a complete unit, once the barrel gets a bit worn I find the rest is also a bit worn and fitting a new barrel is a waste of time and money. The lock fitted to your van is probably a "Caraloc 640", some later C15's had the "Caraloc 2000" either will fit. The complete lock comes with inner and outer parts.
      Just aside from your lock problems, you should always shut the stable door in two halves, leaning over the bottom half and securing it in place with the turnbuckles on the inside before shutting and locking the upper door. The reason for doing this is firstly it holds the lower door tight and prevents it from getting a concave bow from the vacuum pulling on it while driving and thus keeps its weather seal, and secondly it's harder to break into if it's secured at the bottom and not just by a plastic lock in the middle.
      Ant

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
        I don't wish to hijack Ant's section but along with your new lock you could install a door security deadbolt. I have one on my C15. It works as long as you lock all you doors.
        Nigel,
        Could you put a photo of your security bolt on the site ,You will remember I thought you had done a brill fitting job,and one fitted to stable doors would make a difference.

Cheers Pal
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

I hope this comes out OK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Originally posted by riosromahome View Post
            I hope this comes out OK

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
            Perfect Nigel,you made a good job of this and You said it was easy?
            This will help our chums with stable doors - wish I had thought of it when I had my C15.
            Ian

Comment

You can also get this type of rack bolt with a small door knob so you don't have to worry about misplacing the key.

Also, you can get them with a lock barrel in place of the knob which means that you can fit them on the outside and have a key-locked mortice deadbolt.

Whichever you buy, make sure you get one like the one in the picture which has a small pimple on the end of the bolt. After you have fitted the bolt to the door you can operate the bolt and make a mark in the frame at exactly the right position to drill. Otherwise, a dab of Tippex or paint will do but it's not as accurate.

These bolts come in different lengths too. In the home, short ones are fitted to windows and long ones to doors. Either might fit a camper door depending on the clearance available but make sure you get the right one to suit.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post

You can also get this type of rack bolt with a small door knob so you don't have to worry about misplacing the key.

Also, you can get them with a lock barrel in place of the knob which means that you can fit them on the outside and have a key-locked mortice deadbolt.

Whichever you buy, make sure you get one like the one in the picture which has a small pimple on the end of the bolt. After you have fitted the bolt to the door you can operate the bolt and make a mark in the frame at exactly the right position to drill. Otherwise, a dab of Tippex or paint will do but it's not as accurate.

These bolts come in different lengths too. In the home, short ones are fitted to windows and long ones to doors. Either might fit a camper door depending on the clearance available but make sure you get the right one to suit.
                The object of the excersize was to secure the door from the outside when leaving the van,a door knob is not quite the idea,Nigels idea is so simple and effective.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                  The object of the exercise was to secure the door from the outside ...
                  Rack bolts are specifically NOT recommended for locking from the outside unless the keyed barrel, which I mentioned, is used.

Not only are the 'star' keys freely available, but you can easily open them without a key at all.

Comment

Thanks

Thank's for that guys, I have just gone out and secured the bottom half of the door, never thought about that. I like the idea of another lock but will have to hunt around for someone to fit it at not extortionate garage prices.
                    Rios, if I can get to Kingsbury Park on the Sunday(am working Fri and Sat) would you still be up for fitting me a switch? I'll send you a PM with my number
                    Lin
                    Last edited by liljo; 15-02-2011, 20:20.
                    :sunshine:

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X