Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mounting a solar panel on demountable roof

Hi Ant,

I have just bought a Daihatsu with a Romahome demountable. I want to fit a solar panel on the roof - I have a 100w Panel but it may be too big physically to fit so may come down to 80w. I run this through a controller to charge the leisure battery. When on the move van charges battery in usual way. This setup allows us to use a small Waco compressor fridge. I use LEDs for lighting so the van is self sufficient.

In the past i have used a combination of short self tapper bolts and a Polyurethane based sealant Geocell Works PU to secure the Solar Panel to the roof. This was on old vans most on their last legs with tin worm. The plan is to keep this van for a lot longer (or at least the pod) so I want to anchor the panel without damaging the roof. Advice please.
    Jon

Hi Jon.
    It all depends on the age of the pod, the last ones made ( The Freespirit), had a double skin that allowed you to fix into the outer skin with sealant. The early pods had a single skin and anything fixed to it appeared on the inside! You can nut and bolt these but you'll need to address the condensation that will form on the fixings.
    Ant

Comment

Thank you Ant - at 17 years old it is an older one - so I think nut bolt and spreader - thin piece of marine ply and sealant over exposed bolt inside to reduce condensation.
      Jon

Comment

Many are simply glued on with a PU adhesive nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by Traveller26 View Post
          Many are simply glued on with a PU adhesive nowadays.
          I am a great fan of Geocell Works PU sticks any time anywhere.

Most / best stuck bit a number plate. We picked up a caravan on a very wet day no screws ets (I';ds forgotten them) Stuck the number plate onto a still damp caravan. 2 years later sold the caravan and had a terrific job to remove the number plate.

I may just give stick alone a go.

Jon

Comment

Mine's glued to the (very very clean) roof, wiped with Iso Propyl Alchohol, or similar, then glued in place with Sikaflex.
            3 yrs now, as new

BTW my roof is GRP

Comment

I would be inclined to use a good method that didn't involve piercing the shell.

Waters a bu99er and will eventually fond a way in !

Stiks Anything by evostick works a treat.

Comment