Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jump Starters

Hi Ant have you any views on Jump Starters as I was wondering which was the
    best of the reasonable priced ones ? I was thinking in terms of £50 to £60 or thereabouts ?
    Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

Originally posted by gunerdoo View Post
    Hi Ant have you any views on Jump Starters as I was wondering which was the
    best of the reasonable priced ones ? I was thinking in terms of £50 to £60 or thereabouts ?
    Sorry to hijack this thread , but I recently got one for my van at about £35 .. look for offers on the internet, for Tesco/Sainsbury's etc ... mine has cigarette lighter sockets too so I can run stuff from it as well.
    I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
    http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Gunerdoo.
      I'm afraid I have little experience of jump starters on the retail market ( Mine has wheels and cost over £400 !). I think go for the best cranking figures and the heaviest leads, diesels especially require quite a bit of turning over and if the leads are too thin they just get hot and the engine is not turned over fast enough to start. If you ever get a jump start from another vehicle remember to turn your lights on before trying to start the vehicle. I know that sounds a bit odd but it stops the doner vehicles alternator from spiking your vehicles "ecu" ( brains) with a damaging voltage.
      Ant

Comment

May I add to Ant's as-usual great advice - if time allows, any of these packs, connected across the battery and just left while you have a brew-up can work wonders.

Bear in mind that a cold diesel engine can take probably 600 amps to turn over from the battery - and if that current needs to come from the starter pack, it is trying to come through those thin serated teeth on the pack connectors.

Also these packs tend to only contain about an 18 Ah battery, otherwise they wouldn't be portable - so an instant start is a lot to ask from them.

Much better to let the starter pack just build up the charge in the vehicle battery - I always find half an hour usually does the trick.

Mike

Comment

On the same subject, I recommend the Metro 'Jump Start'. I think I bought mine from Towsure but this website currently has them on offer for only 99p (Metro Jump Start HG052).

It connects the donor vehicle to the dead one via the lighter, or accessory sockets, which can be much easier than a bonnets-up connection. Although it is called Jump Start, it doesn't really do that - it charges the flat battery slowly.

The big advantage of one of these to the campervanner is that you can use your leisure battery for an emergency start. A donor vehicle isn't necessary. As most people will know, the leisure battery is not designed for jump starting. It delivers long, slow power rather than a big jolt. But this is exactly what this device is designed for.

Connect your leisure battery accessory socket (or use a trailing socket), to your vehicle accessory socket via the Jump Start. Go away and have a cup of tea, or two if the battery is really flat, and your main battery will have been topped up from the leisure battery.

Then take the vehicle for a good drive to top-up the leisure battery.

Comment

Thanks

A sincere Thank You to you all for some good advice and All is taken onboard.
            That was a suprise one from Ant to switch ones lights on before Jump Start.
            That is something one can hardly forget with it being the opposite to what one
            would do. Once Again Thanks to All.
            Gunerdoo Do It Tomorrow ?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X