I'm in hot water!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in hot water!

Had my C15 romahome for less than a week, and it seems I've been sold a pup. Opened radiator cap to discover low water level and brown paste cappuccino crud etc all over cap and in water.
    kill me now!
    rick

Does sound like oil in the coolant , i.e. blown head gasket .....
    Last edited by Blackshuck; 26-09-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rickyroma View Post
      Had my C15 romahome for less than a week, and it seems I've been sold a pup. Opened radiator cap to discover low water level and brown paste cappuccino crud etc all over cap and in water.
      kill me now!
      rick
      Oh no! Hopefully something that can be fixed.

Comment

The guy said it's k seal or something. Think he's full of bs!
        only had it 3 days fgs. Surely there's sale of goods act or something?!

Comment

The guy said it's k seal or something. Think he's full of bs!
          only had it 3 days fgs. Surely there's sale of goods act or something?!
          Not sure if there is any come back on private sales if it was a dealer you might.

Comment

I'm sorry to read about your problems. The problem with private sales of vehicles is that they are 'sold as seen', something to be born in mind when buying an old vehicle.
            Carpe diem!

Comment

Hi Rickyroma.
              Did the engine overheat? the level in the radiator where the header tank is on the side of the radiator is nearly always quite low, certainly lower than you expect normally. It's not unusual to fill/top it up only to find the next day after using the van the level is back down again, the important thing is to establish if it keeps going down or whether it settles at one point. If it continues to go down you need to find out where its going, if not that's where it's normal level is ( I found all C15's had different levels as normal). The XUD engine will overheat very quickly if the head gasket has blown and it will be very obvious that something is not right, if the van seems ok it may just be in need of a new water pump radiator or water hose. Put a clean bit of cardboard under the van and leave it running until you hear the fans cut in ( that also checks that they do cut in!), then look under the van to see if anything has dripped onto the card.

C15 water retention is always a bit of an issue, to find one with a "stop leak" substance in it isn't that unusual so don't panic yet.
              Ant

Comment

Oil in the water creates a white "mayonnaise" like substance to form. if the gunk in the radiator is brown and thick then it could well be some sort of stop leak/radweld instead. Follows Ant's very sound advice above and don't panic!
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Oh no! I hope it's what Ant says and really nothing to worry about.

Even if you have to have some bits replaced at a garage and have to spend a bit of money repairing it, you'll still have a great little campervan for your travels!

The only way to get your money back (if the seller won't agree to take it back and refund your money) is through the small claims court. Take lots of photos, starting now, just in case you need them later. Keep all your receipts, and a copy of the original advert... I hope you can sort it though, and don't have to go down that route.

Comment

Thanks so much guys n gals for taking the time to reply and advise etc.
                    I'll try these suggestions asap. Just very depressed as I've only just purchased it.
                    looking more like the dreaded hg opened cap today to find water down a bit and creamy film on water.
                    no idea if it's drastically overheating, no temp gauges and I'm not sure what to gauge engine heat with. Not sure what's normal on these

Comment

Thanks so much guys n gals for taking the time to reply and advise etc.
                      I'll try these suggestions asap. Just very depressed as I've only just purchased it.
                      looking more like the dreaded hg opened cap today to find water down a bit and creamy film on water.
                      no idea if it's drastically overheating, no temp gauges and I'm not sure what to gauge engine heat with. Not sure what's normal on these
                      If I'm not mistaken, there should be a dashboard light to show overheating. If it dosn't illuminate with the ignition just turned on (engine not started) then the bulb could be blown.

Panda
                      These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

Dip the oil and look at the state of the engine oil, if it's also white and creamy you've got a head gasket problem. some of the stop leak products leave a sludge so just seeing that in the water is not necessarily and indication that the gasket has blown. You wont be the first to jump to that conclusion on a C15. You need to hear the fans running, if they don't work the engine will get too hot and lose water from the cap, I would top up the water and run the engine until the fans kick in, i9f they don't and you see water coming from the cap switch off, let it cool, and get the fans sorted ( probably the switch on the radiator needs replacing which is a minimal cost job).
                        Ant

Comment

My Peugeot Partner had oil in the radiator top up tank when I got it and I suspected a head gasket. I was happy with that, and managed to get it at a bargain price because the previous owner thought it WAS a head gasket. However, when I drove it there was no overheating or water loss, just mucky black oily mess in the header tank. Not salad cream.

The problem turned out to be the little heater tank hing which fits between the oil filter and the engine block. It's a common problem with these engines. When it fails, it allows oil into the cooling system because the oil pressure is usually over fifty lbs. and the water pressure is typically around 7 lbs. so the oil leaks into the water rather than the other way round.

A new unit and a filter cost me about £30 (Ebay) and took about half an hour to fit. The main problem being getting the oil out of the cooling system. (There was no water in the oil). I drained it and flushed it through, but there was still oil in the header tank, so I poured a bottle of washing up liquid into the filler and ran the engine for a bit. Then drained it and flushed it through again.

That was in January and there are still traces of oil in the system, but I've not had any problems with the cooling system since fixing it. I've been towing a caravan so it's been working hard. It will need another drain, flush and refill before the winter, not forgetting a good dose of anti freeze before the winter sets in, but it was an easy fix.

I posted it in the "Cars and light vans" thread under "Howdy Partner" when I did the job so maybe more info there.

Comment

Here's a direct link to Myke's post that he mentions "Howdy Partner": https://community.smallmotorhome.co....-howdy-partner

Comment

Yet again. Thanks for all your replies. V helpful.
                              I ran it for 30 minutes yesterday and fans never cut in once. Didn't get hot quickly really, but noticed a thin jet of spray from the top right radiator onto the battery, when I revved a bit.
                              so that could explain the gunk in tank if he's tried to seal radiator. Radiator isn't in best of shape tbh, bottom right is rusty and a bit corroded at first glance.
                              also seen a wire or something that seems disconnected from somewhere. Wonder if it's something to do with fans or thermostat ? God knows!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X