Spare wheel R25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare wheel R25

Hello Ant, I've been checking the tyre pressures on our R25 ready for our trip to France. When I was doing the spare wheel, (non raked version of R25, so under the rear overhang) I had to remove the tyre from the storage place, because it was placed so that the valve was facing up into the van, and not accessible. Can I turn the tyre over so that the valve is facing down towards the road? I think I could place it so that I can get at it for inflation purposes without having to remove the tyre from the van then. I wanted to check that this was ok, and there wasn't a particular reason for it being placed in the cradle valve uppermost. At the moment I've replaced it exactly as it was. Thanks.

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
    Hello Ant, I've been checking the tyre pressures on our R25 ready for our trip to France. When I was doing the spare wheel, (non raked version of R25, so under the rear overhang) I had to remove the tyre from the storage place, because it was placed so that the valve was facing up into the van, and not accessible. Can I turn the tyre over so that the valve is facing down towards the road? I think I could place it so that I can get at it for inflation purposes without having to remove the tyre from the van then. I wanted to check that this was ok, and there wasn't a particular reason for it being placed in the cradle valve uppermost. At the moment I've replaced it exactly as it was. Thanks.
    its placed valve up,so stones thrown by the wheels dont damage the valve.
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks Ian, I thought there was probably a reason for it, good job I put it back valve uppermost then! I've got a compressor for inflating the tyres which is very effective and is kept in the van, so think I'll do the spare occasionally as it's a bit of a faff to remove, and then top up with the compressor if I have to, in the hopefully unlikely event of needing to use the spare.

Comment

Originally posted by VonUK View Post
        Thanks Ian, I thought there was probably a reason for it, good job I put it back valve uppermost then! I've got a compressor for inflating the tyres which is very effective and is kept in the van, so think I'll do the spare occasionally as it's a bit of a faff to remove, and then top up with the compressor if I have to, in the hopefully unlikely event of needing to use the spare.
        If your van is old enough to require regular MoT then it is a requirement of the process that any spare wheel carried is also checked,so,while they they are doing that I get them to give it a puff of air same as all the other tyres.
        Once not so long ago I was fit enough to do all this myself,no longer,so I rely on a trusted garage and the AA relay in emergency.
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Good advice Ian, thanks. At the moment the van doesn't need MOTing, so it's down to me, or possibly the RAC. How's your unofficial birthday going?

Comment

Hi VonUK
            You can fit a "Spare line" to the spare wheel, this is an air line that fits the spare wheel at one end and attaches to the underside of the body at the other end, which is an ordinary tyre valve fitting, this allows you to check and correct the spare pressure without going near it!
            Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant, that's brilliant, will sort something out when I get back from France. Currently sitting outside the bar at Bien Assise campsite enjoying the free wifi, no drink unfortunately as bar doesn't open until the evening

Comment

I think there as as many con's as pro's about which way up a spare wheel should be.
                Admittedly the valve is more exposed when pointing downwards. And in the early tubeless days when valves were metal bolted in ones the argument was probably valid. Try knocking a modern pull-in valve off with a hammer and you will see what I mean. It is very difficult to damage it. Unless it is past its "best before" date. In which case it should already have been changed.
                I think it more likely, though not very, that the surface finish of the wheel is more likely to suffer if exposed downwards to water and grit spray. Though the other way up water can collect where the disc centre joins the rim. Causing corrosion damage to the finished surface.
                I have always carried an underslung spare with the valve down for convenience. Never had any trouble at all. Or seen any in almost 50 years in the Motor Trade.
                Jim.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X