As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fridge wont work

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    fridge wont work

    Hi Ant. I have a healthy spark at the pilot and I am holding in the knob at the ignition position but the pilot does not light. I am able to light the hob and the heater ok, any ideas? Nic

    #2
    Hope Ant won't mind me butting in!

    It takes a long long time to light the gas ignition if it's been off for a while, or used on EHU up until now.

    With mine I had to turn the gas knob to the highest setting (usually 3) and press and hold there.

    Press the button and hold it in for a minute, then press the ignition. Then keep on holding in the gas button for a while after it's lit, to let the thermo-coupler warm up. Then release and check that it hasn't gone out. If it has, repeat all over again.

    It took me half an hour of doing this one time before it lit - that was because I had a separate tap to turn on for the gas to the fridge, and no gas will get through until you turn it on and I had forgotten about it! LOL!. If yours is similar, then this might be the cause.

    It should light after a while, could be a bit damp at the back and need to warm up. You could try blowing underneath with a hair dryer in that case.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by jayjay View Post
      It took me half an hour of doing this one time before it lit - that was because I had a separate tap to turn on for the gas to the fridge, and no gas will get through until you turn it on and I had forgotten about it! LOL!.
      Been there - done that!

      When I did turn the gas on first, it used to take about 15 seconds to light, once in a while a bit longer - sometimes a minute or two.

      Ant just replaced all my 20 year old gas tubing with new copper pipe. Now it lights instantly every time.

      I take it that the gas was diffusing out of the old permeable tubes when I wasn't using the fridge on gas. A point worth remembering for those of you with older vans. I assume Ant also cleaned up the flue and what-not, too. He can tell you more...

      Had a great 18 days in the UK - thanks for the super weather! Now back on the other side of the channel and heading south.

      Peter
      http://nomadness.benlo.com
      Last edited by GeoNomad; 01-05-2011, 09:59.

      Comment


        #4
        Hi Nic.
        Classic spider trouble. As you've not blown the the van up I'd say you need to get the fridge burner cleared of all spider debris. They tend to store wrapped ready meals in the burner tubes which diffuses the gas away from the spark. If you try lighting it long enough and get a good build up of gas it may clear the debris in a a bit of a bang but that is not really an ideal way to cure it. You could start a fire under the fridge with all the fluff and hair that builds up under there.
        It might be a fridge out quick clean round and back in again job.
        Ant

        Comment


          #5
          thanks guy, i will try the above and get back to you. Nic

          Comment


            #6
            Hi again. I followed jayjays advice and the pilot light now works, however the fridge does not cool down. Where can I find instruction for removing the fridge so I can give it a really good clean on the workbench? thanks in advance.
            Nic

            Comment


              #7
              Hi Nic.
              I'm not sure which van you have, but before taking out the fridge try running it on both mains and gas at the same time for about 20 - 30 mins. If it's going to work at all it will sart to cool down under those conditions ( even if it only cools slightly you're in with a chance). I just need to add you're not supposed to run them on more than one fuel at a time but it does tend to get the fluid boiling up quickly. If it looks like it's going to work then take it out and turn it upside down, wait for the gurgling to stop and refit it. Once the fridge has settled ( 10 mins) try running it again. Without knowing the age and type of van with some discription of what you've got, I can't really tell you how to get it out.
              Ant

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ant View Post
                Hi Nic.
                I'm not sure which van you have, but before taking out the fridge try running it on both mains and gas at the same time for about 20 - 30 mins. If it's going to work at all it will sart to cool down under those conditions ( even if it only cools slightly you're in with a chance). I just need to add you're not supposed to run them on more than one fuel at a time but it does tend to get the fluid boiling up quickly. If it looks like it's going to work then take it out and turn it upside down, wait for the gurgling to stop and refit it. Once the fridge has settled ( 10 mins) try running it again. Without knowing the age and type of van with some discription of what you've got, I can't really tell you how to get it out.
                Ant

                Hi Ant
                Its a 1990 G reg C15D
                Cheers
                Nic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hi Nic.
                  To remove the fridge you first need to remove the cooker, it may be on a flexible lunken gas hose in which case theres no need to disturb the gas fitting. remove the two screws each side of the grill area and lift the cooker to one side. You will now see the "L" shaped brackets screwed to the top of the fridge, undo them from the fridge, remove the front upper grill above the fridge door and with a slight upward movement pull the fridge out. The exhaust may need lifting off as you can reach it. If the fridge is also fitted with a Lunken hose you may be able to upend the fridge without removing any of the fittings. Once you've completed the process just make sure the exaust is fitted correctly ( make a note of how it goes before you remove the fridge), if you're going to kill yourself as a result of doing the job it will be the carbon monoxide getting into the van from a poorly fitted exhaust that will be the culprit!!
                  Ant

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ant View Post
                    Hi Nic.
                    To remove the fridge you first need to remove the cooker, it may be on a flexible lunken gas hose in which case theres no need to disturb the gas fitting. remove the two screws each side of the grill area and lift the cooker to one side. You will now see the "L" shaped brackets screwed to the top of the fridge, undo them from the fridge, remove the front upper grill above the fridge door and with a slight upward movement pull the fridge out. The exhaust may need lifting off as you can reach it. If the fridge is also fitted with a Lunken hose you may be able to upend the fridge without removing any of the fittings. Once you've completed the process just make sure the exaust is fitted correctly ( make a note of how it goes before you remove the fridge), if you're going to kill yourself as a result of doing the job it will be the carbon monoxide getting into the van from a poorly fitted exhaust that will be the culprit!!
                    Ant
                    Cheers Ant

                    I tried both 12v and gas at the same time for 30 mins last night but the temp stayed exactly the same
                    Nic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Nicseg View Post
                      Cheers Ant

                      I tried both 12v and gas at the same time for 30 mins last night but the temp stayed exactly the same
                      Nic
                      Oh dear! As one last chance, I'd get it out and turn it upside down. The fridge in my campervan was like yours, didn't work until I got it out and did what Ant suggested. There was a lot of gurgling and stuff going on while it was upside down. I left it for an hour, then turned it the right way up and left it for another hour, then hey presto! Worth a try anyway. Mine was dead as a doornail until I tried this and then I never had any trouble afterwards.

                      Just had another thought, the settings need to be on the highest setting when you turn it on, if it's set to 0, it wont get cold. I have a little bar in mine which gets colder to the touch after approx 20 mins, and there is heat coming from the exhaust outside. It doesn't get really really cold until I put the food in though!
                      Last edited by jayjay; 22-06-2011, 09:46.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Bad news. I followed your instructions to a "T" but no joy. turned the fridge upside down and it gurled for a few second, waited about an hour, put it all back together, waited another 20 mins. its been running for about 30 mins now and no change. guess i will have to buy a new one. any recomendations?
                        Nic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Could be just the thermo coupler needs replacing - ant will give you the details and instructions, just let him know the make and model of the fridge.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Hi Nic.
                            It's very unusual for a fridge not to start working after that treatment if you hear the gurgling. Sometimes if it only gurgles for a short while it signifies a low level of coolant fluid in the fridge, but this normally just means it takes longer to get cold and doesn't get really cold. For it to not work at all in strange. Try the dual fuel approach again ( with the engine running if you're using the 12v as one of the fuels) now that you've primed the pipework. It may be that there is just not enough fluid in the fridge to effectively cool. If that's the case I'm afraid replacement is the answer.

                            In answer to Jayjays suggestion. If the gas lights and stays going after you release the knob the thermo couple is working ok.
                            Thanks
                            Ant

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thanks Ant
                              Will try the duel fuel approach tonight, at a risk of looking like a right numpty, which is the coolest setting 3 or 1?
                              Nic

                              Comment

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X