speed limet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speed limet

Hi Ant, please can you help I have a R20, my son has Citroen blingo and has been done for speeding at 70mph on the motor way, his been told the its a Light Goods Vehicle and can only do 60mph, my R20 tax class is also Light Goods Vehicle. My son has contacted Citroen and they are miffed by it.
    Thanks

According to the government website a motorhome or motor caravan, no more than 3.05 tonnes can do 70 on a motorway or dual carriageway, surely that is what you have but it doesn't help your son. Or does it depend on what the log book says?

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Comment

it depends on what the registration document says. take a few pictures of you camper and send it in to the dvlc and ask them to change it to motor caravan
      I have just done it for mine

Kyran

Comment

Originally posted by kyran View Post
        it depends on what the registration document says. take a few pictures of you camper and send it in to the dvlc and ask them to change it to motor caravan
        I have just done it for mine

Kyran
        Thanks for that,

Comment

"Cars, motorcycles, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles" covers all Berlingo models. Even though a Berlingo van is classed as LGV, it is a car derived van so is allowed to do 70 mph on a motorway - unless he was towing? Or was it a "managed motorway" with a lower limit in force at the time?

Comment

Nothing to do with this really, but I frequently drove a hearse. Hearses were licenced as heavy goods vehicles and were taxed by weight!
            At that time good Heavy goods vehicles were limited to 30 mph, but that Austin Sheerline with its 3 litre engine was capable of 100 mph.
            On duties other than actual funerals it was often used for long distances. Travelling at normal traffic speeds on dual carriageways etc. I often wondered whether I could be "booked".
            I suppose very few Police Officers realised it was a "Goods" vehicle/ And surely the same will apply to Motorhomes? And speed problems will only be followed up by the Police via DVLA looking for validity of driver licence etc. after blatant speeding?
            Jim.
            Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

I had heard the government has done one of those sneaky changes - interpretation - order in council whatever. So I took a look at the RAC website - updated 25th April 2017!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/k.../speed-limits/

Note it is the redefinition of car derived vans - they give the example that the Transit Connect is not rated as a car derived van, I think a Berlingo would fall in the same category. That means my little Daihatsu falls in the same group! Sad but as always Her Maj's government have us bu the ***** & ******* :blank:

Safest thing seems to be stick at 60 or you are liable to get into a debate.

On the Gvt website (Pauline's post) it is not as clear but below the table of speed limits is this paragraph
              Vans, car-derived vans and dual-purpose vehicles
              Most vans:

have a lower speed limit than cars
              must follow the speed limits for goods vehicles of the same weight
              Vehicles under 2 tonnes laden (loaded) weight may qualify as a ‘car-derived van’ or ‘dual-purpose vehicle’. These vehicles have the same speed limits as cars.

Now that is as clear as mud - but no doubt helps generate a lot of speeding fines!
              Jon
              Last edited by kernowjon; 12-05-2017, 08:08 PM.
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

As I understand it, as explained by a man at the now closed LVLO where we used to register new vehicles, It has to be said he was a bit confused too but after advice gave me this.

Tax glass PLG up to 3050Kg same as car
                Tax class LGV up to 3050Kg body type Car derived van 60mph
                Tax class LGV up to 3050Kg Body type Motor Caravan 70mph.

We went to a great deal of trouble to change the registration documents to get the body type changed to Motor Caravan before they were 1st registered, sometimes it worked, sometimes the documents just got rejected, sometimes they got changed back to van! It was a complete nightmare and a lottery as to how each vehicle was actually registered.

The key thing is to have the body type as Motor Caravan, if you haven't you can apply to DVLA with pictures and a letter from Romahome to get it changed, Romahome have a standard letter that just needs the vehicle details adding to it.
                Ant

Comment

R20 taxation class

Hi, Thanks to everyone, think I`d better stick to the lower limits ! It doesn`t look as though I`d save anything tax wise by changing to a motor caravan. Chris.

Comment

Maybe it's me but doesn't it all seem rather strange?

You could have the same vehicle, if it's called a motor caravan on the registration document it can go 70 if not it can only go 60 ...

Why? It's the same van!

Comment

More taxation confusion

Just to confuse the issue, a few years ago I took up with the DVLA as was to get a few discrepancies sorted on my registration book for my Romahome R30. Several weeks were spent on sending photos and correcting fresh errors they made each time. In the end I gave up. My registration book now reads-

Body type:- Motor Caravan
                      Taxation Class:- Light Goods Vehicle
                      Seating:- 3 (in actual fact it has 4 belted seats)

In the end you just have to give up, life is too short to spend it messing about with details for people who have no concept of what they are talking about. Graham (and Carole)
                      Last edited by GeeCee; 17-06-2017, 03:05 PM. Reason: taking out Private Light Goods

Comment

The final solution?

Further to the above, I have printed up a copy of the National Speed Limits in which it gives the speed limits for:-

Motorhomes or motorcaravans(not more than 3.05 tonnes maximum unladen weight Single carriageway 50mph
                        Dual carriageway 70mph
                        Motorway 70mph

This section I have circled in red and am keeping the list in my glove pocket ready to do battle if stopped. Graham (and Carole)

Comment

Originally posted by Pauline View Post
                          Maybe it's me but doesn't it all seem rather strange?

You could have the same vehicle, if it's called a motor caravan on the registration document it can go 70 if not it can only go 60 ...

Why? It's the same van!
                          Pauline, Cynically - because this allows the government to reap a large amount of revenue from the unsuspecting.
                          CeeGee because your V5 says Motor Caravan you are OK. If my little Daihatsu exceeds 60 mph (FLAGS FLY) I get nicked as it is a pick-up.

Jon
                          Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

is it a Light goods vehicle - 60 or a motorhome - 70.
                            i considered getting mine changed to a motorhome for this reason as i can't demount now without major damage but i CBA.
                            Bit harsh really though isn't it.

in other news my partner said she loved the speed awareness course she did and everyone should do it. so not all lost.

Comment

Originally posted by GeeCee View Post
                              Just to confuse the issue, a few years ago I took up with the DVLA as was to get a few discrepancies sorted on my registration book for my Romahome R30. Several weeks were spent on sending photos and correcting fresh errors they made each time. In the end I gave up. My registration book now reads-

Body type:- Motor Caravan
                              Taxation Class:- Light Goods Vehicle
                              Seating:- 3 (in actual fact it has 4 belted seats)

In the end you just have to give up, life is too short to spend it messing about with details for people who have no concept of what they are talking about. Graham (and Carole)
                              Finally got round to checking ours - it says the same except it does say 4 seats!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X