Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel heater "Lock Out"

Ant,
    Tried to fire up the heater this weekend, two failed starts, dragging down battery voltage, cause "Zig" inadvertently switched off with other loads on system, methinks. Reluctant to go for third start as recollect unit will "Lock Out" and cannot be reset. If I kill power to heater will it reset the fault count ?. Called local Eberspacher agent "should get 4 or 5 start attempt's mate, if not just pop it along to us mate". Sounds like the softening up process to a hefty bill. Can you please advise.

Many Thanks.

Geoff.
    Last edited by macamxth1st; 27-06-2011, 16:35. Reason: addition.

Geoff.
    You get 3 attempts with low voltage then you buy a new "ECU" at about £400!
    Either plug it into the mains or run the engine while trying the third attempt( put thermstat setting to full temp). Make sure the voltage indicator is well into the green before trying. I prefer to run the engine as this also fills the fuel line to the heater. Once the heater has fired and run hot ( ie thermostat has controlled the fan speed) you can switch it off and will be credited with 3 more dodgy voltage attempts.
    Ant

Comment

Ant,

Thank you very much for that, will have to fuel up before I try it as we are nearly empty from the last trip and I believe that you need at least a 1/4 of a tank to obtain a permissive.

Thanks again.

Geoff.

Comment

I am sorry if this appears a stupid question but WHY for heavens sake is the unit designed to lock permenantly in this way??? Even if it is for saftey reasons you would think there would be a reset switch???? Low battery is not exactly an infrequent problem.

Comment

It would seem, thanks to Geoffs research and contact with Eberspacher, that the later heater units don't lock out until 255 attempts of low voltage start up and can be reset by the dealer diagnostic tool. I've got the tool and it certainly hasn't been able to reset the earlier heaters , so I'm now in contact with Eberspacher to try and find out when the change occurred. In the mean time I'd stick to the 3 attempts!

Strange for such a critical point we weren't told!?
          Ant

Comment

It certainly does seem a strange "feature", Ant - because as far as I know, my 2000 Webasto series heaters don't lock-out like these Eberspacher ones.

Mike

Comment

I've now had a response from Eberspacher, ( i'm impressed at thier speedy reply) and it seems the 3 times lock out has not been the case for some years as far as the low volt start up is concerned, however there are some fault features that still share the 3 times lock out, the most common being the over heat fault. In these cases the control unit may still need to be replaced.

So unless your van is reasonably young my advice would still be not to try running it with low voltage and to avoid any over heating lock outs keep both the exhaust and inlet pipes clear of dirt and blockages.

pity we weren't told before but better late than never!

Ant

Comment

Surely this is ridiculous, especially from a major manufacturer. I am not technical but it occurs to me it simply needs a "device" inserted in the current supply to the Zig unit that refuses to allow the flow of current to the unit below a certain voltage, say just above the critical switch-off voltage. Maybe a relay or a diode? As I said, I am not technical but I am certain there is someone out there who can advice and supply such an item. How about doing it and shaming the manufacturer? The cut-out may be built in as a safeguard but only to safeguard the faults that should not be there in the first place. Personally, I think as it is the Eberspacher unit is coming very close to the legal definition of "not fit for purpose". Graham and Carole

Comment

Diesel heater

Hi Ant I don't want to start a new thread but just want to know if you sevice
                  the heating system as mine has got smelly and no one wants to touch it.

Comment

Hi Zoe1zoe2.
                    It sounds like your heater is getting coked up a bit, this is quite common as they tend not to run hot and hard in a Romahome. Servicing it would probably mean an Eberspacher dealer will want to change the combustion chamber (£££). If I get obviously coked up heaters I run them long and hard, sometimes fooling the thermostat with a cooling fan and keeping all doors and windows open. If they run flat out for an hour that normally cures them. Sometimes I have to give in and strip the heater and change parts but not very often.
                    Ant

Comment

Diesel heater

Thankyou I will take your advice and see what happens. I will let you know the outcome.Zoe1zoe2

Comment

diesel heater smelly

Thanks Ant tried blasting the heater and is now good brilliantzoe1zoe2

Comment

Ant,

Just got back from a cracking trip and while away attempted to fire up the heater (two previous fails on "low voltage") as recommended did so with engine running and being the careful type also on mains hook up. No problem, fired straight up then ran it flat out for 1/2 hour (bit of a smell of roasted Ex wildlife) now all fine and dandy. Also in passing, just a little lesson in going for the obvious, I have been "chasing a leak" for a few months now always finding a little puddle in the back of the van when checking it before a trip. Had all sorts of horrible explanations for this conjured up in my mind but turns out that all it was the door retaining catch required a little adjustment as the water was getting past the seal and running down after I washed it after each trip. "Stupid boy Pike"

Geoff.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X