Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading leisure battery

Ant,

I would like to upgrade my 85AH leisure battery as the Eberspacher is draining my present one too fast.
    The dimensions of the battery are 250x165x190mm.
    Do you know if there is a battery,with perhaps 100/110AH which would fit in the space below the seat.

Regards,

Jim Connachan

Hi Jim.
    After some research, there doesn't seem to be a 100/110 amp hr battery with the perfect dimensions. I think the only thing you can research further is a sealed for life battery so you can discard the battery box giving you the max space. I'm not sure how old your current battery is but an 85amp hr should be fine. I suspect if the battery is fairly old ( older than 2 years) it is not in fact a true 85 amp/hr. The measuring of batteries ( output capacities) was standardised last year and many older batteries claiming to be 85amp/hr were in fact only 40amp/hr when measured under the new system. I suspect if you buy a new ( not old stock) 85-ish amp/hr battery your problems might not be so obvious.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Jim

I have changed my standard leisure battery for a higher capacity one by making a new battery box from plywood and fibreglass. It also allows you to reposition it slightly so that you can get at the space behind the seat easier.

Comment

Upgrading leisure battery.

Ant,

Many thanks for comprehensive reply. My battery is 3 years old and in light of what you say it probably isn't an 85Ah one.
        Looks like I may have to,either increase the battery box as suggested by Peter Holden, or buy a new 85Ah battery.

Regards,

Jim Connachan

Comment

or you could increase the space and buy a new 110 or actually think they are 115 now, then you will have loads of battery life
          A dog is for life, for loving and forever, and x3 is even better :)

Comment

Upgrading battery

I have just put in a new 100 amp sealed for life Elecsol battery that fits the battery box perfectly. It is the correct height, Positive and Negative posts are in the same position as the standard battery, and they have a swing-over plastic shield for the top of each post. I don't know how good this make of battery is but reports rate it highly. Graham

Comment

Graham many thanks for your reply.
              Could you possibly tell me the type/part number for the battery and,if possible, where you bought it.

Regards,

Jim Connachan

Comment

!00 amp battry to fit Berlingo Hylo

Have a look on the net at Caravan & Leisure Technology. The battery is an Elecsol 100 amp and I believe their model number is 4004. The cost including next day delivery is £106. It is a simple replacement, nothing to alter or move. Good luck. Graham

Comment

Graham

Many thanks I will order one today.

Jim Connachan

Comment

E

Graham,

I made a final check today befor ordering the Elecsol 100ah battery and I found that the +ve and -ve posts are the opposite of mine(Duo Outlook 2008).
                    The cables to the posts do not have sufficient length to connect to the battery.
                    I note from your post that you said that the posts were in the same position as the previous battery. My positive post is to the middle of the van. Where is yours?

JIm Connachan.

Comment

Battery posts wrong side?

Hi! Jim
                      With my old battery fitted in the Romahome (2008 HyLo) and the battery post side nearest the front of the vehicle the +ve post was nearest the centre of the vehicle. It is exactly the same with the new Elecsol battery. The leads from the Romahome do exit the floor from the nearside but they still reach. If yours are too short you can extend them but carefully. I don't wish to teach you to suck eggs but you are dealing with high amperage. What I would do is buy some cable of the same capacity, expose the wire both ends and then twist the wire to join the new cable and then firmly solder the new cable to the old. Finally I would slide a length, maybe one foot, of something like garden hose over the cable so it is protected. Then refit the battery clamp on the end of the cable.
                      I hope this helps, it is worth it to get a decent battery, with a 5 year guarantee as well!
                      Graham

Comment

Graham,
                        Sorry I did not reply promptly but I went to see our local auto electrician and he advised against extending the leads.
                        I have decided to fit a Numax XV 86Ah dual purpose battery which should take care of the heavy starting load of the diesel heater.

Regards,

Jim Connachan

Comment

Well done Jim and the new battery-and my Pullman table is now dual purpose

Hi! Jim, Glad you sorted it out in the end. Ref. the battery posts being reversed compared to mine, it seems to be quite normal for what appear to be identical motor-homes to have differences under the skin. I guess that is due to comparatively small production. Anyway, good luck, we'd like to meet you at the Roma AGM or Moreton with the Small Motor Home Group. We'll be there.
                          Incidentally, I've sorted out the table, now my Pullman table is both an inside model and an outside model. Graham and Carole

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X