Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INSIDE PAINT ON A DUO

Long shot for me Ant.

Did you ever have to repair and colour match paint anything on the inside of a Duo and if so what was the nearest colour/make

I will be doing the sink edge at some stage.

It doesn't leak and the sink edge itself is strong right through to the underside, it's just a small hole taken out with accompanying crazed gel coat. I know to make a tiny hole at the end of each craze to stop it running and I have a Dremel type tool for slight grinding of the actual craze but once it's filled and rubbed down, I need to be able to colour match it and spray painting the edge seems the easiest option (she says!!)

I did have the option of buying a new one from Jordan at We-cover-Leisure but I left it too late and now they are no longer doing Romahomes.

Romahome on the Isle of Wight say the moulds are no longer available for the making of a new one

If it comes to that Sandra, you could take the unit to a fibreglass company and get them to copy it. As far fetched as that may sound, it is what I did with a cracked plastic sink. The camper was five years old and I got it from Campbells caravans. I discovered that the wash basin plug hole round the plug was cracked and I contacted Campbells who said they would try to get a replacement. It was a Chausson motorhome and I was pretty disgusted with Chausson's delays before they finally said they couldn't replace it. However Campbells came up trumps. They said bring it back and we will get a replacement made in fibreglass, which of course is a lot stronger than plastic. I said I'm a plumber and I can remove and replace it, I would rather do that and not lose the use of the camper. I took the sink to a fibreglass company in Coventry. They had to charge to make a mould, then make the replacement sink from the mould. The total cost was £90, and any more sinks from the same mould would be £40. They matched the off-white colour perfectly. If you paid for the mould and one sink, you could then take orders and have them made for other people and recoup the cost of the original mould.
    suivez l'aventure

Comment

Thanks Andrew. That's interesting.

I assume that's what Jordan from We-Cover-Leisure was going to get done for me, especially as the Isle of Wight say they don't have any moulds so can't make replacements.

You'd think, wouldn't you, that a company responsible for a large brand like Romahome and with many vehicles still on the road, would pay to have a mould or two made and offer that service.
      There must still be many vans with the lift up sink that get damaged over the van's life.

Ah well, I'll research pattern makers and fibreglass moulders locally and see what I can come up with.

I recently used information from this site to recoup some of the marriage allowance - (thanks Brian the Snail for the original info) so John says I can have a new sink if I want it instead of fiddling with the current one. Wasn't that kind of him

Comment

Well, gasgas, I took your advice and looked at local(ish) pattern/mould makers and of the three I messaged one got back to me straight away and he quoted me............wait for it................................................ .............................................

£700 PLUS VAT so plus another £140 = £840 for one tiny sink

After John picked himself up off the floor he said not to bother!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unfair of him

Comment

plus the price of a plug!

Comment

Ah, but it doesn't need a plug doog as it's a lift up sink!!

Comment

Hi Sandra.
              From memory I used an old Triumph Beige with a touch of white to lighten it. Actually the reality was no two Romahome colours were exactly the same.

Comment

Thanks Ant, that's as I suspected.

When we bought the van from Wellsbridge Motors we did a "snag" list and the back door inside had a hole in it which they said they would repair. They did and they did an excellent job. I then rang them to ask what was the name of the paint they used so that I could keep a tin by me for touching up.

"Ummmm. Have spoken to the body repair man and he says he hasn't got a clue as he mixed the paint himself. It was a bit of this and a bit of that and just checking as you go along"

Have been in Halfords today looking at spray paint (but forgot to put the sink back in the van so had nothing smallish I could cart into the shop with me) and there were so many variants of cream that unless I took half a dozen or more cans outside to the car park with me I would not have been able to remember what colour I needed.

I have decided that I will take the sink to my local automotive paint shop where they have a colour matching service and ask them to match the sink so that I can get as close as possible.
                At least if I bodge up the repair the paint will match

Comment

Originally posted by SandraM View Post
                  Thanks Ant, that's as I suspected.

When we bought the van from Wellsbridge Motors we did a "snag" list and the back door inside had a hole in it which they said they would repair. They did and they did an excellent job. I then rang them to ask what was the name of the paint they used so that I could keep a tin by me for touching up.

"Ummmm. Have spoken to the body repair man and he says he hasn't got a clue as he mixed the paint himself. It was a bit of this and a bit of that and just checking as you go along"

Have been in Halfords today looking at spray paint (but forgot to put the sink back in the van so had nothing smallish I could cart into the shop with me) and there were so many variants of cream that unless I took half a dozen or more cans outside to the car park with me I would not have been able to remember what colour I needed.

I have decided that I will take the sink to my local automotive paint shop where they have a colour matching service and ask them to match the sink so that I can get as close as possible.
                  At least if I bodge up the repair the paint will match
                  Most decent paint shops, ( Johnstones, Dulux ) have hand held portable colour readers, I'm sure they wouldn't mind nipping out to the car park , rather than you carting a sink all over the place!

Comment

Good point Dave. Fortunately, our car colour shop has a parking spot outside so if John drives me I can nip in with the sink. I'm a loooong way from that yet.

The weather, she has changed somewhat, and I do not want to tackle this in the house as I've looked at so many youtube videos of how to repair boats etc and listened to the dire warnings about protecting yourself from the cancer causing elements, I think I'll wait until I can cover up, mask up and goggle up, with an old sheet on the ground to catch the bits so that I can dispose of them safely and not on my grass which would be going into my compost bin at some stage.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't thought of that

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X