X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMEV 1000 Electronic Ignition

Hi Ant,

The ignition on both the hob and fridge in our 2006 Outlook has packed in. I've checked the fuse - it's OK, but there isn't any current flow across the fuse when the hob ignition switch is depressed.

I've not got much access to the wiring and haven't found the coil which provides the spark voltage. I'd be grateful for any suggestions about fault finding.

With thanks
    Last edited by Bald Eagle; 06-12-2009, 08:28.
    Graham too

Hi Graham2.
    If both sparkers have failed it's almost certainly a feed problem, if you've checked the fuse and it's clean and sound I would suspect the actual fuse box feed. It has a soldered bar joining the input terminals together, it's not uncommon to have that bar fail. If you leave the fridge spaker on and then wiggle the bar and bottom terminals you my find it starts sparking. Also you can try pulling the thin yellow wire from the top terminal and putting it into contact with one of the other fuse terminals that you know are working, that will at least tell you the sparkers work and it is indeed a feed problem.
    Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant

Don't know what we'd do without you. I'll try wiggling things about and see what happens!

Got to head up north into the snow() today so old-fashioned matches will have to do until I get it sorted.

Thanks again
      Graham too

Comment

Further developments after wiggling

Morning Ant

I've tested the continuity along the bottom rail of the fuse box, which is fine up to and including the 5 amp fuse for the igniter. Tried bridging across as you suggested with the fridge igniter switch on - nothing. Decided to test the 12v circuit to the fridge and both igniters work with the engine running!

Have now gone way beyond my comfort zone. Any further suggestions will be gratefully received.

With thanks
        Graham too

Comment

Hi Graham.
          Have you got the Zig panel switched to the cararavan battery? and the sparker only works when the engine is running because the 2nd battery is in fact flat? Try plugging the van into the mains and switching the charger on. If the sparker works you need to sort the 2nd battery. Also switch the Zig to car and try the sparker then. It sounds like something silly is going on rather than anything terminal!
          Thanks
          Ant

Comment

Trying not to be silly

Hi Ant,

Lights and pump work from second battery so assume it is OK. Spark ignition does not work when zig panel is switched to 'car' and nor do the lights and pump (should they?). Also there is a 0 reading for the van battery voltage on the zig panel when switched to 'car'. That can't be right can it? The van has been run in the last few days and the battery is fine.

The leisure battery shows at 12+ volts.

Lots of symptoms but I've no clue about the problem, sorry. I'm taking up a lot of your time for which I'm immensely grateful.

Graham
            Graham too

Comment

Hi Graham.
              I think your Zig panel is not wired the right way round ( You're not the first). It sound like the battery switch on the Zig is showing you the condition of the vehicle battery when switched to caravan and vice versa. The sparker is not cotrolled via the zig panel so when the engine runs the caravan battery gets a charge and the sparker works. There are two fuses in line comming from the positive of the caravan battery, One is from the charger (mains) the other goes to the zig panel. Check this one. Or you could run the vehicle and switch the zig to car and see if it gives a reading. If not the inline fuse is blown or the fuse under the bonnet to the right of the battery clipped to the fuse box ( it has a black rubber cover on it). If the under bonnet fuse has blown you've not been charging the secondary battery and is therefore probably dead now.

If you want to remedy the Zig switches you just need to remove the panel ( 4 screws) and swap the two wires over on the back of the switch.

If the battery ( 2nd) is flat you'll need to charge it for at least 24 hrs to get it back to life.
              Ant

Comment

Thanks again Ant,

I put a voltmeter across the leisure battery and it was reading more than 12v so I assume that means it is OK but I'll check all the other things you have suggested. Not enough hours of daylight up here - now where did I leave that torch?

Cheers

Graham
                Graham too

Comment

Graham.
                  The battery may be fine but just isolated from the zig panel due to the blown fuse in line. While checking the fuse in daylight, just follow the negative lead from the battery and check it's still bolted to the chassis under the carpet, I have had a few that have come apart which can make the tracing of faults a bit confusing.
                  Ant

Comment

Probing results

Thanks for your handy hints Ant.

I've checked the inline fuses from the +ve of the leisure battery - both OK.

All the fuses in the little box by the leisure battery are OK and there is continuity along the bottom rail up to and including the 5 amp fuse for the fridge and hob igniter (the hot water and hot air system fuses are separately connected from the others).

The leisure battery seems to have a full charge (more than 12v on the voltmeter)

When connected to the mains, the Zig panel shows the leisure battery getting charged but the van battery still reads 0v and the igniters do not work.

The igniters DO work when the engine is running.

I've run out of signs and symptoms now, Ant, and am at a loss where I should next stick the multimeter probes!

Thanks for your time and all the help.

Best wishes
                    Graham
                    Graham too

Comment

Hi Graham.
                      You can put your metres away now, the problem you have is the fuse under the bonnet next to the battery, it's an in line blade fuse with a black waterproof cover clipped to the side of the black plastic fuse box. By removing this fuse on a vehicle I have here I can replicate your problem, so I suspect your fuse has blown.
                      Thanks
                      Ant

Comment

I can agree with Ant.

We had a problem with this fuse - not blowing - but corrosion (caused by fumes from the battery). We had to replace the fuseholder and I fitted it in the fuse box on top of the wing, hopefully protecting it from corrosion.

Comment

Thanks Peter and Ant, I'll get onto it once it's warm enough to take the woolly mittens off!

Graham
                          Last edited by Bald Eagle; 19-12-2009, 11:20.
                          Graham too

Comment

Originally posted by Graham2 View Post
                            Thanks Peter and Ant, I'll get onto it once it's warm enough to take the woolly mittens off!

Graham

Hi Graham

Your signature made me laugh.

Graham One
                            Graham
                            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks Guys, blown fuse - just never looked at that particular one. Ant, thank you so much for taking the trouble to test out the problem in one of your vans and find the solution.

The fuse/holder doesn't seem corroded at all so I'll leave the holder where it is for the moment, Peter and hope the new fuse lasts another three years.

It's just stopped snowing so I might risk a trip to the motor factors/garage. Or maybe not - it's now snowing again!

However in my limited experience something usually causes fuses to blow so I'll have to hope the new fuse (when I get it) lasts!

In the meantime cheers again

Graham
                              Last edited by Bald Eagle; 19-12-2009, 14:59.
                              Graham too

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X