Pod construction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pod construction

Ant, on the Calling Demountable Pod Owners there have been some queries about the difference between the construction of single skin "eggshell" pods and the double skin pods. Could you give a brief description of the 2 types and the difference between them.
    Also do you understand the numbering system as stamped on the door frame.
    Thank you very much in anticipation.
    Jon

Hi Jon.
    The egg shell pods were the first pods designed to fit the 360cc Honda acty pick-up, the pod was a single skin of grp with a flock sprayed interior lining and fixed windows. The egg shell was built up to 1986, 1987 saw the 500cc Honda and the Bedford rascal, the pod became double skinned where the outer skin had a high sheen gelcoat finish a thin insulating expanded foam layer then an internal grp mat layer trimmed with polyprop' trimmed 3 ply and hardboard. The windows opened, early ones being Contra windows becoming Polyplastic/Parapress on later models. Mark V pods has extra layers of polystyrene between the inner grp and the trim panels.
    The numbers usually gave the build number followed by the year (012387) 123rd van in 1987. Early numbers were on a stamped panel under the sink later ones had the number stamped above the top hinge on the door frame.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Hi Ant, Thank you for that - I guess a few of us will be crawling with torches into the cupboard under the sink looking for numbers.
      Jon

Comment

The early numbers were obvious, you wont need to search the plate was riveted in full view. The later numbers relied on the door and frame not being changed and they often were after rear end damage to the door.
        Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant - that stopped me from emptying the cupboard and searching - on my door frame is a 3 figure number - as all the rivetts holding the hinges seem to be the same and there are no extra holes in the frame I don't think the door hinges have been changed or moved.
          On a late model pod (type 5) double skin, external gas locker, water tank. A member reports no numbers - as you said maybe there has been damage.
          Jon

Comment

It is worth remembering that the very first pods fitted to the Honda Accty 360 were not demountable. There was no font to them but a rubber seal on the edge that fitted up against the pickup cab.

The photo shows a Jiffy pickup truck with an original pod grafted onto it. I built this in 1987. The pod was very "flexible" when removed from the Honda.

Peter
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Peter, so how old is that Pod? I have some Island Plastics marketting material from 1980 cover letter and leaflet by that date the pod had a Luton Front and was demountable. So from who had they taken over production? Was yours a Stimson?
              Out of interest what is the truck it is mounted on? - I like the looks of it.
              Jon

Comment

Mine was designed to fit a dihatsu and i have the blanking plate produced by Island Plastics with the pod that fitted into the rubber seal and filled in the hole in the front.

Comment

You have heard of false memory, when people convince themselves that they remember something that didn't really happen or that the facts are not exactly as they remember them.
                  This is common in your childhood memories and the passage of time and telling them over and over again embellishes them.

Well...............I have been lying all along (well for 7 years now....!

When i bought our Pod off of Ant back in 2010 it was bolted to a trailer ( i joked that it was a caravan)
                  I removed the blanking plate off of my pod and put it away safely in the rafters off a barn never to look at it again, and all along knew that it had Diahatsu molded into it.

I got it down today to photograph and post the pictures on here and you could have knocked me down with a feather ! ! !

Withing the molding it clearly says...........................HONDA.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Our Pod as a Caravan ! and with the Blanking Plate fitted.

Looking at these i now remember we had a foot operated water pump (as can be seen in the RH corner of the base of the sink unit ) and the original curtains (i know thiis as i had two pods with the same curtains !)
                    Attached Files

Comment

The pod came from I think a 1978 Honda pickup but it could have been earler. You could guess the age of the Honda. It had a 360cc engine. Unfortunately I never to any photos

Comment