Hook up cable

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hook up cable

Any tips as to how to easily connect and disconnect the hook up cable from adaptor part when charging at home ? I find it very stiff, and I can't pull the two ends free whilst also holding the spring hook up.
    Is it ok to remove the spring ?
    Or is there any safe way to lubricate the two parts so they come apart more easily?
    I also have trouble wiggling it on and off the hook up point on site.
    I am a solo camper and would welcome any tips .

Hello 4wheels1 and welcome to the site

We have a similar problem with ours and my husband smeared vaseline round the two ends which made it a little easier but sometimes they are just a tight fit

Comment

If vaseline doesn't help enough you might try some rolled up medium grade wet'n'dry inside the socket. Roll it round a stick or long bolt to get a bit firmer pressure. (would be best if you can wipe as much vaseline of first)

Mine had never been used in many years and had a coating of white powdery corrosion. Not very thick and it was soft and easy enough to rub away but just a little build up can clog and jam the pins.

Another problem can be actually getting a dead straight pull, or push on the plug. I used to have one that was angled at 45 degrees so as not to stick out so much. Very hard to pull out straight which meant it strained the seal between the socket and the van wall.

I resorted to using the plastic rings from 4 packs of beer. Get two lots of four rings. (the easy bit ) For added strength fold them in half to make two figure 8's and slide one doubled up circle of each of the figure 8's onto the plug barrel before inserting into the socket. Leave the other double circle of the figure 8's dangling out on left and right at opposite sides to each other.. Hopefully they will slide up the barrel of the plug and be stopped when they meet the flange where the plug barrel gets bigger.

You can the fold the rings back (away from the socket) to form two handles and use them to get a straight even pull on the plug, either one or two handed. If they aren't tight around the barrel of the plug, just twissle them round a couple of times till they are.

You could probably knock up something neater and more permanent out of baler twine or locking wire with loops or pull rings at one end. The limiting factor being that whatever slides over the barrel mustn't stop the pins going far enough into the socket.

Doesn't help in plugging in but I think it's unplugging which puts the most stress on the seal.

Harder to explain than do but I hope you get what I mean. Very effective for anyone who struggles with grip or strength.
      Last edited by Dapple; 13-01-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

If you are talking about one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEMLOH-ML25...DS437Q6EBFQXC1

and the problem is keeping the lid on the female end of the cable open, pull lid lid away from the plug so it is disengaged and slide a thin piece of wood underneath (across) close to the hinge so it does stay disengaged and you can use then both hands fully, without holding the springloaded lid..

Comment

Hello and Welcome I find it's just a knack you gain, I hold the flap up with a thumb and just pull.

Comment

Thats what I do...

However, I got the impression that that thumb is needed for a better grip.....so a thumbsubstitute might help..

A second cable for at home could also be an option...

Comment

Originally posted by 4wheels1 View Post
              Any tips as to how to easily connect and disconnect the hook up cable from adaptor part when charging at home ? I find it very stiff, and I can't pull the two ends free whilst also holding the spring hook up.
              Is it ok to remove the spring ?
              Or is there any safe way to lubricate the two parts so they come apart more easily?
              I also have trouble wiggling it on and off the hook up point on site.
              I am a solo camper and would welcome any tips .
              Some useful advice has already been given but sometimes the slots the pins slide into get out of line through use and the easiest cure is to buy another ceeform end and change the worn one, if you can or know someone who can change a plug you'll be fine changing the blue ceeform end on the cable.
              Ant

Comment

I always use wd40, works a treat

Comment

WD40, I use it on 3 phase (415v) plugs at work when they get difficult to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by Dapple View Post
                    If vaseline doesn't help enough you might try some rolled up medium grade wet'n'dry inside the socket. Roll it round a stick or long bolt to get a bit firmer pressure. (would be best if you can wipe as much vaseline of first)

Mine had never been used in many years and had a coating of white powdery corrosion. Not very thick and it was soft and easy enough to rub away but just a little build up can clog and jam the pins.

Another problem can be actually getting a dead straight pull, or push on the plug. I used to have one that was angled at 45 degrees so as not to stick out so much. Very hard to pull out straight which meant it strained the seal between the socket and the van wall.

I resorted to using the plastic rings from 4 packs of beer. Get two lots of four rings. (the easy bit ) For added strength fold them in half to make two figure 8's and slide one doubled up circle of each of the figure 8's onto the plug barrel before inserting into the socket. Leave the other double circle of the figure 8's dangling out on left and right at opposite sides to each other.. Hopefully they will slide up the barrel of the plug and be stopped when they meet the flange where the plug barrel gets bigger.

You can the fold the rings back (away from the socket) to form two handles and use them to get a straight even pull on the plug, either one or two handed. If they aren't tight around the barrel of the plug, just twissle them round a couple of times till they are.

You could probably knock up something neater and more permanent out of baler twine or locking wire with loops or pull rings at one end. The limiting factor being that whatever slides over the barrel mustn't stop the pins going far enough into the socket.

Doesn't help in plugging in but I think it's unplugging which puts the most stress on the seal.

Harder to explain than do but I hope you get what I mean. Very effective for anyone who struggles with grip or strength.
                    How on earth can you do all that when you have just drunk 8 cans of beer? You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.
                    suivez l'aventure

Comment

Easy

non-alcoholic-beer.jpg

0.0 percent alcohol....

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post

How on earth can you do all that when you have just drunk 8 cans of beer? You're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

It was either that or reach for a crowbar.

Comment

I've found that silicone spray works better in these situations than WD40 or vaseline. Used to spray it on the awning rail of my big caravan and I could pull the awning bead through easily. Whoosh, easy slider. Much better than tugging.

Comment

Hey Campers thanks for all the tips and welcomes. Sorry I've not been back, I thought I wd get an email notification of replies - I will have to see if I can set this up.
                            ​​​​​​I will try the various lubrication suggestions , also I like the 4 pack suggestion, I am all for recycling
                            What do you think about removing that cap that you have to hold out the way and keeping the cable end in a plastic bag when not in use? It doesn' t appear to serve a purpose when hooked up ? If I hold it with a thumb and pull the plug out I always scrape the skin off ....
                            and yes its a pfaff connecting up as well as un hooking but mainly because of that cover...
                            Cheers!

Comment

Notifications can be set up under your profile tab (Top Right of screen) user settings.

The cap on the plug is intended to latch onto the socket as a security measure so it can't come out accidentally out. There is a posssibility that if the plug does come out you could have a live cable lying in wet grass which isn't good.

New plugs are only a couple of quid at screwfix and personally I would just put new ones on rather than mess about.
                              Reality is not what it seems

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X