Rear Springs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Springs

Hi there Ant (or any other knowledgeable member)
    Back in the summer I said we had a very bad knocking noise and it's taken until now to (hopefully fingers, toes and eyes all crossed) find out the problem (anti roll bar ball joint)

Whilst the mechanic was sorting that out he discovered that one of the rear springs had broken. He says he tried to source one for us but thinks it's something retro fitted and not part of the base vehicle. If we get a pair he will fit them. I have tried to find out via the search facility just what part we need but it is a bit confusing.

I am attaching a photo of the offending part and it does appear to be broken.

Can you identify it for me please and tell me what I should be ordering

Back in July you replied to an enquiry by Zasker as this

(A 2002 Berlingo should be on an 800kg platform cab, the Grayston spring I think is the 31B14H "H" for heavy duty, the heavy duty MAD spring will do the same job and normally cures the bottoming out problem. If you still have a problem with the assistors fitted there may be an issue with the torsion arms, with the right equipment the torsion arms can be made stiffer otherwise they'll need replacing.)

Ours is a 2002 Duo.. should I be looking for Grayston springs or would it be better to go straight for MAD ?

spring.JPG Many thanks for your assistance Ant

Call that a broken spring? This is a broken spring!

brokenspring.png

(from my Howard's service video)

Unfortunately the service notes don't detail exactly which springs they replaced mine with.

Comment

Sandra, you must always replace springs as a pair - the same applies to the shock absorbers.
      Jon
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
      https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks BrianTheSnail .We are doing both

. It's just that the mechanic (proper garage, been going there for years - although it was taken over a couple of years ago) and I was surprised that he thought the springs were fitted as part of the conversion? I thought all vans had springs.

He reckons he can fit them, he just doesn't know what to get or where to get them and since neither John nor I are mechanically minded,it's the blind leading the blind !!

Flipping heck, I was worried about our spring. Your one looks really bad.

Comment

The rear of a Berlingo of that age has torsion bar suspension. The "helper" springs were fitted by Romahome at the time of buid. they used MAD springs but the Grayston ones are as good. You could use either as long as stated above you fit a pair. MAD would be easiest to fit they just replace the existing ones. Grayston may need the mounting plates adjusting.

Peter

Comment

Many thanks peterholden

Comment

Hi Sandra.
              That's a MAD spring, you can get a replacement from Ekollon, just ask Dave for a pair of B11 Berlingo Romahome springs, you can pay over the phone and they'll send them to wherever you want them sent. With the van up on a wheel free ramp it should only take 5 mins to fit them.

Comment

Just found Ekollons number 01386 882997

Comment

ant you are a star. Many thanks

Comment

I hope it all goes well, Sandra!

Comment

Thanks jayjay, so do I !! More expense. £300+ yesterday for an MOT and the necessary work to get rid of the noise (which caused it to fail the MOT in the first place)

Comment

Sandra you are lucky, our 8 year old Berlingo car cost over £200 in parts to get it through and that was jsut front brakes and front springs.

My 60 year old land rover is much cheaper on parts

Peter

Comment

OK, we'll play - last Friday's MOT bill was £850 for our 8 year old R20 - two new MAD spring assisters, two new rear brake cylinders and a new tyre (I'd missed the split it in) and a couple of minor bits. The expense doesn't stop there - it still needs a new rear light cluster (damp ingress on the existing one so quite rusty) and new top rubber mounts for the air-box.

But we'd budgeted for the springs so it wasn't quite so painful and let's face it, given the amount of nights we use the van, still cheap holidaying.

Comment

MAD Springs I had fitted last June part number HV-136120 cost £175.78 incl. carriage. This was for the full kit as the originals had been removed the previous year due to a broken spring and MOT fail; The mountings were in a bit of a state so went for the full kit.
                            If the mountings are OK, you can just buy the springs.
                            Dave at Ekollon is very helpful.

Comment

Thanks Gulliver7952 . I have emailed MAD and had a reply and will be ordering the pair of springs today.

Ant suggested B11 Berlingo Romahome springs, for our 2002 but you are giving a different number. Is yours a different year to our 2002?

I've no doubt that Dave (or Clive Berry who replied) will be able to sort me out. Thanks again

Comment

widgetinstance 226 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X