Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More on the battery theme :(

Hi Ant (or anyone else who can help)

My leisure battery seems to have run out of charge. I'm not sure what happened but the sparker for the fridge had been on for some time (I think) on our trip to Scotland this weekend. When we went to use the lights, they were dim and then they went out. I had the fridge in the travel position as well.

I drove the van for two hours home with everything off and hoped this would charge the battery again but it didn't. I've tried to read up about the battery and the Zig system but I find it very complicated and confusing.

My question is about getting a decent charge in there again. The battery is a Numax XV24MF and the batter indicator is showing black (needs charging). As you know we haven't had the van a year yet (7 months). Will I be able to charge it up again by just general driving or an EHU or will I need to take it out and use a battery charger or...is it beyond help?

Thanks as always,

Barbara Anne

Our system is different from yours - and we have absolutely no idea what we are talking about ............but I seem to recall being told that if the auxiliary battery went completely flat, it would blow a fuse when the engine starts.......

But lets wait for Ant to give you proper advice
    Mary

Comment

I made the mistake of going online and reading about batteries and Zig systems and am more confused than ever!

Hope you are ok. Are you still round and about in our area after 18th?

BA
      x

Comment

Too much information can be a dangerous thing. Very sadly being VW we dont have an 'Ant' to ask and we do have a mysterious intermittent engine noise that sounds like someone with a sewing machine is under the bonnet!

Thinking the weekend of the 25th - are you around or away?
        Last edited by Vanderella; 13-06-2011, 22:33.
        Mary

Comment

Hi Barbara Anne.
          Firstly leaving the sparker going on the fridge wont effect your leisure battery. Leaving the fridge switched to 12volts wont run the battery down either, it only starts to work when the engine is running. Your lack of charging via the engine will be due to a blown fuse. Lift the bonnet, look to your right and you'll see a sguare ( well square-ish) black box, remove the lid of the box and in the top left corner of the box you'll see a fuse with a clear plastic cover on it- marked caravan fuse ( that is if they fitted the cover). It will have a 25amp fuse in it, ( probably blown!). There is no point in replacing the fuse with another 25 amp as it will probably blow too. Either charge the leisure battery up on the mains via its own zig charger ( 24 hrs ) and then fit a replacement 25amp fuse or fit a larger fuse ( 30 amp ) and start the engine. If the fuse holds you can check the metre on the zig panel reads in the green when switched to the caravan position. I must admit I tend to change the fuse for a 30amp and leave it in, that way you can use the battery until it's fairly low without the risk of it not charging when you drive off.
          Thanks
          Ant

Comment

Thanks Ant. Aud and I feel very mechanical as we have just taken the blown (as you said!) fuse from the little black box and are now going to get a 30amp fuse to replace it. It's all very technical but we are up to the job!

So, am I correct in thinking that when the voltage in the battery gets too low, the current (the amps) goes rushing across the circuit too fast (a power surge?) and then the fuse blows cos the amps are too high going to the battery? Is it a bit like weather systems?

BA

Comment

Hi Mary,

I hope you are suitably impressed with my attempt at being a mechanic. I find things easier to work out if I understand the systems and you never know when Ant might need an assistant - Antman and Dobbin...

The weekend of 25th would be good,I think! I will get back to you asap

BA
              x

Comment

Did you see I was right, just call me 'Mechanical Mary' - I said it was a fuse
                Mary

Comment

I am thoroughly impressed, Mechanical Mary! You certainly know about blowing a fuse Looks like I'd have some competition in going for the Ant's Assistant post! However, I've heard that it's in the job description that you have to wear sparkly lycra like Paul Daniel's wife

Looks like Ian might be hot competition in that department

BA
                  x

Comment

Sparkly Lycra?!! I can't say I've seen many Lycra clad beings that do it for me!
                    Your assumption about the power surge is correct, the flattest battery of the two will take most of the charge to start off with and if it's very flat the alternator whacks out spike of charge which normally blows the 25amp fuse.

I'll start refering my Scottish customers in need of help to you shortly!
                    Ant

Comment

Thanks again Ant I'm assuming you are referring the Scottish customers to because you think I'm north of the Border not because you think I will understand the accent and dialect better I'm actually in Staffordshire!

Once we are trained up a bit, Mary can be the North Staffs Ant Assistant and I can be the South Staffs Ant Assistant. What about this as a uniform??
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ewig View Post
                        . What about this as a uniform??
                        Does it come in green in a Size 20?
                        Mary

Comment

Hi Ewig.
                          Have you been spying on me? I only wear that on my days off!!

Staffs' is much nearer Scotland than Bristol!
                          Ant

Comment

Originally posted by Ewig View Post
                            Thanks again Ant I'm assuming you are referring the Scottish customers to because you think I'm north of the Border not because you think I will understand the accent and dialect better I'm actually in Staffordshire!

Once we are trained up a bit, Mary can be the North Staffs Ant Assistant and I can be the South Staffs Ant Assistant. What about this as a uniform??
                            Ok you `ve got your photo now can I take the thing off? its hot in here! wheres the Zip? Ewig? Ewig? wheres the Zip! Ewig? Anyone!
                            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                              Ok you `ve got your photo now can I take the thing off? its hot in here! wheres the Zip? Ewig? Ewig? wheres the Zip! Ewig? Anyone!
                              Sorry Ian, I think Ewig has gone trekking in Nepal for 18 months (no internet)!

What do your work colleagues think of your change of appearance?
                              Mary

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X