Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fridge

hi ant
    have eletrolux fridge gas and 12v .last year you said it is possible to have mains fitted if the parts can be found . it seems fridge needs carbon build up sorted . a local mobile servicer said he would charge £85 for this as fridge needs to come out . what i am wondering is are you able to find parts to convert to mains and service fridge for me? if so what is the rough cost ? if not is £85 reasonable for me to have the carbon problem sorted locally ?
    thanks for any help .
    beetle .

Hi Beetle.
    The only part I can't get is the control knob for the Rancho thermostat. This means you can only set the thermostat where you think it might work best and leave it fixed behind the fridge. The knob normally comes through the back of the fridge and is adjustable inside the fridge. The last one I did ( a few years ago now) was £150 which included the mains feed which needed to come to an isolation switch from the other side of the van. I'm sure some kind of mains conversion could still be done, if you want me to look at it for you I'm now taking workshop bookings for the end of May. As for paying £85 to have the soot removed from the fridge burner, everyone is trying to earn a living and your local mobile man has to cover the cost of his fuel as well as his time. The job is less than half an hours work but if you're happy to get it done without having to travel ( using up your own fuel) and it gets you off on another season £85 might be worth it.
    Ant

Comment

hi ant
      i followed you instructions elsewhere on how to light if spiders might be the problem .so far it has worked ok .the flame is nice and blue .the mobile man has not seen the flame so i think he is presuming it is carbon . either way at some stage the fridge may need sorting and it would be nice if mains could be fitted . as it can be lit the spider-way i will soldier on for now and keep in mind your information on the mains job in case i need to give that a go . thanks a lot ant it really helps to have something to go on .
      beetle .

Comment

Hi Beetle!

Just another take on this. In my little campervan I had only had a two way fridge, gas and 12v. Never used the 12v, but it worked superbly on gas. As that was all I had, that had to do as I didn't have the cash for either a conversion or replacement. However, once chilled to a low temperature with ice blocks (the sort you have for a freezer box - which I would pack around the food from home to where I was going) I found that most of the gas usage occurs to cool it down to the temp you've set it to. From there on, mine used a tiny amount to keep it to the temperature. So cooling it down with ice blocks and any frozen food (for the next day, etc) meant it was already cold and used very little gas, yet worked well.

I had a converted 3-way installed in my caravan, but it doesn't seem half as efficient on electric as it is on gas, is an absolute pain to switch over from one to the other - and a lot of other ppl have found the same thing!

So my advice (for what it's worth) is to see if you can get along with what you've got before going to a lot of expense. You can buy a lot of gas with what it costs to get them to run on electric.

Comment

£85 is reasonable, you've got 1/2 hr work at least and travel time, if its not been cleaned out recently then you will have a build up and a risk of carbon monoxide unless serviced correctly, you can have a nice flame and still have carbon build up... I always say "better safe than sorry" all my gas appliances are checked yearly for build up.
          A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

thanks kipsy
            i will keep all in mind - and as you say £85 i not much for peace .
            beetle .

Comment

thanks jayjay
              good info- i will do what you said .a very helpful forum this is .
              beetle .

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
              Working...
              X