Webasto heating problem in Romahome R40

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webasto heating problem in Romahome R40

dear Ant, I went to turn on the Webasto heating in my Romahome R40, would not turn on , tried several times, took out fuses and replaced but nothing. The control panel flashes green continuously and will not go off. will this drain the leisure battery, it is on hook up at the moment. do you service these heaters? thank you
    Last edited by Graham; 13-02-2018, 11:31 AM. Reason: Changed title for clarity

Hi Bosslady.
    Normally if there's a fault with the unit you'll get a sequence of green flashes followed by red ones, count the red ones they're the fault codes. If it just flashes green ( it will eventually stop flashing) it may just be confused, it's not a good idea to give the heater several instructions in quick succession without allowing it to complete the first, usually 90 secs between knob adjusting.
    Check its got water in the unit, cold nights and days trigger an auto dump function which needs 90 mins to reset after the temp has risen above 5 degrees, if you're using it in cold weather its fine but left unused it will dump its water. Check the battery is fully charged and you have at least a third of fuel in the vehicles tank.
    Now with the 3 fuses removed set the control to high heat ( air only) and the thermostat midway, now replace the fuses in the correct order and touch nothing, hopefully the heater will start, run it hot to clean any excess fuel out of the burner from repeated attempts to start it. The webasto dual top was designed to be switched on as you set off on a camping trip and never turned off ( you can switch between water and air) until you get back home it doesn't like being messed about with.
    I'm afraid I don't have a workshop anymore so can't offer any physical help.
    Thanks
    Ant

Comment

Hi BossLady
      I spent a morning with Ant trying to sort out my R40 heating and made some notes for future reference.

If your R40 is wired the same as mine (late2009 model) then the fuses are behind a hole in the underseat area where the Muvoics unit is located. The fuses are, from the bottom Yellow 20A which controls the supply to the fuses, Red 10A and Blue 15A for the Webasco heater, Yellow 20A rear door light and step, Red 10A fridge and cooker ignition (Ant advised this should be 5A), Yellow 20A for TV, The third fuse (5A) for the Webasco unit is hidden behind the heater control panel
      The fuses should be removed and replaced in the correct order >> To do this, the disconnecting 5 A, 10 A, and 15 A; The fuses are then reinstalled in the reverse order while the device is switched on. I my case I had a problem with the supply to the control panel, which was later sorted by running a new wire from the battery to the control (we couldn’t find where the original wire was supplied from). Also check out the room temperature sensor which is located on the wall between the overlockers and the over cab (ie the smaller of the sleeping areas) Try soaking a tissue in cold water and covering the sensor. Mine was faulty. On the recommendation of another R40 owner, as part of the repair I relocated this sensor to the wall where the rear seat is above the head rest area
      Hope this helps
      Also, for the fault codes check out
      https://www.butlertechnik.com/downlo...structions.pdf

Tony

Comment

Hi Spitfire, I have a Romahome R40 ( 2009 ) and I am getting the dreaded green flashing light.
        i rang Webasto help line and spoke to a guy on the phone and he says that it is more than likely one of the 3 fuses.
        i located the fuse box and found the 2 fuses, but there is no fuse behind the unit.
        i don't suppose by any chance you know where the third fuse could be.
        i know it's a long shot but you may know
        Cheers Eric

Comment

As Ant said the best way to treat these heaters is to turn them on when you leave home and turn them off when you get back. That was the advice from the MD of Webasto in MMM some years ago, and it worked for us over the three years we had an R40.
          Colin

Comment

Sorry Eric, I’ve been very busy and didn’t keep an eye on the forum.

If you haven’t managed to find the in line 5A fuse behind the Webasco control unit, I’m not sure where else to look. Have you tried pulling the harness up from behind the panel to expose more of the wiring? Check out that you are getting 12V to the back of the panel; this will confirm it is a fuse/bad connection problem. If you are having problems with 12V to the panel, run a temporary wire from the leisure battery to the panel to re-establish the supply, it should allow the Webasco unit to start working, and confirm you are on the correct diagnostics

Why was I so busy? Apart from the normal work/family pressures, I decided to re-wire (rip out!!) the Muvonics control system. I’ve been having problems with it since I acquired the van, and was worried that it would fail completely just as I was starting a few weeks away. It took longer than expected to sort out the wiring. The van now has a Sterling battery charger which can charge the leisure and cab battery independently. I’ve also installed a Sterling battery to battery charger to boost the off-grid potential. After alot of thought I went with the Votronic “Terra” control panel (rather than a Zig unit). I’ve still to install the water level indicators for both tanks (water and waste), I’m probably going to get a local company to install them, as crawling under the van to get access looks to be very difficult

We’ve just come back from a week down in Bristol, and the electrics are working fine!

Tony

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
            Working...
            X